Union Pacific Steam

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Union Pacific Steam

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:21 pm

bob turner wrote:
They will pester you about twice a day to buy something. I just hit the trash button, but I am sure that option can be turned off.

Seen that pestering carp before. FaceBook and Spamazon are the worst visibly at tracking your movements and spam/scam with ads.
Windoze 10 is probably the highest profile running in the background.

I have very little that sneaks past. MicroSlime, even though they try, just cannot seem to make XP their spy on users. So I get none of that, no telemetry back to MS, no "unique advertiser ID" with MS. Log out of FB, clean cookies. Have ad blockers, user-agent switcher, remove-it-permanently......lots of add-ons in FireFox, which they fixed a while back when they went to a new engine..and you can't load older legacy items that actually worked.
But they shot themselves in the foot.

Can't load anything newer than FF52ESR on XP, so all my legacy add-ons work. Blocks stuff we used to be able to block, but with the Brave New World, the movers in the internet world kill off our ability to block ads, block script, kill third party cookies...because they NEED to know WHO you are, where you've been, what you look at, and sell that data on to marketers for big bucks.

New moro.....errr...guy in charge at MS basically said that when 10 came out. They USED to make money by selling and maintaining software. Not any more. They give the software away, and spy and track on everything you do.

There are folks who will tell you that isn't what's happening. And to just get used to it.

That IS what's happening, and I for one ain't getting used to it.

Do you think it's right your new photo service defaults to spamming you?
When you initially signed in, did it give you options for opting out?
They used to.
Now it defaults to spam.

I am almost at the point of separate devices for separate tasks.
I already have separate e-mails. Helps you track morons. Sort of like the old ads in MR or RMC.....reply to DEPT MR or reply to DEPT RMC.

I had some spam come through, a while back, lots of it, tracked easily by e-mail address to one site. I am no longer logged in to that site.

I am constantly changing minor things to combat the stupidity of websites and the lemming attitude of users.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:45 pm

I am happy that they are so interested in my relatively unimportant existence. So far nothing bad has happened to me on the internet. I don’t care for the pop-up ads, but I have labored to get my friends to not forward jokes and right-wing stuff. So far so good.

Shutterfly wants to sell me stuff -printed albums, t-shirts, coffee mugs - just press”my albums” and happily move your photos around. Sometimes it seems like it is working slowly on the upload, but posting on MTJ is like falling off a log.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:02 pm

By the way, on page 3 of the Covid 19 Projects thread, Dave describes the Shutterfly process. His description is better than mine, and will get you going.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:45 am

I was looking for my 4-12-2, and found this rather unused thread. Maybe I forgot to post photos of the rest of my UP locomotives? The last post here was a year and a half ago.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:46 pm

Absolutely certain that I posted this somewhere a while back. Scratchbuilt, 1/4" scale, many Dennis castings and a few from Jay C. Center rod does operate, but only on an eccentric - cranked axles are beyond my tiny sphere of interest. Lionel tender trucks! Very close to finished - might not paint it, since it has been almost a decade since my last contest.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Speaking of Lionel, here is their version of a "nine" - I am unable to identify its prototype, even with volume 1 of the fabulous Kratville book in my lap, but still it is a wonderful scale model. Rather than 2-rail this one, I sold it to a 3-railer, where I assume it will have a good home. I did 2-rail the Lionel FEF, and am almost sure I posted it somewhere here - is it possible I started a new UP Steam thread because this one got filled up with no photos?

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:52 pm

bob turner wrote:…Lionel tender trucks!….

Do you recall the wheel set manufacturer or part number you used ? Also, did you modify the trucks with ball bearings for the wheel sets?

I’m trying to use those exact trucks for a project. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:33 pm

They are 700T trucks. They may be available as trucks from the recent 1-700E, or perhaps Williams. Detail is as good as it gets, for unsprung die cast.

For me, ball bearings are useless except on worm shafts and in motors. I do not have the space to pull 100 car trains, and the slight drag of steel axle in good Zamac is truly negligible.

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:48 pm

NWSL wheels? Overall length? Blunt or pointed axles?

Thanks

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:18 am

Lobaugh wheelsets. Same length as any short Commonwealth - Lionel got it right in 1939.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”