Union Pacific vol 2

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Union Pacific vol 2

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:29 pm

I am all for thread drift. In fact, I have participated in turning Vol 1 into a general discussion on photo posting, and would change the title accordingly if I knew how.

But page one has three locomotive photos posted, so this volume will add to that. I have deleted the word "steam" because I have a couple UP Diesels. I hope that others can find vol 1 and figure out how to again post photos in MTJ. I too miss Chris, John, and Jon's photos. I am actually a closet PRR and NW freak.

This is really a Jabelmann Challenger - but I chose the DRGW decals just to be ornery. It belonged to Peter Cozens - a good buddy from OSW who left us a couple years back. Jay hooked me up with the guy selling Peter's estate, and I wound up with whatever Peter had collected over the years. This tender was not pressed by me, but is not one of the dead soft etched things that Al Ellis produced. It could be early production on the Gerry White sewing machine rivet deal. Someday I shall "weather" this model.

bob turner

Re: Union Pacific vol 2

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:05 pm

My second posting is the 4-12-2. I am quite happy with this beast - it runs, and makes it around my 74" radius curves. Those side rods were cast from my patterns by Dennis, who loaned me one of the Kratville books to get them accurate. I subsequently invested in Volume 1 of the 4-12-2 series, without which this thing would be far less accurate.

As usual, Jay C contributed - see that gorgeous nickel silver Gresley gear? A gift from Jay.

Obviously, I still have a few things to do before paint. But my hobby is the progression - once the final touches are on and the model is tested, it goes on the display shelf, often to never run again! but don't worry: I lubricate all moving parts with 30 wt engine oil - might get stiff, but I don/t think it hardens.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:12 pm

I should update this photo - I just checked; the ashpan screens are on, and all those braces and the ladder are installed on the pilot beam. Still, you get the idea -

Those drive wheels are truly useful - I managed to capture enough axles to do this, an AC-4, an MM-2, and a C&O Berk. I think USH imported several hundred extra sets for the Allegheny.

Oh - I should mention that I had a Lionel version. Inaccurate sand dome, and of course 3-rail, so I sold it. But it was indeed a beauty - better detailed than my carefully scratch-built version. Wait until I get to the FEF - you will see how nice the Lionel can be if you just jack it up and put USH drivers under it.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:29 pm

Ah - found a more recent shot. This model is not nearly as good as Sarah's "Sunset", and in some respects not even as good as the Lionel, but still, it pleases me.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Here is the Lionel version - Stunning, except for that sand dome. I could have fixed that, but one 4-12-2 is enough for me. Now, I may not be done with 3- cylinder steam, since I have a really soft spot for the SP-type and the big Baldwin.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Tried that. Missed the “change subject” button. Too late - vols 1 & 2 seems to work

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:58 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 pm

(This is my second attempt at this post. The first appeared to post but then disappeared)

Good grief -- what kind of track radius does one need to support a twelve-coupled?

Here are a few glamour shots of that ex-N&W Y3a. I am guessing that Bob doesn't have one of these, and so I should be able to post this without stepping on his toes. The UP got a few of these when the war broke out, as N&W had built enough Y6 units as replacements to surplus them. UP, like all western roads, was motive power hungry as a result of the war in the Pacific.

I can post close-ups of the engine and tender separately if there is interest.
Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:21 pm

I want to see photos of any UP locomotives here. Do not feel restricted to things not in my collection, and by all means post really good models. Butch and I will love you for it.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:15 pm

Not strictly UP, but I am not starting a Delaware & Hudson thread just for this thing. Lobaugh pre-war, came to me badly damaged and cut-up for USH gearboxes. I re-did it with post-war Lobaugh gears and a new tender body and cab. It is now just resting on my Lobaugh display shelf.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Here is the Lionel FEF. Note the USH drivers. Yes, the Lionel drivers would be ok, but their frame did not suit, and I had this ready to go. The side rods were my very first attempt at making side rod masters, and were cast by a farmer neighbor of Harmon Monk's. They are crude by my current standards, but will have to do - the Lionel rods were simply incorrect.
Only the main frame, drivers, side rods, and wheelsets were replaced. I used Lionel cylinders, valve gear, main rods, crossheads, etc. The result makes the USH look like an early attempt. Yes, die cast, and it may someday explode - but so far, so good.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:01 pm

This is probably the last Challenger I will hit you with. Last count I had at least six UP, and these two. This one is mostly Lobaugh, but the tender is a wood block. Decals were a gift from Scale Craft Dave many moons ago. There are two Pittman 8234s in the firebox, one over the other. The reason you do not see driveshafts is that the front engine is driven by a shaft that goes through the rear worm. I called it the "twin spool" approach, and was going to patent it until I determined that fees alone would exceed a grand. Even though I have taught patent law, and am a registered patent attorney, I found the cost excessive in comparison to the ego trip of holding a model train patent. It was a good idea, though, and would be even better with tooth belts dropping the power down, instead of Delrin chain. Herewith:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Oh - I have the proper PSC Commonwealth trucks for the tender, but so far the motivation to change them has not struck. It will happen some day. The Lobaugh Cab Forward has the same problem, and I had proper trucks cast for that. It will appear on the Cab Forward thread "soon."

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Here is the USH FEF - a spectacular model. Not sure I have a photo of the entire model. I will look.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”