somebody is nutz in Georgia

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

somebody is nutz in Georgia

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:50 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-O-Scale ... 3604728088

The construction is unbelievable. One missing wheelset is nothing....there are no gearboxes or motors.
There is zero value here unless you see sideframes you need. The apron is...special. One photo shows it flopped down around two pins.

I don't know....think Turner can fix it? Three shot glasses.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

ScaleCraft

Re: somebody is nutz in Georgia

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm

The extensive use of Lost-Wax brass casting, the finely etched brass carsides, the true attention to the prototype, going as far as mis-matched sideframes between A and B unit.
The finely profiled (woodgrained) nose, the windscreen area is to die for.
The truck bolsters are...innovative.
The lettering is exquisite. Far better than the "Railroad Roman" everybody else uses.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Not really a "bump", rather and "update".
The original Trainz listing is flagged as "sold".

Marmac Valley #650 "A" unit, right?

Condition: Used
Ended: Sep 03, 2020 , 1:45PM
Price: US $163.19

Now it's been re-listed by Trainz, same road name, same road number...except if you look closely it doth appear to have been shipped to somebody, and returned, with two Post Office trips causing parts to be no longer attached.

Cheaper!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-O-Scale ... 3768890101

Condition: Used
Price: US $119.37

Truck separated, more loose wheelsets, fuel tank skirting off, nose apron now a separate piece.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:48 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Now it's been re-listed by Trainz, same road name, same road number...except if you look closely it doth appear to have been shipped to somebody, and returned, with two Post Office trips causing parts to be no longer attached.

Trainz has had a history of poor shipping/packing practices..........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Trainz has had a history of poor shipping/packing practices..........
I once asked them if they wanted the foam peanuts I needed to recycle -- they told me they don't use them because customers complain about how the peanuts harm boxes. Apparently they leave residue or cause the printing on Lionel boxes to wear off. I was surprised to hear that they don't use them since I just cannot imagine shipping scale models without using peanuts for cushioning.

In my ebay dealings, I've learned that Lionel sellers really suck at shipping. They like using crumbled newspaper as packing (doesn't work for that) and will do anything they can to fit the shipment into a free Priority Mail box. They also don't understand that shipping insurance is worthless when the contents in the box are poorly packaged.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Chris Webster wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Trainz has had a history of poor shipping/packing practices..........
I once asked them if they wanted the foam peanuts I needed to recycle -- they told me they don't use them because customers complain about how the peanuts harm boxes. Apparently they leave residue or cause the printing on Lionel boxes to wear off. I was surprised to hear that they don't use them since I just cannot imagine shipping scale models without using peanuts for cushioning.

I tend to use bubble wrap more than peanuts myself, but 1st wrapping stuff in a rather nice heavy industrial paper towel material to keep stuff out of contact of the plastic.

In my ebay dealings, I've learned that Lionel sellers really suck at shipping. They like using crumbled newspaper as packing (doesn't work for that) and will do anything they can to fit the shipment into a free Priority Mail box. They also don't understand that shipping insurance is worthless when the contents in the box are poorly packaged.

Using paper - I get a lot of crumbled up brown paper - pretty substandard as packing material. I read somewhere that the PO or UPS does not accept it as packing material when filing a claim.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:18 pm

I disagree that crumpled paper (referred to by some in the parcel industry as "bogus" paper) is inadequate for protecting the contents.
It's adequate if it is not packed too tightly or loosely, the primary reason why it's often blamed for damage, hint- it's the packer himself.
The trick is in the "packing" as in the verb, not wadding it up too tightly or loosely, and distributing it evenly in the carton and getting the over-pack just right, likewise should be used to pack around an inner carton. Also the stiffer brown packing paper is better then newsprint, but newspaper can work fine too if you have the patience to use it (wad it) correctly and have enough of it handy. Primarily when shipping cars as opposed to engines, as there peanuts, correctly employed/overpacked are indeed better (screw the orange box crowd) for brass and heavier objects like weighted locomotives.
Opinion based on my experience running DC parcel lines as well as shipping a lot of models .
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:51 am

De Bruin wrote:I disagree that crumpled paper (referred to by some in the parcel industry as "bogus" paper) is inadequate for protecting the contents.
It's adequate if it is not packed too tightly or loosely, the primary reason why it's often blamed for damage, hint- it's the packer himself.
The trick is in the "packing" as in the verb, not wadding it up too tightly or loosely, and distributing it evenly in the carton and getting the over-pack just right, likewise should be used to pack around an inner carton. Also the stiffer brown packing paper is better then newsprint, but newspaper can work fine too if you have the patience to use it (wad it) correctly and have enough of it handy. Primarily when shipping cars as opposed to engines, as there peanuts, correctly employed/overpacked are indeed better (screw the orange box crowd) for brass and heavier objects like weighted locomotives.
Opinion based on my experience running DC parcel lines as well as shipping a lot of models .

Well, if it can be used correctly then whatever Trainz used to do with crumpled paper was a lesson on how to do it wrong. Every item that I got from them shipped that way was damaged. The items that they shipped using bubble wrap have all arrived in good shape.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:35 am

I've received damaged shipments from TrainZ too, and not limited to ones that were just packed with paper, that said lately their packing quality has seemed to improve, at least so far this year.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:42 am

What works best for me: Always double box with a couple inches of packing material around all 6 sides of the inner box so it is centered inside the outer carton. Use original factory packing if possible, and make sure the contents are immobile and cannot move around inside the inner box. Same principle as wearing a seat belt in an auto. Use quality packing tape. Pray. :mrgreen:

I request shippers sending items to me to do the same. If you are courteous with your request, they generally comply.

I find that the best filler is solid sheets of foam insulation, but it is not inexpensive if you have to purchase it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:18 am

E7 wrote:What works best for me: Always double box with a couple inches of packing material around all 6 sides of the inner box so it is centered inside the outer carton. Use original factory packing if possible, and make sure the contents are immobile and cannot move around inside the inner box. Same principle as wearing a seat belt in an auto. Use quality packing tape. Pray. :mrgreen:

I request shippers sending items to me to do the same. If you are courteous with your request, they generally comply.

I find that the best filler is solid sheets of foam insulation, but it is not inexpensive if you have to purchase it.

Basically do the same +/- a bit.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:40 am

E7 wrote:...... Use quality packing tape. Pray. :mrgreen:

Yep, prayer and good tape are good, ditto decent shipping cartons, not an issue with dealers like TranZ who buy virgin cartons in bulk from Uline or Grainger but some individuals will re-use a carton that's been in their storage for years and as a result is too soft from humidity having little rigidity. Not good either.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:51 am

De Bruin wrote:
E7 wrote:...... Use quality packing tape. Pray. :mrgreen:

Yep, prayer and good tape are good, ditto decent shipping cartons, not an issue with dealers like TranZ who buy virgin cartons in bulk from Uline or Grainger but some individuals will re-use a carton that's been in their storage for years and as a result is too soft from humidity having little rigidity. Not good either.

I get most of my boxes from Uline or the equivalent. I will re-use a box if it's decent for what I'm shipping. Cheap a$$ buyers that complain about shipping are clueless that boxes and packing materials cost money.

But, I have gotten boxes from Trains that have clearly been around the track 3-4 times..... Curious to see what the next one brings....

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Basically do the same +/- a bit.

As they say: There is more than one way to skin a cat!

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:58 pm

De Bruin wrote:some individuals will re-use a carton that's been in their storage for years and as a result is too soft from humidity having little rigidity.

Sadly, some people are, and will always be, clueless.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”