WHAT?????

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
J. S. Bach

WHAT?????

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unidentified-2-Rail-O-Scale-Kit-Built-55-Weyerhaeuser-All-Door-Box-Car/224288388374

I have one of these and am totally flummoxed at the resulting price! :shock: :shock: One of the perils of placing a nuclear bid; someone else just may have the same idea! :lol: Now I think that maybe I should put mine in a safe deposit box! :mrgreen: I was watching it thinking that I might like a second one but lost interest early on as mine has the same road number and I am not a fan of "patching" new reporting marks; besides, mine is built just as nicely as the one in the auction. Edit: And the correct green!
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

De Bruin

Re: WHAT?????

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:34 am

Kudos to the original builder, and the seller!
Some might be surprised at how much a well described and photo'd listing can go for these days.
I think it might in part be from "regional show withdrawal" but again you never never know when two or more biders get coffee'd or liquored up
and do something like this.
I'm impressed. Nice model too.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:41 pm

De Bruin wrote:Kudos to the original builder

Indeed -- that is the nicest build of a quality craft all-door boxcar that I have ever seen. The workmanship holds up in very close-up pictures and the car is in almost perfect condition - one of the steps is slightly bent and some of the paint has come off the door rods, but that's it.

I wouldn't -- and didn't! -- pay $203 for the car, but that price is not that unreasonable, imho. A kit would cost you at least $20 on ebay, plus you would need to spend at least another $20 on trucks, $5 for Kadees and at least another $10 for paint and a new decal set.... at that point you're up to $65. That leaves $138 if you want to have someone build, paint and decal it for you... and I don't know of anyone who will do as good of a job for $138!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm

Well past good enough to be worth saving the photos as reference material were one ever wanting to actually build such a kit.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:48 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Well past good enough to be worth saving the photos as reference material were one ever wanting to actually build such a kit.

Except for the color, the Weyerhauser green had a little bit more yellow in it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:23 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Well past good enough to be worth saving the photos as reference material were one ever wanting to actually build such a kit.

Except for the color, the Weyerhauser green had a little bit more yellow in it.

Weyerhauser green all depends on whose paint you use, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Floquil is just totally wrong; Polly Scale is maybe close but seems a little too olive, but maybe that's my eyes. :roll: :roll:

But, color aside, the construction is good; maybe only fault in it is the underbody minimalization but then that's not for everybody, :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:37 am

Agree, and opinion, FloQuil Weyerhauser Green is too dark, more like a variant of BN or PC green which more than one modeler advised me it's actually pretty good for, I have been satisfied with using it on my PC applications too.
The problem with most all greens relative to the prototype paint is it's one of the fastest oxidizing pigments of all the industrial coatings save maybe blue.
Looking at mug shots of various roads rolling stock that employed it and it's quickly evident that it's a moving target tint-wise, compounded by the various employed film's photo shifted variations.

Still a pretty cool car though. :wink:
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:23 am

De Bruin wrote:Agree, and opinion, FloQuil Weyerhauser Green is too dark..........

But I'd gladly take another bottle or 3 if you have it spare, :mrgreen:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”