This should be of interest to this group......

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
herronpeter

Re: This should be of interest to this group......

Postby herronpeter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Well I guess it was of interest with 14 replies but all for not acquiring it!! I freely admit I know nothing about these older O scale locomotives! It looked to me like it might be a good project. Guess not!!

Peter

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:12 pm

herronpeter wrote:It looked to me like it might be a good project.

It would be a labor of love by a hobbyist with time available. Again, it is of the size engine that I would very much like to have....small 2-8-0. There are not a many options in this regard; few at all in O scale.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Interest is there. Condition and lack of original completeness on a known light duty engine, with a very high price for the privilege. Pass.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:26 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Interest is there. Condition and lack of original completeness on a known light duty engine, with a very high price for the privilege. Pass.

The light duty aspect is actually not an issue for me as I rarely run more than 5 cars behind an engine and have no significant inclines.
others from bidding on it - up to $240.

There simply are very few options for smaller engines; supply & demand. One of the failings of O scale with it's disproportionate focus on big, bigger, and biggest engines.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:14 pm

I have a Thomas 0-4-0. Runs good. Always thought a Thomas 2-8-0 would be nice to have.
Some day one will drop into my lap.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:47 pm

I liked it, and though I appreciate the guys telling me why it's too much dough when I was thinking "wow looks good to me...."
I admire the seller, it's a hassle to sell anything on Ebay and he apparently did this successfully.
Caveat Empt-y
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 am

Maybe it is me, but the turnoff on this one to MY eyes is that the boiler door does not appear to be hanging level. Looks like it tilts back toward the cab at the bottom (next to last image as I recall). Maybe it's an optical delusion! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am

Pete said,
liked it, and though I appreciate the guys telling me why it's too much dough when I was thinking "wow looks good to me...."
I admire the seller, it's a hassle to sell anything on Ebay and he apparently did this successfully.

I still think it has possibilities. Price is way too much but I like it better than most of the crapola that's posted here. Definitely like it better than any 3R junk.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 am

Crooked boiler is easily fixed. I think the boiler is .010 thick (leftover shim stock) and can be easily re- formed.

If I were going to rebuild one of these I would save the cab and domes, maybe the cylinders and drivers, and use all new, thicker brass for frame and boiler. But for me, it is almost easier to start from scratch with good cast iron driver blanks.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:50 am

bob turner wrote:But for me, it is almost easier to start from scratch with good cast iron driver blanks.

You might also remember that you are not anywhere near to being on the bell curve.

The ones I've looked at seemed to have considerably heavier brass than 0.010, :? Different production runs?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 am

I might. "But for me" was not meant as cautionary. Rather than claim a place on the tail, let me remind that I have semi-heavy machinery, which makes scratchbuilding easy.

Been thinking of Jay's comment. These Thomas things have die cast, so they are related to the better (that is, good zamac) 3-rail items. Can I refer you to my UP thread for what I think is a truly good 3-rail model, worthy of conversion?

I have, and can share, two converted 0-6-0s, the FEF, an MTH Hudson, a 763, and three K-Line Train Masters (plastic-yuk, $100, yay!). Not to mention the Lionel 700-series freight cars.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:45 pm

bob turner wrote:I might. "But for me" was not meant as cautionary. Rather than claim a place on the tail, let me remind that I have semi-heavy machinery, which makes scratchbuilding easy.

Having it is only 1 part of the equation; knowing how to use it and having the experience using it counts quite a lot. I don't have the room for another power tool of any kind in my shop, and I don't have the time to do anything more than I am already doing. And, my shop is rather strongly canted toward woodworking, too, :wink: :wink:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 pm

This is mine. One of my more expensive pieces. Two of them for free.
Tailstock cut off one, pilot beam off the other, clown (?) wanted to make an 0-4-4-0, got that far and quit.
Bob "RK" Hall fixed the pilot beam on this one in exchange for the second unit, which he fixed for himself.

I honor of our "Bob" I have left one wheelset off the rails.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:16 pm

A likely story. Looks good.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 pm

I think Garberson gave them to me. Most expensive because it's free X 2.
Close second is the A&S FT A&B set from Lorell Joiner. Just shells.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”