Parmele & Sturges EP3

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
steamaheadstephen59

Re: Parmele & Sturges EP3

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:27 am

Image I have been inspired to do little work. I need a roof now can anyone help with some pics of the original roof top, side and under side, is it cast? or sheet brass?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:04 pm

I can probably do that in an e-mail. I believe the original was sand cast, but I would simply use wood. Easily formed, and way easier to attach tanks, pans, etc. I have done wood roofs on several models, including a PB and that intriguing three-truck Mexicano electric. Sheet brass would be a distant second for this particular model.
But way to go! How are you going to do the louvers on the sides?

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:38 pm

Yes Bob ,Ive been considering a wood roof too, but I do like metal. I'm still deciding. The louvers ,at first I thought a dermal and a dental bur, but that could get hard to control. I'm thinking I might just cut them in with jewellers gravers.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:22 am

Image I decided metal, couldn't find a suitable piece of wood lying around. So we have the beginnings of a roof, lots of work to do.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:45 am

Looks good from here - you must have a really good slip-roll.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:21 pm

steamaheadstephen59 wrote:I decided metal, couldn't find a suitable piece of wood lying around. So we have the beginnings of a roof, lots of work to do.

Something about your camera/phone(?) makes the body look a lot longer that it really is. Anyway, you are making good progress.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Sat May 13, 2023 9:53 am

A fool and his money again lmao... found another one, but in the raw casting state. Also seemingly a different drive set up. This one does not have the vertical spring leveling system the others we have been talking about have so maybe this is an early version of the P&S?? Also see that the power trucks swivel from the center of each versus the end mounting of the other units( or at least my other unit lol). Will see more when this box of bricks shows up.
Doorstop Rookie

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Sat May 13, 2023 9:54 am

By the way, Stephen, that thing looks great so far! You are moving fast lol
Doorstop Rookie

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sun May 14, 2023 1:54 am

Thanks Dennis, I was out doing a little more yesterday, air tanks, hatches etc Its all educated guess work. The pictures are a grate help, and motivator, what a great find. Im going to be cheeky and ask, are you finding these on the bay, because all Im seeing there, is the same old same old. The prices are too high, and they sit month after month. Its become harder to search 'O Scale' too. I notice that on the air tanks, where you have a second layer on top of the tank, there are lugs missing on your castings. Thats at least three variations.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Sun May 14, 2023 9:59 am

Yes, found both on the bay, this last one was listed as a buy it now for about the price of a tank of gas. I paid a bit more for the complete one but I don't get to shows and these at least aren't terribly common. it went for less than the last couple of Alexander GG1's I have seen sell. Less than the ones that are set at a high buy it now though lol My main problem is I travel quite a bit for work and then when I do have time I could spend working on some constructive project, I get distracted by something else lol. SO sometimes takes me a while to circle back.

Also, yes, I agree, this latest one seems to have some differences like not having the cast in spring tubes in the body casting or the corresponding plates on the truck sideframes. Also don't see the upper spring hanger detail. The way the power trucks mount to the body seems different as well. I don't have that aricle that Jim wrote to reference so kind of curious as to all the known variations. I guess if we keep buying enough junk we may cover them all lol.
Doorstop Rookie

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 14, 2023 1:51 pm

I think I should include this one from Carey

Pretty crude, but it seems to be a progenitor of the P & S model. Its posting on OGR brought zero comments (not my fault, of course) so I thought it would be a good thing to tag it here.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Here is Carey's data sheet:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”