Funny story........

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Funny story........

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am

bob turner wrote:Malcolm, Santiago, Sarah, some guy from the Netherlands, Erik, me, Strummer, Ed Bommer, and I bet I forgot at least two - all fairly active.

Our definitions of active are not congruent, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 am

If you think this forum is more active, model train wise, then absolutely - our impressions are not congruent. Wasn't always this way.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:27 am

bob turner wrote:If you think this forum is more active, model train wise, then absolutely - our impressions are not congruent. Wasn't always this way.

You have misunderstood - I was not referring to overall activity but to active modelers actually routinely building models and posting their efforts. I'm not counting rehash of rehashed.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 am

Malcolm, Santiago, Sarah, some guy from the Netherlands, Erik, me, Strummer, Ed Bommer, and I bet I forgot at least two - all fairly active.

I don't think any O scale forum is as active as it once was. Maybe part of the graying of the hobby. Sarah and the guy from the Netherlands are the really active (building) modelers at OGR and they are ate up with it and inspiring to say the least. Sarah just discovered the P-48 forum so will see if she spends time there. Both of them have the passion I once had about O scale and very glad to see it.

99% of the posters are just commenting (like me) rather than modeling, but it still makes it more active than here......most of the time. I still hope to be a more active modeler this winter, as the car has taken up all my spare time this summer as my healing hip has allowed it. But, we're moving back to OK shortly :shock: :shock: so will see how time and modeling plays out.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:46 am

up148 wrote:But, we're moving back to OK shortly :shock: :shock:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:42 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

My bet: Mom misses the kids.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:52 am

Rehash of rehashed? Here, only you and Pete are submitting new stuff. Mine is by definition rehashed. I am re-creating old, lost threads. But over there even the rehashers are presenting new stuff.

Dave Scale Craft has been carrying us for months just poking fun at eBay. Where do we go from here - he seems to have stopped.

I will keep going with my rehash. I seem to be at that point where I am spending half my time on the couch with iPad in hand, rather than doing useful things. I do have an annual inspection to do this week, and most of the heavy work is done, but I can only turn wrenches for about four hours, then it is back to the couch for more internet trouble.

So maybe it is time for rehashed Cab Forwards?

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Bingo....but it's both of us. We can talk with the kids and do so every week, mostly about the business and their lives (they call us), but the grand kids is another matter. No comparison between being there and seeing them on face time. We miss them soooooo much.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 pm

bob turner wrote:Rehash of rehashed? Here, only you and Pete are submitting new stuff. Mine is by definition rehashed. I am re-creating old, lost threads. But over there even the rehashers are presenting new stuff.

Dave Scale Craft has been carrying us for months just poking fun at eBay. Where do we go from here - he seems to have stopped.

I will keep going with my rehash. I seem to be at that point where I am spending half my time on the couch with iPad in hand, rather than doing useful things. I do have an annual inspection to do this week, and most of the heavy work is done, but I can only turn wrenches for about four hours, then it is back to the couch for more internet trouble.

So maybe it is time for rehashed Cab Forwards?

I think any post here about trains is great. Hell, I go to the MRH HO website sometimes as the activity level there is phenomenal and they have certain articles and product reviews that are relevant to O scale as well

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:31 pm

up148 wrote:
E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Bingo....but it's both of us. We can talk with the kids and do so every week, mostly about the business and their lives (they call us), but the grand kids is another matter. No comparison between being there and seeing them on face time. We miss them soooooo much.

Makes good sense. I am envious.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:33 pm

bob turner wrote:Rehash of rehashed? Here, only you and Pete are submitting new stuff.

I will continue if there is interest.

But over there even the rehashers are presenting new stuff.

Some are...........some are not........

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:15 pm

up148 wrote:
E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

As long as the two of you are happy, that is ALL that matters.

That said, those RE people will be sending you Christmas cards! LOL

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Living long enough to enjoy your grand kids is maybe your best bonus for raising their parents.
Absolutely.
I'll be a new Grandad around x-mas, best present ever!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm

Speaking about posting stuff on forums about building things I have to say I’ve had little luck with it. When I would spend a few hours taking pictures and writing up methods and things it just seemed like a waste of my time for the limited interest it generated. Maybe it was what I picked to write about. I don’t know. I did one on tricks and tips on how to use Fast Tracks jigs and laying the track and how you can get away with fewer jigs than you might think. I did another one on how to add a pretty good sized high base speaker to geared locomotives by disguising the speaker as an oil tank mounted above the water tank. I did one on building torque arms. I did one on how to make reflectors for head lights that used 1.8 mm LEDs. None of them really went anywhere with discussions or questions, just a few comments. The only one that I felt was a success with a lot of questions/discussion was using sanded grout as oil impregnated ground covering ties like one found in older engine terminals. Also using sanded grout as ground cover generated interest and a healthy discussion.

Peter

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 pm

If I want to read about building model trains in 0 scale I come here. There is always something interesting. At least to me.
Murph used to post photos of his layout and was always concerned that they had been posted before. I almost always found
something I had missed earlier. I am a three railer and do not have the knowledge to go into detail about specifics on 0 scale
trains. I will look at the photos that Bob or others post many times and enjoy them but often have nothing to say except
that I think they are great models. This 3 r person has only one model railroad magazine subscription to 0 Scale Trains.
I cannot do it but really like reading about how others make the fantastic models that they do. I read the old OST forum also.

MTJ is my favorite forum but sometimes I get whelmed with the political discussions but know that I can come to the 2R
forum and read about trains. I really enjoyed this topic, Funny story.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”