Midwestern Model Works Redux

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Midwestern Model Works Redux

Postby E7 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:16 pm

Yes he has delivered a drive.....I meant not delivered a Loco. Roger Lewis of Wasatch said it (the drive) was the best. That said quality does not matter if it is unavailable.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue May 24, 2022 1:39 pm

bob turner wrote:I think he has actually delivered transmissions. I saw some over a decade ago.

Irrelevant. The data is dated.

I saw a new Mustang with a 289.

Imagine how many changes (and in the case of these "transmissions" country of manufacture and manufacturers if applicable) have been made in that decade. Different materials, design, who knows.

On this loco/gearboxes under discussion, Better? Worse? Again, when dealing with vapourware, hard to say.

There are so many red flags, I am really surprised folks even consider it.

At least it ain't MY money tied up waiting.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue May 24, 2022 7:20 pm

Hey! It was you complaining about the terms of the warranty.

I personally have never purchased a model train anything because of a warranty or lack thereof. I was just pointing out that I thought the warranty conditions were reasonable.

They may be the world's worst transmissions. I have mostly heard otherwise.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue May 24, 2022 9:52 pm

Begs the question, has anyone here actually gone back and asked the seller/manufacturer (whatever) to make good on a warranty for something specific to our hobby? Interesting to consider given the buyers skin implicit in the Midwestern policy as described here.

I can recall at least (maybe more that I don't remember) asking Quentin Carnicelli to fix a brand new magic carpet on a GE 45 ton steeple cab that had eaten itself up after about an hour of running due to some gear metric issues on one of it's two magic carpet trucks. He did it with no fuss and the unit ran great for years, maybe still does (Maroon has it now)
and then
The late owner of GML, Gene Lewis made good on some bad transistors on a pair of otherwise REALLY nice momentum throttles Maroon bought and I still use. Gene worked with us to get the max amperage these support as high as he could too.
Both of these guys are why I love this hobby and scale.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed May 25, 2022 7:37 am

De Bruin wrote:Begs the question, has anyone here actually gone back and asked the seller/manufacturer (whatever) to make good on a warranty for something specific to our hobby?
Years ago, Bachmann had a warranty policy under which they would repair a broken locomotive and ship it back to you for (I think) $15. If they didn't have parts for your model, they would offer to replace it with a brand new model for $25. They replaced two HO scale N&W J locomotives for me, around 2005 if I'm remembering correctly. I sent them my broken J, which I'd purchased back in 1985, with a check for $15. They then called to explain they didn't have parts to repair it, so I then sent them another $10 check and they shipped me one of their then state-of-the-art Spectrum models.

I repeated the process a month or two later when my other circa 1985 J burned out its motor - those models had crappy 3-pole sidewinder motors which were easy to ruin. I also ebayed the Bowser mechanism kit I had planned to build and install under the J's shell.

My story predates Bachmann's online parts store and their warranty repair policy is no longer as lenient: Service Department Policies and Contact Information.
Last edited by Chris Webster on Thu May 26, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am

ScaleCraft wrote:I cannot imagine having something I could not open, clean, inspect, lube and re-assemble..especially after spending that much.
You are not Erik's customer base then.

Erik's promised locomotives will be completely stuffed with speakers, electronics, motorized fans, working lights (20+ of them, all at different points around the locomotive) and interior detail (prime movers, traction motors, etc.) Obviously, his locomotives are *not* a product whose purchaser will be able to open up and service themselves.

If you accept that, then you'll realize that it makes a lot of sense for Erik's locomotives to have sealed mechanisms that are not intended to be serviced by the purchaser.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed May 25, 2022 11:23 am

Egad! And I hate those simple flop-open hatches so popular on Overland imports.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed May 25, 2022 4:43 pm

Chris Webster wrote:Erik's promised locomotives will be completely stuffed with speakers, electronics, motorized fans, working lights (20+ of them, all at different points around the locomotive) and interior detail (prime movers, traction motors, etc.) Obviously, his locomotives are *not* a product whose purchaser will be able to open up and service themselves.

Inadvertently you hit the proverbial nail on the head.

The question arises still, as to when. How much more money. Do the customers want to accept non-maintenance clauses.

I really tried to follow the timeline on this. So many folks on NK "talked to Erik" and all is well, all is well.
On his own site he promises...promises....followed by excuses...excuses.

Everybody else take six or more years to bring something in as a production unit, yet he promises six MONTHS.
And how many years ago was THAT?

Been four years since announcement made (MAR 2018). Looks like the six years may be closer than six months.

SD40-2 in development stage, pilot models built...that's 2019.

This is like politics. You try to point something out....and they just don't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdbpmeUODME
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed May 25, 2022 8:39 pm

You need to go post that on OGR - get George and nw all riled up. We are all just bemused here - none of us have skin in the game. I was just being theoretical about the warranty. Don’t buy stuff with warranties that you do not like.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:21 pm

Just did some searching on OGR:

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/new ... t-addtions

Take note of the dates on these posts.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 29, 2022 8:31 pm

For those not inclined - all ten years ago. Meaning his original models pre-dated that for reservations.

I also note that George was nowhere in sight and Simon and nw were reasonably polite. After a while all of them got tired of my "negativity."

I still wish Erik and all of them well - hope they get their spectacular models!

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon May 30, 2022 7:58 am

After 10 years, I'm willing to bet his customers have no way of getting their money back. In most states theft by deception has a 5 year limit. I don't know if by promising a delivery date and moving that date change anything. I'm not a lawyer or a customer. If i was a customer I'd be angry. f i were a lawyer. I would not take the case.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

E7

Postby E7 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:47 am

You wouldn't need a lawyer for small claims court. As far as warranty goes, you can't break what you ain't got.

robert.

Postby robert. » Mon May 30, 2022 10:52 am

I should have mentioned. Getting your deposit returned after 10 years of no product
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon May 30, 2022 10:54 am

Contracts 101 - re-promising tolls the 4 year statute of limitations. It can be verbal, but you need a contemporary record.

Sure, you can go to small claims court - but "full faith and credit" does not seem to work; you would have to sue in his state. And then a judgment doesn't get your $; you have to get the sheriff to levy.

Almost not worth it for a grand.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”