OST Transitions to Annual in 2024

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Re: OST Transitions to Annual in 2024

Postby up148 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:12 pm

My mistake Sarge, you're right, it didn't really change until after it sold to White River. I was confused with the timeline and forgot about the transition period between Joe's passing and the WR purchase.....old minds work like that. I know (and appreciate) that You and Marty put a lot of time and effort into the magazine and it remained like an old friend for that period.

Glad to see you still frequent the forum.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:42 pm

sarge wrote:
up148 wrote:OST has been on a downward spiral ever since Joe Giannoverio passed away....hard to believe it has been 10 years.

Why thank you, Butch.

I very much hope Jaini never sees that after she poured her soul and not an insignificant amount of her savings into bringing it back to life after Joe's death as both a service to the scale and a legacy, not to mention how Marty now knows his efforts were worthwhile as he tried his best under the White River ownership.

After all it would have been far easier to leave it dead on the ground at ten years old rather than investing the effort and self to double its lifespan.

I can't leave these people undefended. They cared, as did Jim D., the rest of the columnists, and a host of authors, all of whom put their stamp on the magazine.

Thank you, Brian.

What you and Jaini (and I along the way in the back room...), along with a very, very short list of others did to keep OST alive for 5 years has been very poorly appreciated or understood by almost all, and it was quite frankly as some personal cost of us all in varying currencies.

What was done to keep it alive for another 5 years with WRP is not easily described, nor understood by many, nor the very real associated costs. I'd like to be able to think I did not waste 5 years of my life trying to assemble the best possible publication working with whatever every modeler submitted for consideration.

I have 3 more regular issues to assemble before whatever an annual even is for OST. There remain significant unknowns going forward, not the least of which is my now questioning why bother at all.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:43 pm

Marty, thank you for your work with OST. Good to see you back on MRJ!

Dan Weinhold

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:45 pm

Agreed!

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:26 pm

Thank you Dr Brechbiel, for your hard work and dedication; OST in the past few years has been beautiful, I've enjoyed every issue very much. Again my sincerest thanks. -Erik

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:26 pm

I agree; even as an old tinplater, I’ve learned a lot over the years and I frequently find it motivating. It’ll be interesting to see what an “annual” format looks like. In the meantime, thanks to all involved for the volume and quality of work over the years.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:31 pm

I know ALL the editors at OST busted their contributors asses if need be, to get it right.
Unless you've been involved yourself it's difficult to convey how much work from all parties goes into those articles, even small ones, much less the layout and "paste up". I can't imagine how much work the regular columnists have had to put in either though bro' Jim and Gene Clements have enlightened me when asked. It's a serious commitment.
I'm very saddened it's going to an "annual" format (whatever that means) too,
it damn sure won't remotely be the same and I'll miss that for sure.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:50 pm

I should stay out of it, but:

Everybody likes to be recognized for their work - even here.

Putting out a magazine is getting increasingly difficult. Most of what titillates us is now available on-line for free.

Even in O Scale we have differences - doorstops, perfect brass imports, scenery, trackwork - a magazine has to combine all that, and still get contributions. If your magazine is 20 pages layouts and scenery, ten pages plastic rolling stock, and one page steam locomotives, there are one or two of us who might be doing something else . . .

I know where Jaini and the guys are - when Dan Henon suffered his stroke, OSN and OGR were all we had - no internet. I personally really tried to do my part. By golly, I think I succeeded. You may not agree, but what I think is what is important to me.

I am basically done. I post here, and beyond that I am really no longer involved. I may have one more article in me, but I have no desire to be a regular contributor. When feedback here drops to zero (in my case it is getting close) I will be outta here.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:44 am

I'm sure this is a financial decision by WRP, as paper publishing (much to my disappointment) has almost become a true dinosaur. I enjoy having something in my hands to read and not a Kindle or whatever is around today. Maybe going to an annual it can be more profitable for WRP....I hope so. I remember way back when there was another annual publication (maybe the OGR Bob mentioned) for O scale and I looked forward to it, even before moving into "O" scale. IIRC it was mostly about layout and owners, but was a great inspiration.

