Atlantics 2023

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Atlantics 2023

Postby bob turner » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:37 pm

I of course think thread drift is ok, and cannot control how far these things drift from the original topic - but what I am trying for here is photos of your Atlantics. Mine are all SP or PRR, and I have to admit - I did not favor the Atlantic type when I began my modeling career. It has grown on me.

So, I will repeat Maroon's Atlantic here, and then follow up with my SP collection:

bob turner

Re: Atlantics 2023

Postby bob turner » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:43 pm

Here is my attempt to copy that, using an All Nation boiler (supplied by Maroon):

Note that the tender is a 90 C. I have no 100 C tenders in my collection, but that will get rectified soon. Surprisaingly, the later Lobaugh Pacific tender is long enough, but it is a cross between SP and KCS. I may use a modified Lobaugh in my current attempt, which will be #3001 in Daylight colors. Obviously, this model is neither finished nor powered. It is parked as-is for now, and #3001 is standing on its own wheels, bolts between boiler and mechanism. Start the tender tonight?

For reference, let me insert a more or less stock A-N Atlantic:

Last edited by bob turner on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:52 pm

Here is my very first Atlantic - SP #3000. At the time, I was not particularly enamored with the Daylight scheme on anything smaller than a Pacific, but I have now changed my mind. This thing, with cast iron 84" Lobaugh drivers, has pulled ten Kasiner coaches with 3/4" pine flooring and roof insert, and metal trucks, at track speed. Remarkable! It convinced me that for smaller wheelbase models, fully sprung has only to do with aesthetics. If you have cast iron tires and steel rails, the only thing that counts is how much weight is on the drivers that are in contact with steel.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:46 pm

I do like the 3000.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:52 pm

bob turner wrote:Here is my very first Atlantic - SP #3000. At the time, I was not particularly enamored with the Daylight scheme on anything smaller than a Pacific, but I have now changed my mind. This thing, with cast iron 84" Lobaugh drivers, has pulled ten Kasiner coaches with 3/4" pine flooring and roof insert, and metal trucks, at track speed. Remarkable! It convinced me that for smaller wheelbase models, fully sprung has only to do with aesthetics. If you have cast iron tires and steel rails, the only thing that counts is how much weight is on the drivers that are in contact with steel.

I used to astound Joe Rudinski and Woody on Joe's pike when I dragged a SC engine over there.
Joe would holler across the room "Dave, we determined that 12 cars is maximum on our grades!"
I hollered back "Is that a challenge?".

I kept adding cars, I think I emptied the yards at 36.

Gotta love bronze boilers and cast iron tires.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:28 pm

This is my last post of SP Atlantics until I get 3001 loaded in the camera. It needs adjustment, and a longer tender for its first photo session.
This one is of interest because of the road name (CRY&P was an SP subsidiary) and because I machined the drivers from rough castings, all four of which were extremely heavy counterweight castings. Took a lot of jewelers saws and Swiss files. Again 84" Lobaugh, and since there never was an 80" spoked steamer with really heavy counterweights, there are a lot of Lobaugh castings lying around out there.
Oh - and the sand dome - I got a lot better at sand domes after I did these two. Dennis took my master, and made me some gorgeous SP sand domes, complete with a center sprue. I just drill, tap, and attach.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:28 pm

I did an internet search and get no hits for the CRY&P Railroad, and I can't quite make out the lettering on the side of the cab. I also searched for SP subsidiaries (and SP Mexican subsidiaries), but nothing came up that looked close to CRY&P. Bob, would you mind solving the mystery for me? Curious minds want to know.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Cananea, Rio Yaqui, y Pacifico - Sud Pacifico de Mexico subsidiary. Photo in Dumbscomb's book shows 801 with CRY&P on the cab while in Portland Or.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:03 pm

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:55 pm

Thanks for the information and references. Not sure why I had so much trouble finding it before.

I have two Atlantics, one of which is pictured at the top of this thread. Here is the other:

This was custom-built by Bob Hall, a custom builder in the Seattle area (Bellevue, I believe). Records indicate the model was built in 1994. Bob built many locomotives (north of 30, it is believed). He often would start with a complete chassis. This one has a US Hobbies gearbox but All Nation drivers. I will look for a chance to get this in operation soon. It needs servicing but I don't believe it has any major issues (famous last words).

Jim

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:54 pm

Just a WAG, but I think h built at least 30 for Garberson.
He must have had over 30 on his railroad.
Plus, he custom-built for folks.
I can think of several names.
And, I have one.
And that's just while I knew him.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:21 am

That kind of boiler taper is the all-time most difficult to get right. My Harriman ten-wheelers have a much tamer version, and I have had to redo several of the taper sections to get the mating surfaces correct with respect to the cylindrical sections.

The Harriman Atlantics have a taper, but it is almost not noticeable to the casual observer. An easier Atlantic is the PRR E6, which has been done by lots of folks, including Saginaw and CLW. This one is scratchbuilt, using CLW H10 boiler, Saginaw frame, and Lobaugh drivers. Of passing interest is the fact that the Atlantic has a longer boiler than does the H10, so you can maybe see that I added a half inch to the casting?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 pm

Not much clearance between the second pilot wheel and the first driver. Looks kind of hinky.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:50 pm

But runs ok. Here is a dead-stock Saginaw, from the collection of Max Schwanda (now in my collection):

Same frame, but different pilot truck. The main difference in the boiler is the sand dome, and while you cannot see it, the sheet metal firebox.

I think that about does it for my Atlantic collection. There will be only the #3001, to be posted in the distant future. I am going to machine the smokebox front now, then head to the airport, where my project for the afternoon will be removing the last two bays of a fractured spar from a Stearman wing. My other hobby . . .

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:14 pm

I am not a connoisseur of PRR steam, so I have to ask this question: Your version of the PRR Atlantic is different from the Saginaw. Are there prototypes for both versions or is one more accurate than the other?

Jim

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”