McKeen car

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
J. S. Bach

McKeen car

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:16 pm

I have had this Ken Kidder for a while:

Hah, Shutterfly really does work; that made my day.

De Bruin

Re: McKeen car

Postby De Bruin » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:30 pm

Oh God, that is SOOO friggin Cool!

Any yearning to finish it? Select a road etc.?
The roster of McKeen owners is longer and more diverse than I expected too, though the UP's fleet is still at the top in my mind.

As an aside McKeen's personal life story and career was a mixture of short-live success and lurid tabloid stuff too, very interesting reading.

Thanks for posting this!!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:19 pm

Nice - the shortie Kidder is one that I've looked for a non-extortionate price.

McKeen also produced a line of equally peculiar freight cars. I have plans/photos somewhere.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:39 am

Yeah, Shutterfly is pretty simple to use. But, I just got a notice from them that in order to continue to use free storage space I must make a purchase every 18 months. Not out of reason for using their product for free "almost".

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:57 am

up148 wrote:Yeah, Shutterfly is pretty simple to use. But, I just got a notice from them that in order to continue to use free storage space I must make a purchase every 18 months. Not out of reason for using their product for free "almost".

What might be a purchase? What do that sell that you could satisfy that requirement? Just curious about the what and cost?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:59 am

De Bruin wrote:Oh God, that is SOOO friggin Cool!

Dubbed a "windsplitting wonder" by Al Staufer in his book Pennsy Power III

De Bruin wrote:As an aside McKeen's personal life story and career was a mixture of short-live success and lurid tabloid stuff too, very interesting reading.

Any more info (title?) on the above Pete?

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:Yeah, Shutterfly is pretty simple to use. But, I just got a notice from them that in order to continue to use free storage space I must make a purchase every 18 months. Not out of reason for using their product for free "almost".

What might be a purchase? What do that sell that you could satisfy that requirement? Just curious about the what and cost?

They will put one of yours hosted photos on a ceramic mug, puzzles, tote bags, pillows, blankets, metal photo tiles, key rings, travel tumblers, etc. Prices seems reasonable, but I can't imagine why I would want one of my train photos on anything. Maybe put a photo of the Grandkids on Shutterfly and have something made up to satisfy the requirement and then pull the photo.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:14 pm

De Bruin wrote:Oh God, that is SOOO friggin Cool!
Any yearning to finish it? Select a road etc.? ...snip...
Thanks for posting this!!

No real plans yet. However some thoughts are still floating around.

One is that the car was bought by a newly-built interurban line that ran out of construction funds for electrification, got the McKeen second-hand, and commenced service with it. Surprisingly the line became quite successful and about two years after startup was able to complete the electrification. Ten Niles cars were bought and someone in the shop thought about converting the McKeen by replacing the oil engine with a large traction motor; it worked reasonably well and the car ran on for many years as an electric interurban.

Two is to put a pole on it to trip the signals (like PE had on their Baldwin switchers) although in reality it would be powered off either the pole or two-rail with a selector switch somewhere under the car.

The outward appearance would be the same but the first would not have two-rail capability; I need to think on it a lot more.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:21 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:Two is to put a pole on it to trip the signals (like PE had on their Baldwin switchers) although in reality it would be powered off either the pole or two-rail with a selector switch somewhere under the car.

The outward appearance would be the same but the first would not have two-rail capability; I need to think on it a lot more.

There was at least 1 McKeen car powered by overhead wire collected by a pole.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:There was at least 1 McKeen car powered by overhead wire collected by a pole.

Interesting.

No photos yet; but I have a model of one of the Stark Electric "Windspltters" that is currently at a friend's house having the roof fitted properly and windows installed. Note to non-trolley enthusiasts that these were not McKeen cars.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:53 pm

This is from the Philadelphia and Western
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:55 pm

robert. wrote:This is from the Philadelphia and Western

Brill Bullet

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:40 pm

I have the headsign from one of the bullets:

It is not in the original sign box. The 69th Street sign faced south so got more sun exposure than Norristown.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”