Southern Pacific Steam 2020

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Southern Pacific Steam 2020

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Hint taken. Freelance, but strongly based on SP locomotive practice. A lot of Lobaugh parts. Tender drive, as usual for my narrow firebox models.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Except for the Cab Forwards and one lonely Consolidation, that is it for my SP steam collection. I guess that is enough for one kid, right?
Just scanning Shuttersworth, I guess I have a hundred photos there at this point. The only flaw I see is that I have to punch the "date uploaded" button each time I want to access stuff, to get the latest photo on top. The rest of it is literally easier than just posting text here - a couple keystrokes, and "boom" - a photo appears on MTJ.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:33 pm

Like the 4-4-0. :wink: :wink:

What sort of minimum radius will it take?

bob turner wrote:Except for the Cab Forwards and one lonely Consolidation, that is it for my SP steam collection. I guess that is enough for one kid, right?

Well beyond my needs! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just scanning Shuttersworth, I guess I have a hundred photos there at this point. The only flaw I see is that I have to punch the "date uploaded" button each time I want to access stuff, to get the latest photo on top. The rest of it is literally easier than just posting text here - a couple keystrokes, and "boom" - a photo appears on MTJ.

Should be some way to override that and set the display to place the most recently uploaded 1st, but maybe not. I have all my photos in Smugmug set up in folders with the autosort overridden to manual. Some details of these various hosting services are not immediately obvious.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:33 pm

bob turner wrote: ...snip... The rest of it is literally easier than just posting text here - a couple keystrokes, and "boom" - a photo appears on MTJ.

Not here, the word "IMAGE" appears and then I right-click on it and select "View image" and then it appears in a separate screen.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:35 pm

No idea on the min radius - Lobaugh frame/cylinders/lead truck, so somebody ought to know. 36"?

I'll look more closely to see if I can lock it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:51 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
bob turner wrote: ...snip... The rest of it is literally easier than just posting text here - a couple keystrokes, and "boom" - a photo appears on MTJ.

Not here, the word "IMAGE" appears and then I right-click on it and select "View image" and then it appears in a separate screen.

Odd. Perhaps a consequence of browser settings and OS?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:51 pm

bob turner wrote:No idea on the min radius - Lobaugh frame/cylinders/lead truck, so somebody ought to know. 36"?

I'll look more closely to see if I can lock it.

Thanks.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:29 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Odd. Perhaps a consequence of browser settings and OS?

Other posted photos show up; Windows 8.1/Firefox 82.0b4 (64 bit).

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 am

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Odd. Perhaps a consequence of browser settings and OS?

Other posted photos show up; Windows 8.1/Firefox 82.0b4 (64 bit).

Windows 8.1............well............hmmmmm.............

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 pm

Last one - well, I do have an SE-4 0-8-0 under construction, but it is still pretty ugly - and another Pratt 0-6-0 that just got a slope back tender and firebox this month - I can use them to bump this thread in 2021?

17/64; tender drive. An ash pan will hide that drive shaft, someday. And it will get weathered when I feel like it. And yes, I like spoked wheels, even though by 1920 none of these locomotives had them under their tenders.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm

bob turner wrote:Last one - well, I do have an SE-4 0-8-0 under construction, but it is still pretty ugly - and another Pratt 0-6-0 that just got a slope back tender and firebox this month - I can use them to bump this thread in 2021?

No one here will object.

And yes, I like spoked wheels, even though by 1920 none of these locomotives had them under their tenders.

As do I. I need to settle down for a few days and swap out all the lead trucks of my F3c's to spoked wheels and then the tenders.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 pm

bob turner wrote: ...snip... 17/64; tender drive. An ash pan will hide that drive shaft, someday. And it will get weathered when I feel like it. And yes, I like spoked wheels, even though by 1920 none of these locomotives had them under their tenders.

I like the spoke wheels, too. And I would not have noticed the tender drive if you had not mentioned it.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Okay - very last ones, unless a new kit drops in my lap or I do more cab forwards.

First is an SE-4. I may leave it this way, since it runs, and I resurrected some absolute junk to make it. Note the drivers - I had to pull them out of the frame and re-machine them - their tires were so thick they looked like 1950 Lincoln white walls. I think I even filed the spokes longer.
I got the shape right, and stuck a Lobaugh reject Mike cab on there. Domes are cast by Dennis using my pattern.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 pm

And the last Pratt/Lobaugh switcher gets a firebox and new tender. Unfortunately, I have run out of lifting injectors and check valves, so the project stops here until I twist Bob Stevenson's arm a bit. I shall do a new cab for the Williams B6sb, after I clean up my act!

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:11 pm

Nice work, Bob.
SWaiting for more.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”