NYC Steam

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Re: NYC Steam

Postby De Bruin » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 am

Please Bob more pictures when you can post them.
Didn't Madison Hobbies sell some kind of aftermarket six axle NYC tender for the 700 series Hudson?
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:42 am

Madison Hardware. Genuine NOS Lionel parts. I had one at one point - sold it with a crumbling 763.

I think the Williams die cast is darn near identical. I may capture one of those some day. The 6-18006 Lionel is really close to a 700.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Pete - ok, but I am about to lose faith in my favorite forum. Even the lounge is beginning to lose my interest.
I think everybody has seen this one before - Williams boiler, slightly modified. Scratch frame and drivers, with rods cast by Dennis to my patterns. Tender is a silly wood block on a Lobaugh bed. Yes, it runs! NWSL/Pittman 8000.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:50 pm

Very nice, Bob.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:39 pm

Spectacular as is the prototype, albeit a tad on the "Buck Roger's ray gun" side, I'd take one in a heart beat. Thanks Bob
I like that J3a version (Knowlton-Davies) for the Empire State Express too, with the stainless steel fluting.
That tender looks pretty sharp too for a "block of wood."
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:08 am

I am not a natural NYC Hudson fan, maybe for the same reason I am not a PRR K4 fan or a UP Big Boy fan -- I generally like to go where the crowds aren't. However, I do have a Scale-Craft Hudson that I bought for cheap, thinking it only needed a little work. Big mistake, but since I tend to learn more from difficult projects than easy ones, I guess I am getting my money's worth.

I did a fair amount of chassis and drive work on the thing, including putting together this fancy setup for reversing and directional headlight:

Here is the thing assembled before its first test run:

I believe the tender is scratch-built. It seems to be well built, so I might put rivets on it before repainting. Or maybe a different tender will drift into the shop before then.

The test run didn't go so well. It all but bounced down the track. You can see the shaking in this video if you look close:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0fgig6dqzpalk5/20190105_151810.mp4?dl=0

It turns out the thing had been sitting so long that the elastomeric insulation in the drivers compressed and took an out-of-round set. This was two years ago, and the model has been sitting on the shelf staring at me ever since. I stare back every now and then. I found a replacement chassis not long ago, but I will likely attempt to re-round the original drivers before I go the replacement route. After all, I would learn more that way.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:09 pm

Scale Craft used a very thin insulation. It would not "compress." Somebody 2-railed yours using the wrong insulation.
You may be able to fix easily. Porous card stock and Loctite is the secret. Not much more than finger pressure.

If the machining is "off" you have a friend with a Sheldon in the garage and a South Bend at the airport.

Want rivet overlays for that tender? Scale Craft rivets were so bad a lot of folks sanded them off.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 am

Bob, I am not sure what you mean by "rivet overlay". Please explain.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:56 am

I make sheets of .020 brass with rivet impressions, then glue them to wood blocks. I have two such tenders, and I would have to tell you they are not 100% brass. .016 would be better, but .020 is what I have.

Adhesive is important. I have been using Pliobond, but there is a better cement called "Top & Landau" cement commercially available. Also Martin says a drop of CA added to the Pliobond helps.

Worth a try?

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 pm

The local club had an opportunity to set up our portable layout recently for some much needed maintenance, so I used the occasion to run and photograph another one of John Fisher's NYC steamers. This is a Hines USRA heavy Mikado, lettered for P&LE:

The string of cars is from John's collection as well, and includes road names true to his Toledo roots, including Pere Marquette, Duluth, South Shore, and Atlantic, Lake Superior and Ishpeming, and Ann Arbor. Wow -- I can tell you we didn't see those in Texas much back then, or ever.

The jewel though is the Hines 2-8-2. Nicest one of these I have ever seen:

Hines made a durable model but aren't known in my book for being quiet and smooth. This one is a real surprise -- as nice as any I have seen run. Video soon.

Jim

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:26 am

Jim, Good looking stuff! The Mikado is one of my favorites asnd has a nice symmetry. The only thing P&LE that might be better is the A2.

Rich

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Many years ago when i got my SC Hudson, it had been stored in a tin box. Condensation got into the tire insulation and split the tires.
RK "Bob" Hall had a set, told me to use a Safeway Grocery bag...not an Albertson's bag....wrap the wheel, extra wide, heat the tire, drop it on (I used a vise to keep the tire at the inner edge of the wheel), let it cool, trim off excess bag, soak with super glue.

Hasn't moved at all in 30-35 years.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:24 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Many years ago when i got my SC Hudson, it had been stored in a tin box. Condensation got into the tire insulation and split the tires.
RK "Bob" Hall had a set, told me to use a Safeway Grocery bag...not an Albertson's bag....wrap the wheel, extra wide, heat the tire, drop it on (I used a vise to keep the tire at the inner edge of the wheel), let it cool, trim off excess bag, soak with super glue.

So the loco just sits somewhere looking pretty?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:03 pm

rogruth wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:Many years ago when i got my SC Hudson, it had been stored in a tin box. Condensation got into the tire insulation and split the tires.

So the loco just sits somewhere looking pretty?

Dave, I'll hold him, you slap him, cause if I get started, I ain't going to want to stop!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:08 pm

E7 wrote:
rogruth wrote:So the loco just sits somewhere looking pretty?

Dave, I'll hold him, you slap him, cause if I get started, I ain't going to want to stop!

Does Zoom have an app to allow us to do that remotely?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”