PRR Locomotives

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: PRR Locomotives

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:58 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:20 am

Well gee Rude-fus, why didn't you explain about the 1 cent?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:53 pm

I note that OGR is doing the Sunset S2 in some detail. I also note that nothing has happened here for three days, while there are maybe 75 comments on the S2 in the same interval.

So, for what it is worth - here, again, is my Sunset S2, which Mort offered to me at a discount, and my brother 2-railed. It runs like the wind (or did the last time my loops were connected) and is lightly weathered. Only difference between mine and a factory 2-rail version is my tender trucks are unsprung. I ever notice.

If I were going to do anything at all to change it, I would simply re-do the cab door, where it joins the roof.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:56 pm

Here's the other side

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:57 pm

No, the PRR never painted journal caps. Yes, I don't care.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:13 pm

The Sunset S-2 was my first brass purchase. It was sold to me already two rail from Sunset, Im not sure how many two rail locos they did, but all the ones I see on the Bay are three rail. Bob your is the only other two railed one Ive seen. The early Sunset version of the Turbin was only available in two rail, wouldn't mind one of thouse. I can't find the discussion on OGR, they still let me look, but can't sign in.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:24 am

The early Sunset version (ALL 2 rail) is said to be more detailed than the later one, which was a failed/canceled/abandoned? Williams project with supposedly less detail, that was taken over by Sunset, which included both 2 and 3 rail versions. I've never seen the two side by side to compare them. There is also a Lionel 3 rail job. Not sure how that stacks up detail wise.
Last edited by E7 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:41 am

bob turner wrote: I also note that nothing has happened here for three days, while there are maybe 75 comments on the S2 in the same interval.

There are MANY more members over there and some of the stuff they post is just hot air to up their individual post counts. You were a member over there....how did that work out?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:56 pm

We could use just a teeny bit more hot air here. I don't miss posting on OGR a lot, even though occasionally I could help with a suggestion. But the Sunset S2 is one of my favored models, so I thought maybe someone from over there might enjoy my photos - if they could find this place.

By the way, that is my understanding as well - that this was originally Williams. All the earmarks are there - same motor/gearbox and general construction philosophy. I admire the scale brass Williams stuff for its sturdiness - steam is characterized by "sturdy." Earlier Sunset was more detailed, but less rugged.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:37 pm

The first more highly detailed S2 was sold under the Sunset name before they went to 3rd Rail. The second importation of the S2 was started by Williams, and then acquired by 3rd Rail. It was done in both 2 and 3 rail with lesser detail the the earlier Sunset run. That's the story as I recall about reading it.

Other than extra detail, I don't see much difference in the 2 engines.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:31 pm

Well here's my bit of hot air. Mainline Modeler had a bit of an article on the S-2 and said that a set of drawings for the S-2 were coming. They didn't publish another mag after that, that I knew of. I was disappointed, I like collecting scale drawings, and the S-2 being a favourite would have been desirable, to my collection. I still can't find the discussion on OGR, maybe they don't show me everything. E7 to answer your question. I had a positive experience on OGR for years. I would have been stuck, If Bob hadn't helped me join this forum, of which I was a frequent observer for years, but unable to participate. Im still confused at being booted of OGR. cTr.....(Choose the Right ) was what got me booted of. A child's moto, or creed. It was deemed political. I had cleared up the misunderstanding years before with the administrators, and was validated by other form members. I thought all was well, but then without right of reply, I was gone.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:09 pm

Fortunately, MTJ allows links. Here it is:

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/prr ... ops?page=1

I believe anyone, no matter how ornery or political, has full access for viewing. We cannot post (their loss, not ours) and the "last post" button doesn't work, but other than that, all is normal. We can snatch photos and re-post here, but I do not do that, because it is a copyright violation. I got thrown off for asserting my copyright. They may have heard that I got TCA Western to remove my photos ( they did not want to attribute them to me).

I am a flaming liberal, and never mis-construed your tag. We are better off not associating with those folks - management, not the posters.
They do allow Christian prayer groups, so if that is your "thing" go for it.

If we ever get membership here straightened out, this will be the premier O Scale 2-rail forum. I promise! Opinion.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am

bob turner wrote:If we ever get membership here straightened out, this will be the premier O Scale 2-rail forum. I promise! Opinion.

Perhaps you should read here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&p=416579#p416579

and on the home page:

https://modeltrainjournal.com/wpmtj/

We will hold you to your promise as well.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:37 am

Thanks Bob I linked to the S-2 tread, not as interesting as I hoped for. Ive discovered that (they) ran a Lionel S-2 On " Young Sheldon " on the first episode, not scale thou. I guess since Sheldon liked model trains, this means great minds think alike.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”