USH/KTM Challenger

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
steamaheadstephen59

USH/KTM Challenger

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:38 pm

Image Image Image I don't recall seeing to many USH Challengers on the bay for sale ( its my main source ) so I was stunned and great full to get this one in Australia. I also look forward to getting my Lobough Challenger together. It has full brake rigging for tender and engine, booster in the rear truck, those funny crosses in the stack, back head detail and a nice coal load, and I don't know what other extra detail was added. The cab roof was bent at the corners but a little work fixed that. Any Challenger discussion would be great!
Last edited by steamaheadstephen59 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bob turner

Re: USH/KTM Challenger

Postby bob turner » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:32 pm

I agree - any Challenger discussion would be great. Not sure why, but this forum has a time limit on my photos - it appears to be around 2 1/2 years. I posted all of my Challengers in a threadcalled Union Pacific Steam 2020. All are now gone, although the images still exist on Shutterfly.

A little later, I will stuff them all in here.

Really nice looking model. If I wasn’t a Lobaugh nut I would be a USH collector.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:33 am

I think USH, KTM, Max Grey borrowed a lot from Lobough in its style of construction, cast frames removable axles and bearings etc.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:43 am

That is a beautiful loco! And, it has a lot of added details that didn't come on any of the KTM built locos. The individual stacks are different, as well as some of the detail around it and the crosses are something I've never seen on the prototype or model before. The overall condition just looks fantastic. Love to see some more photos.

You're right, Challengers are far and few between. I've been looking for one for some time. I've got (2) PSC UP articulated loco complete detail kits (thought I sold the 1st one and then found it after buying a second) and always planned on super detailing a BB or Challenger.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm

Here is one of the earlier Lobaugh Challengers:

And its Union Pacific cousin:

Note that these are early Challengers - often called "Fetters" Challengers - to distinguish them from the later "Jabelmann" Challengers with larger fireboxes and centipede tenders.

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:45 am

Very nice, a beautiful Challenger in excellent condition.

The USH models are a wonderful “base” for detailing.

What’s the plan for it?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:56 pm

Stephen,

That's a GREAT piece! You are a lucky man! Car & Locomotive Shop (the late Henry Bultmann) did a dandy in Western Maryland livery.

Rich
Last edited by E7 on Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:06 pm

Note the handrail posts - Max probably got them from Lobaugh. Yes, I agree - really nice model, and done very well by the Japanese craftsmen.

Here are some more Lobaugh - I'll do a couple of the Jabelmann versions:

This one was the late Peter Cousins (I will correct that spelling soon - ) he used to ask me questions at OSW about how to complete it, and we became friends. I got mostly parts from his estate, and put this together with his name on a card inside.

This one is now complete, but I thought you might like to see one in its mid-construction state. Yes, all the rivets you see were pressed here while watching the news channels. I think I have four of these complete, and one kinda sitting around waiting for more parts to show up.

As an aside, Dennis made rods for me, from patterns duplicating the Lobaugh rods - but the rear side rod from Lobaugh was incorrect - the real one was a straight rod, not tapered. I got a note and photos from Bill Kratville explaining that little detail.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:26 pm

Here is a strange one - Lobaugh did the NP Challenger before 1941, but only a few have surfaced. I used pieces of Lobaugh, along with wood blocks and lots of artistic license to create this one. It is powered (although noisy) by my "twin spool" design - the front driveshaft runs right through the rear worm shaft. Yes, the tender body is a wood block. I do have drawings for the NP and D&H tenders done by Lobaugh, and both appear to have been guesses, based on no more than photos. My D&H is taller than Lobaugh, and this thing is lots longer.

I do have the correct PSC tender trucks, but so far have been doing other things . . .

Again thanks to Dave Goodson (Scale Craft Dave) for the decals. That was several decades ago.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:47 am

Image This is the underside of the Challenger. It was asked what my plans are for this loco and the answer is, just enjoy it for now. The forum was down for me at least, so my answers are late. Bob I love your the Northern Pacific Challenger I have MR plans with the centipede tender Z-8 I think, how about in 17/64 th scale,

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:04 am

Whoever worked on that model was a real craftsman, everything is straight, secured and plumb. The box under the trailing truck is unique.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:55 am

Image Image The tender underside has some extra detail on the truck, and the coal load in the tender is done on a nice brass tray and is easily removed an door panel has been added replacing the etched door.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”