Drifting along; RTR quality, Couplers, EMD cabs...

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
sarge

Drifting along; RTR quality, Couplers, EMD cabs...

Postby sarge » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:32 pm

Here is a perfect example of why the Chinese really aren't doing the hobby (or the marketplace for manufactured goods) a whole lot of good. Its a simple pair of Atlas couplers off one of their freightcars, infected with Zinkpest.

Its pure laziness on the part of the Chinese, coupled with a pretty crafty business model where the manufacturer takes no responsibility for product quality once the importer takes possession and the container doors are shut.

The cause is well known (poor quality control of the alloy or laziness in its handling such that lead contamination ensues), and castings made anywhere else in the world after about 1960 or so are free of this affliction. Not so the Chinese, whose product often shows this level of quality demonstrating the attention to detail in the manufacturing process, and whose backing of their product is the stuff of legend.

Before anyone says it, yes its "just toys", but $100 a pop now-a-days isn't exactly such a bargain justifying an inconsistent quality that shouldn't be beyond this sort of thing. I hope that same justification doesn't apply to your pacemaker. Grin!
Last edited by sarge on Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

ScaleCraft

Re: Not very stellar, I fear

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:16 pm

No matter the cost, this lack of caring and QC in inexcusable.
Not limited to the PRC.

I knew a guy who reproduced H0 casting for vintage stuff. At one point in his younger days he met Gordon Varney....visited the shop.....break time, all the workers smokin' and jokin'.....and flicking ashes into the Zamac Pot....told my friend it improved the quality of the pour. We know how that worked out.

KTM. I ended up with a box of KTM freight trucks roundabout from Woody. Over a dozen. Threw them all away.
You even looked sideways at them, the rotted Zamac crumbled.

Wait until you come across PRC regrind plastic.
That's what a VP of Product Development told me it was called.
Basically the plastic version of Zamac Rot.

I could get specific if anybody cares....and the PRC did not.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:15 pm

https://knowledge.ulprospector.com/1468 ... -plastics/

So, what happened (and may still be, I don't know) is a large Model Railroad manufacturer/importer had sometimes seemingly extreme failures of cast molded plastic parts.

When they failed, it looked like obsidian....sharp, shiny breaks, and the parts could and did fail with the unit never removed from the packaging.

The VP went to the factory in the PRC....the workers were instructed to walk across the factory floor, draw a big bag of virgin plastic pellets, walk back to their machine, and dump them in.

Seems the factory got bonuses for increased production. Usually weekends.....they'd look around and see all the scrap on the floor....and picked up a dustpan, scooped it up, and dumped it into the hopper.
6 months to 3 years later, failure, and no way to tell before it fails.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:39 pm

The Rail Model Club of Atlanta banned those "pesty" stock Atlas couplers from the layout years ago after a few choice knuckle failures in the tunnels and a few of those dropped glands getting lodged into the motive powers truck gears. We'd also like to thank Atlas for making the Kadee conversion on this stuff as painful as possible as well, likewise in this genre I recall only Lionel and K-Lines are worse for that. Your results may vary.
We do like the car body injection molding and the usually reliable drives but beyond that it's pretty much three rail junk and not that inexpensive either.
Opinion yes, but not just my own.
8^(
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:26 am

I work with an importer of Chinese bronze statues. All of the statues RUST. Somehow they cheap out and ad iron to them. It has been that way for the 30 years . I have worked with them.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:13 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:05 pm

robert. wrote:I work with an importer of Chinese bronze statues. All of the statues RUST. Somehow they cheap out and ad iron to them. It has been that way for the 30 years . I have worked with them.

Another Communist Plot, right? We had a Soviet cold war era submarine here for several years. Repairs, museum upgrades.

Stainless is used to prevent massive corrosion on ships, especially submarines.

Imagine our surprise when we had rusted stainless throughout the boat.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:34 pm

Stainless steel (there are several types) is an alloy. It delays rust (oxidation), doesn't prevent it.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:46 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
De Bruin wrote:We'd also like to thank Atlas for making the Kadee conversion on this stuff as painful as possible as well..........

Last time I checked, Atlas wasn't marketing Kadee couplers. Probably not an accident. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:23 pm

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:33 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:Stainless steel (there are several types) is an alloy. It delays rust (oxidation), doesn't prevent it.

Well over 150 types that come from varying the alloy components; all are susceptible to acidic corrosion to some degree and chloride ions tend to be particularly involved in corrosion. Upping the chromium percentage adds resistance.

I see we are in agreement. :mrgreen:

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Yes, they decided to go off on their own incompatible crap when they could have saved time and resources just staying with Kadee couplers.

They could have also used a Protocraft and eliminated that stupid looking trip pin, which is a dead giveaway in many modeler's photos that I might otherwise mistake for 12" to the foot. That said, it's ALL a matter of preference. If we tossed everything that wasn't spot on, would we have anything left?

Have a Happy Holidays Marty!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”