Erie-Built

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: Erie-Built

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 am

Chris Webster wrote:The matching A unit is now listed for $866.99 buy-it-now: Ebay #294207736240 - Max Gray O Scale 2 Rail BRASS NYC Diesel Locomotive [2Rail] EX

Sold!
bob turner wrote:Paint doesn't quite match, but hey - how many of these were built in brass? Ten?

I'm pretty sure that the paint color matches and that Jim just used better lighting than TrainZ.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:03 pm

I did not see this one, but there was one listed in the cigar band scheme. I PM'd Jim about it, not sure if he got the message or not. The paint on these engines is really good considering their age. Recent paint jobs???

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 pm

Oh, me neither. There were two! Both I think sold by Trainz, and they look like matches to the two B units that went last year. I bet Jim captured one of them. I thought they were a tad overpriced, but, hey, how rare are these?

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:28 pm

bob turner wrote:Oh, me neither. There were two! Both I think sold by Trainz, and they look like matches to the two B units that went last year. I bet Jim captured one of them. I thought they were a tad overpriced, but, hey, how rare are these?

Apart from the bare brass one Jim posted, I have not seen any others....not that that means a anything. I look at Ebay in spurts.....and then you have the enigma of TRAINZ!

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:46 pm

E7 wrote:There was one listed in the cigar band scheme. I PM'd Jim about it, not sure if he got the message or not.

Sorry for not responding, Rich. I am in Denver cleaning out the properties of an estate and way behind on my emails, etc.

bob turner wrote:Oh, me neither. There were two! Both I think sold by Trainz, and they look like matches to the two B units that went last year. I bet Jim captured one of them. I thought they were a tad overpriced, but, hey, how rare are these?
'
I did not buy either one. Even though I have the B-unit to the lightning stripe version, the asking price was too rich for me. I may list the B in case the buyer of the A wants to complete his set. If not, I will wait for another A to appear.

Here was the cigar-band version, in case anybody missed it. Note the dent in the roof on the fireman's side, just behind the cab:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334022793958?hash=item4dc54f5ae6%3Ag%3AnBMAAOSwIbBgtWcE&nma=true&si=y%252Ba3VNcCGRb1PsTBVmOOIlvHb0g%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:13 am

R.K. Maroon wrote:
E7 wrote:There was one listed in the cigar band scheme. I PM'd Jim about it, not sure if he got the message or not.

R.K. Maroon wrote:Sorry for not responding, Rich. I am in Denver cleaning out the properties of an estate and way behind on my emails, etc. Jim

Jim, No big deal, just glad you saw them! I looked a couple of times and couldn't pick up that dent.....I need a bigger monitor. I did notice the housing for the coupler doors on the lightning stripe was coming loose.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:07 pm

There is a trio of plastic Erie-Builts on eBay for $2500 right now. That makes $800 A units and $400 B units in brass look attractive.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:47 pm

All this was only seven months ago, and I sort of forgot that Maroon was looking for an A unit. Carey was selling one, I think last week, and it went for "reasonable." I think it is still in my watch list . . . yeah, final price $375, definitely early Max Gray with what appear to be All Nation gears, in CNW paint. Detail is not up to the level of the NYC B unit above, but still looks acceptable.

Maroon and I are collaborating on a hybrid of sorts - an Alco PA with an F-M nose. I will share a preliminary photo this weekend, and finished photo later. The plan is to make sure, if a PA nose ever sort of magically appears, that we can convert back. I will clamp and solder, without my usual brass screws that make assembly so permanent.

Sounds extremely unlikely that such a hybrid ever existed, but I may have noted somewhere that Milwaukee grafted an F3 nose onto a DL-109, greatly enhancing - er, somewhat lessening its ugliness. Who knows what this thing will look like - we shall find out!

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Thanks for the reminder on that nose, Bob -- I saw it sitting in my photo booth just this evening so I know I haven't sent it to you yet. I will get it packed this weekend and shipped Monday.

As to Max Gray Erie-Builts, I found an unpainted AB pair at an auction recently for a reasonable price. They are going to Pete for work-up into KCS units (they had AB sets of the B17-window version). I am on the hook to get the drives tuned up and to fabricate a directional, constant-brightness headlight setup.

Jim

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:29 am

Here we go - sure is ugly at the moment:

I do not mind the upgraded radiator louvers, but am always appalled at the loss of that cast-in portion behind the cab door. I think I will try for expanded metal - screen just doesn't do it for that location.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:32 am

Can you get us a shot of your new F-Ms before they go to Pete? Are they B-17 windows? Was that CNW eBay version a really early variant of the MG imported F-Ms?

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:15 am

Bob, if memory serves Max did both windscreen shapes as production models near as makes no difference at the same time. Both had the early-version trucks though.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:49 pm

Brian is correct. Here is a unit with the later, arched windows:

I will take photos of the AB set in hand and post. The A-unit has the B-17 windows. I did not see Carey's unit go by. I will see if I can find it.

(EDIT) Here it is:

Sold for $375 plus shipping.

Jim

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:05 am

Elegant. Thanks!

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:38 am

Note that the unpainted unit sold for $873 in 2012.
That's almost $500 more than the painted unit brought, nine years later.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”