Syracuse Train & Hobby in 1982

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Syracuse Train & Hobby in 1982

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:27 am

Came across this slide of an Adirondack Trailways bus in front of the 10-story Dome Hotel (now the Jefferson Clinton Suites) in Armory Square, Syracuse, NY: Adirondack Trailways MCI Bus Kodachrome original Kodak Slide

Note the "Syracuse Train & Hobby" store across the street - did you ever patronize it Sarge?

sarge

Re: Syracuse Train & Hobby in 1982

Postby sarge » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:47 pm

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure. There was a shop in Syracuse which could well be this one where a guy named Frank Klock held forth; was he the owner or an employee I don’t know. There were several good hobby shops in the area. I worked for a guy in Camillus named Bill Brundage, Yellow Caboose was his shop. No idea what happened to him. There was also Bernie Duerr who had a shop in Liverpool. He was an O Scaler and also was a dealer at the shows for many years.

I left there before the Bicentennial and have never been back; by the time that photo was taken I was already living outside the US.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:03 pm

sarge wrote:I left there before the Bicentennial and have never been back;

My first trip to Syracuse alone was in 1988, so I don't remember any of the shops you mentioned. I also don't remember the shop in Armory Square, so it probably closed or moved out to the suburbs before I got there. Bernie Duerr's Liverpool shop rings a bell so that one was probably still around but I don't remember visiting it - it may have had inconvenient hours.

I used to patronize Central Hobby Supply; they opened around 1985, I think. They only carried scale trains, so they didn't sell LGB, Brio, Lionel or any 3-rail stuff. (They started before MTH rebooted the 3-rail marketplace and "3 rail scale" was not yet a thing.) I stopped visiting them in person when I moved out of state in 1998 and they closed at the end of August 2018.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:58 am

Ah, Central Hobby Supply! Those guys used to hit the show circuit, so knew them well when I was doing the same with Roy Schnoor and the old (the original!) Mt. Vernon Shops or on my own dealing brass and custom building.

They had a range of early resin kits for New York Central and DL&W prototype cars, devilish things to build but really nice when they were well-finished. They were craftsman kits, for sure.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”