3R model adapted to 2R (MRR RF16 "Sharks")

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: 3R model adapted to 2R (MRR RF16 "Sharks")

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:14 am

bob turner wrote:Wasn't clear whether Rich was talking about C-Liners in a box or Sharks.

Actually, both. I have an A+ B of the old NJ Custom Brass sharks that need finished. I have NO idea how accurate they are to the prototype. Got them years ago, and they are still in the box they came in.

I also have several of the plastic C-Liners (package deal) that I hope to do the lost plastic thing to a couple of them. Got the Turner "Me like metal" disease.

Bob: As for what roads rostered what equipment, Wikipedia is a pretty good source for that information. If you searchthe type of Loco, they usually have a chart of what roads had what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharknose

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... hosted_003

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:17 am

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:24 am

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:49 am

De Bruin The RF-16 is alone, got it cheep on the bay, Im still looking for a mate for it, I do have a Williams brass B unit, If I had some Lionel trucks that might work?? or not??

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:39 am

steamaheadstephen59 wrote:De Bruin The RF-16 is alone, got it cheep on the bay, Im still looking for a mate for it, I do have a Williams brass B unit, If I had some Lionel trucks that might work?? or not??

Yeah if it passes your "eye test" why not? My threshold is if the car body contours are close enough between the two and yeah getting the same truck side bolster length and details would be a good thing given that's such a great feature in your unit. There's a Bachman (looks like a PVC shell) version of the Williams Shark B unit on Ebay right that it looks okay, though again your side by side comparison would be key. As I recall those original brass Williams RF16's are indeed strange due to the appearance of the A unit which looks like someone grafted a C-liner nose onto it. Weird.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am

This is interesting, listed as being able to employ the William Trainmaster chassis. What's really strange about the model image is it's an A unit car body with no prototype I can find. It's described as a three part resin kit however the rear section doesn't correspond to any of the A1A trucked "babyface" Baldwin passenger units (there are not that many- CNJ, SAL, GM&O, NYC) The 1st cab section and the second middle section sort of corresponds to the CNJ's first version of the double ended "Jersey Janus" DRX-6-4-2000 though so I assume buying two of the first cab sections and one middle section would approximately render one of those, however the notched roof on the unit's cab end is only good for the second version of the CNJ's which has a radically different (cleaner) vent, porthole and cab door arrangement. oh well.
Last edited by De Bruin on Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:47 am

Good thing I don't do resin or babyface Baldwins.

On the trucks, those Kemtron RS trucks are close, and appear often in the used market. Superb castings.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:56 pm

bob turner wrote:Good thing I don't do resin or babyface Baldwins.

You're lucky SP never bought much of that weird stuff. If you haven't watched that You Tube piece on the Centipede you should check it out. Turns out the reason the centipedes were developed was for ride quality, thus the wheels being closer together.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:41 pm

I made a good faith effort to watch it. Painful, and interspersed with ads. I saw the real thing in Berwyn, on the main line, in 1959 - it sent up a hot piece of rail that burned through my jacket! Impressive, and still ugly.

Much happier with E7s, PAs, and SDs, not to mention Sharks and Erie-Builts.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”