fixer uper

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: fixer uper

Postby E7 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:13 am

Pete, I have NO argument with anything you mention. Getting a product in undamaged condition is certainly a REASONABLE expectation. I only mentioned what I have done as it has worked in the past. I think some of the problem is likely that their shipping force (students) is ever changing and varying and sometimes the "give a $hit factor" is lower than the "Git'R'Done" effect. I'll be the first to say my sampling is small, and maybe I have been lucky, but it doesn't cost anything to ask for decent packing, even though it shouldn't really be necessary. I've no doubt invoked the curse on my next order! :lol:

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:03 pm

Nice Mini scale engine .

Trainz the great destroyer of trains .... it is always a gamble if your item will arrive looking like the photos from the auction ... sometimes they damage the item before they box it up ..... when I have described how to properly send an item prior to the shipment ..it has worked a few times ...

last year they ruined many vintage O scale pieces in shipping .... slamming 3 -4 cars next to each other ..nothing between them and wrapping bubble around ... some of their brown paper they use on top and bottom of box and placing trains in a box that is almost long enough for the items ...

so damage occurs and they happily offer 10-20 for their screw up ... problem is once damaged many items will never be made right again ..

spoke to Scott at York about his shipping department ..did not really seem to care one way or another ...

I have bought many wonderful and rare items from Trainz over the years some scale some tinplate ..even a 1/2" scale liver steamer ...... I'd say 70% of the items make it through without damage .... .... ,,so do you feel lucky ? ..

Here is a link to see my MiniScale Hudson pulling a string of MiniScale cars ... yes they are heavy ...all lovely 17/64ths ....none of these purchased from trainz
Cheers Carey

https://youtu.be/bu8XAbwuiIU

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Thanks Carey Do you know what diameter the original lead truck wheels should be on the Hudson?? or what size did Mini-Scale use. Ive used 19mm on the one pictured, but I have another that I will keep original, Im guessing !7mm It hard to tell from pictures. Thanks. If anyone has Mini- Scale parts they dont require I may have a use for them, please remember Im in Australia. Thanks.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”