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:40 am

Mr Turner,

You have done some amazing contributions to the magazines and I fondly look back at all the amazing content you produced which highly influenced my desire to stay in o scale 2 rail. It worked in my case! Those magazines, OST included would have never been as good as they are if not for your involvement, #facts.. OST will go on, annual or not it's still there. I sure enjoy them despite the dinosaur status print has become. Dr Brechbiel's articles always caught my attention as well; so well produced. Like you, he also is a legend in my opinion. He may not know how much I respect him and how highly I place him in this cool hobby, he does now!

Thanks guys for sharing your hobby and tremendous expertise, talent, and skills with us. I'll keep looking and reading even if it's just once a year. Here's to the next issues keep publishing that gold content. -Erik

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:28 am

I guess time will tell, but does one subscribe to an annual, or just buy one-off copies when issued (annually)? I have a couple other annual subscriptions, one being a 3-year to the Hagerstown Almanac, so I presume this will/could be offered similarly. The publishing world is in such a state of flux anymore, seems little is as it once was.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:05 pm

up148 wrote:I'm sure this is a financial decision by WRP, as paper publishing (much to my disappointment) has almost become a true dinosaur. I enjoy having something in my hands to read and not a Kindle or whatever is around today. Maybe going to an annual it can be more profitable for WRP....I hope so. I remember way back when there was another annual publication (maybe the OGR Bob mentioned) for O scale and I looked forward to it, even before moving into "O" scale. IIRC it was mostly about layout and owners, but was a great inspiration.

You can bet your Bippy it's about the money, as thy used to say on "Laugh In".

A perfect example: I enjoy reading novels. Used to be one could purchase a new hard back book for around $15. One of my favorite authors, a gent by the name of Michael Koryta has a new story coming out at the end of the month: $39!

The magazine has to PAY the people who produce the thing and the printers and the cost of the physical material the thing is made of. How many news stands near You? 50 miles to the nearest one to me, and I choose NOT to subscribe for personal reasons.

I couldn't even get a hard copy of the instructions for my cell phone, and I don't know any 5 year olds to program it for me! :mrgreen:

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:30 pm

healey36 wrote:I guess time will tell, but does one subscribe to an annual, or just buy one-off copies when issued (annually)? I have a couple other annual subscriptions, one being a 3-year to the Hagerstown Almanac, so I presume this will/could be offered similarly. The publishing world is in such a state of flux anymore, seems little is as it once was.

I suspect it can be done either way. I think the issue (no pun intended) is how many hard copies are printed?

And is the thing available as a digital file (guessing that would would be cheaper yet), and could be sent to your E-mail.

There may be some blue sky among the clouds!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:56 pm

healey36 wrote:I guess time will tell, but does one subscribe to an annual, or just buy one-off copies when issued (annually)? I have a couple other annual subscriptions, one being a 3-year to the Hagerstown Almanac, so I presume this will/could be offered similarly. The publishing world is in such a state of flux anymore, seems little is as it once was.

As far as I know, there's no subscription - you buy the new one when it's available like the On30 Annual.

I have no idea if there are electronic versions of any of the Annuals. It appears not, but that could change.

I have less yet of any idea if this is even worthy of pursuit or participation in given the comments regarding the current magazine.
The time to walk away from all my editor gigs may be on the visible horizon.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:21 am

sarge wrote:
up148 wrote:OST has been on a downward spiral ever since Joe Giannoverio passed away....hard to believe it has been 10 years.

Why thank you, Butch.

I very much hope Jaini never sees that after she poured her soul and not an insignificant amount of her savings into bringing it back to life after Joe's death as both a service to the scale and a legacy, not to mention how Marty now knows his efforts were worthwhile as he tried his best under the White River ownership.

After all it would have been far easier to leave it dead on the ground at ten years old rather than investing the effort and self to double its lifespan.

I can't leave these people undefended. They cared, as did Jim D., the rest of the columnists, and a host of authors, all of whom put their stamp on the magazine.

I definitely agree with you, Sarge. That statement is inaccurate, at best.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”