Strange looking F-7

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Strange looking F-7

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:20 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AHM-Rivarossi- ... 3346133659

It's a freaking AHM! Atlas claw couplers! BIN at 50....they'd have pay ME to take one of these......uh.....F-7's.

Eastern Numismatics...gold coin and bullion sales must be down.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Re: Strange looking F-7

Postby E7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:29 am

That F7 AKA C-Liner (apart from the ridiculous couplers is a fairly accurate rendition of the prototype FM body. Never done in brass in O, but many attempts in HO brass have totally SCREWED the hood. The shape on the Roco plastic body is pretty much dead on.

There is a thread on OGR with FM drawings that show the Roco hood matches the prototype. You have to scroll down a bit for the drrawings.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/riv ... ion?page=1

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:It's a freaking AHM! Atlas claw couplers! BIN at 50....they'd have pay ME to take one of these......uh.....F-7's.

Thinking more on this subject, if you want to rant about something, why not go after the ubiquitous F9, one of the ALL TIME great disasters. The pilot is ridiculous, the nose is wrong, and I love those 4 little nubs that masquerade as a way to keep the body on the chassis. What a piece of feces! :mrgreen:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 pm

E7 wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:It's a freaking AHM! Atlas claw couplers! BIN at 50....they'd have pay ME to take one of these......uh.....F-7's.

Thinking more on this subject, if you want to rant about something, why not go after the ubiquitous F9, one of the ALL TIME great disasters. The pilot is ridiculous, the nose is wrong, and I love those 4 little nubs that masquerade as a way to keep the body on the chassis. What a piece of feces! :mrgreen:

Oh, I DO! Every chance I get. Totally ignored every time it seems....or somebody thinks it's really worth having.
Pay attention!

This one...I know what it IS...the seller does not.

The stupidity of calling it an F-7 boggles the mind.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:08 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:The stupidity of calling it an F-7 boggles the mind.

Even if they had managed to get the correct Loco they would still be in error.

Per EMD: F7 not F-7

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 pm

And Atlas/AHM/Rivarossi in that era didn't make an f7 anyway.....was an F9.

But who's counting?

There's a sucker born every minute, and it's worth what it sells for.

"Country/Region of Manufacture: United States"

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:57 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:There's a sucker born every minute, and it's worth what it sells for.

Can't argue that one!!! :mrgreen:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 pm

you missed the last line in my last post.

First, he doesn't mention Atlas....then he calls it an (sic) F-7. Then it's made in the US of A.

Maroon.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:07 am

ScaleCraft wrote:you missed the last line in my last post.

First, he doesn't mention Atlas....then he calls it an (sic) F-7. Then it's made in the US of A.

Maroon.

More likely Idjit (they are the lowest on the food chain)

What gets me is how many are clueless (and that includes some of the Importers) to what the actual prototype equipment looks like. It's not that hard to pop up images of most stuff on the Internet.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I would trade my exacting knowledge of trains, including the difference between F-M and EMD, for a better understanding of Greens Functions in a heartbeat. Then I could sell on eBay and not care who called me an idiot. Instead, I actually spend time thinking about these things. There ought to be a pill that cures train disease.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 pm

bob turner wrote: Then I could sell on eBay and not care who called me an idiot. Instead, I actually spend time thinking about these things.

Oh. Was that your listing of an Atlas/AHM/Rivarossi/Made in the USA/F-7?

Didn't mean to poo on your listing, Bob!

(Oh, and the proper term in this particular context is "Idjit")

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:54 am

While it's true that many people selling this stuff (dare I say stuff we're more than a little obsessed with) often and predictably fail in their listing descriptions, so what? I mean really; a coin dealer parsing the difference between Rivarossi's CFA-16-2000 and an F7?
It's not worth discussing as it generally happens so often.

The uninformed buyer may indeed be intentionally (or unintentionally) defrauded, fleeced, had, screwed, etc. but likewise many of us have indeed reaped the benefit of the ignorant seller, the poorly listed item, and its resulting search fail, under-bid, under-priced close, to acquire the proverbial "steal." Why I even wager we've bragged about it, haven't we?

Caveat Emptor. It's an esoteric, acquisitive based hobby, often selling via some degree of ignorance, guile, petite fraud, bad faith etc. either
intentionally or again not. As a somewhat similar business, jewelry comes to mind but that likely might imply our coin dealer here, and again who cares? Regardless I'm way over this.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 am

ScaleCraft wrote:(Oh, and the proper term in this particular context is "Idjit")

Just paying homage to one of my favorite Ebay handles: BigIdjit. Runner up was: Ebidiot. :mrgreen:

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:34 pm

I thought this was an interesting build -- a brass and cast metal Alco S4 riding on Rivarossi trucks:

Ebay Item #224307351661, VINTAGE BRASS O SCALE ALCO DIESEL SWITCHER WITH DUAL POWERED RIVAROSSI TRUCKS

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:29 pm

I think that the seller is trying to outdo Tolstoy with that novel written below the item's description! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”