Need GM or A-N NW2 part

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Need GM or A-N NW2 part

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:21 pm

For three rail versions, there was this multiple bend piece that fit around the non-powered truck axles, ridged, to hold pickup assembly. Anybody converting one of these to 2-rail will remove them!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

ScaleCraft

Re: Need GM or A-N NW2 part

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:33 pm

This is the part I need, less roller assembly, less truck, less mounting plate:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Most of us pitch this sort of stuff. Try the 3-Rail forums?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Did both. I would imagine usually the 2-rail folks have them from conversions to 2-rail. This is for the next one, a dummy, got a power truck (vertical motor, field wound) waiting to hear back on getting wheels changed out.
No rush, thought I'd start early looking.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:52 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:I would imagine usually the 2-rail folks have them from conversions to 2-rail.

There's so many 2 rail ones available that converting them isn't worth the time.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Don't have, but can you measure the thickness and roll your own out of brass sheet?
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Well.....I'd say you may be right. Except: I know folks who did that, to the point of filling in the coupler slot and filing out a space for a Kadee box. Several folk's worth. You see one of them, and think "something is different about the coupler area on that". Ask, and that's what they did. New trucks (when you could still pick up the phone and order such), motor, shafts.....so it may be more prevalent than we think.

One of my 3-rail units came with no end plates whatsoever. Had Lionel electromagnet couplers hanging out the void. One of the forum folks here HAD a set of three rail ends. Now, they came from somewhere, my guess is a 3-2 conversion. And I just did one myself, 2-3. So it happens.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:04 pm

DaveJfr0 wrote:Don't have, but can you measure the thickness and roll your own out of brass sheet?

Maybe. Only critical parts are it must fit around the axles and axle spacing. I am thinking sheet metal. Have some, multiple tin snips (body work stuff), drift punch in the vise, torch, hammer and pliers.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Well.....I'd say you may be right. Except: I know folks who did that, to the point of filling in the coupler slot and filing out a space for a Kadee box. Several folk's worth. You see one of them, and think "something is different about the coupler area on that". Ask, and that's what they did. New trucks (when you could still pick up the phone and order such), motor, shafts.....so it may be more prevalent than we think.

Yeah, I know yet the 2 rail versions were/are readily available.....

One of my 3-rail units came with no end plates whatsoever. Had Lionel electromagnet couplers hanging out the void. One of the forum folks here HAD a set of three rail ends. Now, they came from somewhere, my guess is a 3-2 conversion. And I just did one myself, 2-3. So it happens.

Yeah, it happened yet the 2 rail versions were and remain relatively common. I've seen partial parts piles for sale for years wondering whatever happened to the res of the body; some got hacked up into whatevers......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”