NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 am

This is a list of Custom Brass Locomotives compiled with the help of several MTJ members.

NJ CUSTOM BRASS LOCOMOTIVES

Steam
C&O H-4...2-6-6-2
GN L-1...2-6-6-2
Little River 2-4-4-2
NP Z1 2-6-6-2
NYC NE2...2-6-6-2
PRR T1 Buick front
PRR T1 Plain front

Electric

GN Y-1
Milwaukee Road Bipolar
MP-54
PRR B1 Rats (2)
PRR GG1

Diesel

ALCO RS-1
ALCO RS-3
ALCO S-1
ALCO S-2
ALCO FA-1 + B

BALDWIN RF-16 4 axle A+B shark nose
BALDWIN BP-20 6 axle shark nose

EMD E8
EMD GP-30

GE 44 Tonner

If you spot something that doesn't appear to be correct use a PM or append at the bottom, though I seldumb make misteaks! :<)

IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE ACCURACY OF INFORMATION, BETTER TO HAVE NO INFO THAN INCORRECT.
Last edited by E7 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:33 am, edited 7 times in total.
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

E7

Re: NJ Custom Brass Locomotive List

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:19 am

This list sort of got lost in the shuffle, so I dug it out and re-posted. Any additions you are certain of, post them and I will add to the list!

Rich

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks for posting. I was not aware that they offered than many.

The list by itself just begs for photos as proof of the model's existence. I have only one:

This came off eBay maybe twelve years ago as the second O-scale model I ever bought. The seller was in Switzerland. I don't know if he did the custom paint. The big knock on these are the drives. It's double motored, but four of the drivers are idlers, and they are not known as good pullers. This one has a custom drive with CLW gearboxes on all drivers.

I have seen at least two dozen of the Bi-polars, but the only other Custom Brass locomotive that I have seen (as best I can recall) is the GN Y-1. The example I have seen was unpainted and rotting in the original box, unused. Not uncommon but a shame nonetheless.

Jim
Fun stuff indeed

RDSRR

Postby RDSRR » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:35 am

E7 wrote:This list sort of got lost in the shuffle, so I dug it out and re-posted. Any additions you are certain of, post them and I will add to the list!

Rich

NP Z1 2-6-6-2
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am

Think they did the Baldwin Centipede and MP-54's too.
I recall the Centipede was an electrical puzzle, prone to shorting between carbody and chassis etc. producing spectacular circular arcs traveling the length of the car body from nose to tail.
Crisis Consultant remediating legal-media issues; neutralizing health science academy studies, bureau findings, personal media histories etc. Dis-inform with simulated facts etc. your daily atrocity no big deal.
contact morbo@predatorsdontfeelguilt.com

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 pm

De Bruin wrote:Think they did MP-54's too.

They did the MP-54, MPB-54, and the BM-62.
Later Gator,
Dave

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Some days you are the dog; some days you are the hydrant.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks I'd forgotten the other two. Do you recall if any of the MP-54's or those variants they made came factory powered?
Crisis Consultant remediating legal-media issues; neutralizing health science academy studies, bureau findings, personal media histories etc. Dis-inform with simulated facts etc. your daily atrocity no big deal.
contact morbo@predatorsdontfeelguilt.com

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:06 pm

De Bruin wrote:Thanks I'd forgotten the other two. Do you recall if any of the MP-54's or those variants they made came factory powered?

The MP-54s were sold as a motor-trailer set. I have only seen one each of the MPB and the BM. I have the only BM that I have seen and a friend has the the only MPB that I have seen. Both are unpainted and still in their boxes. They are powered, the power assembly looks just like the one in the MP so I suspect that they were powered by the factory. I talked to either N or J of Custom Brass at a Florida mrr club meeting and asked about the MP production figures, he said one hundred MPs (sets or individual cars he did not specify) and fifty MPBs. I was unaware of the BMs until I saw the one on ebay that I got.

For those reading this and are unfamiliar with these PRR electric MU cars:
MP - coach
MPB - combine
BM - baggage
There was an MPT-54 (or maybe MP-54T) control trailer; it looked just like the MP-54 but without a pan, but I do not know if NJCB did those.
I wonder why the baggage was classed BM instead of MB, something that we will never know, I guess.
Later Gator,
Dave

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Some days you are the dog; some days you are the hydrant.

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 pm

You forgot the Little River 2-4-4-2 In the steam category. My favorite locomotive!

https://youtu.be/KuFtif8UL_w

Peter

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 am

Thanks all! This list is limited to Powered units!

Maybe we can attempt one for cars/cabooses later.....not that you can't mention them here. No problem with that!

Thanks again,
Rich

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Ahh, last I checked that 2-4-4-2 was powered! Not sure what you’re getting at here. LOL

Peter

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:53 pm

herronpeter wrote:Ahh, last I checked that 2-4-4-2 was powered! Not sure what you’re getting at here. LOL

Peter

Peter, I was referring to some cars mentioned in previous posts. I think cars: freight, passenger, MOW, whatever deserve their own list.

If anyone would like to start a "car" list have at it! Further if anyone would like to take over THIS one say the word. I'm sure there are those out there that can do better than I! As ol' Dirty Harry said: "A man has to know his limitations!" :lol:

All this thing is meant to be is a "what's out there" for CB. They did a few things no one else did. If it wasn't such a monumental task, it would be nice to have a listing for all brass (a NEW "Brown Book") and maybe one for Plastic, but I'm guessing some of that information was in the heads of folks that are no longer with us.

Rich

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 am

Got it. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other NJCB steam models but for the life of me cannot remember any details right now! Was AJIN the only builder?

Peter

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Peter, To the best of my knowledge (which is sketchy) Ajin was OMI. Samhongsa was the BIG dog, and they would be my guess, emphasis on guess. They worked for a lot of importers.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”