A-N NP NW2

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

A-N NP NW2

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:04 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O-scale-2-rail ... 3034749936

While I am enamored of NP equipment, the asking for what's there isn't good. Opinion.

Hand paint can be good, but you need to be a bit better than this example. The stripes need to come off and re-done with probably decal stripes, which means shell repaint. The end railings....geez. The silver around the cab windows is...bad. Once you strip it and repaint it, you can fix all of that....but then it isn't an NP anymore....more decals. Has 3-rail ends with swinging coupler, that in the photo looks too big. Hard to say. The RED class lights go away. The brakeman on the front plate....thyroid condition? Looks like his eyes are gonna pop out of his head.

Absolutely no shots of underneath. LOOKS like 2-rail wheels from the limited photographic evidence.

Maybe it's a good deal at $150 + $15, but I've never, ever paid anywhere close to that for one.

Oh, and just call up All Nation and order the proper ends before you repaint it, right?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: A-N NP NW2

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Absolutely no shots of underneath.

Price and all else aside - w/o a shot of the drive arrangement you have no idea at all of what this really is.
Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Yup. Like I said, absolutely no under shots. Field wound with a rectumfrier? Speedometer cable drive shafts? Wore out gears? Helical or straight cut gears? Delrin chain drive?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:33 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:Yup. Like I said, absolutely no under shots. Field wound with a rectumfrier? Speedometer cable drive shafts? Wore out gears? Helical or straight cut gears? Delrin chain drive?

Single or dual...........
Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
ScaleCraft wrote:Yup. Like I said, absolutely no under shots. Field wound with a rectumfrier? Speedometer cable drive shafts? Wore out gears? Helical or straight cut gears? Delrin chain drive?

Single or dual...........

It does say 8-wheel drive. But with pricing and condition like that, makes one wary of the overall truthfulness of any statements.

Used car salesman....."Engine Just Rebuilt!", "Never in a flood!", "No rust!"
Long ago I wanted to buy a big T-bird, 74 or 76 or something. Local, decent price, went over to look....drove good, opened my truck, puled the jack out, the guy representing the seller asked what I was doing.
Gonna check it out, brakes, shocks, suspension, exhaust oil leaks.

Oh no you're not. The lady selling it didn't check it out before she bought it!

Loaded the jack back in the truck....didn't say a word, got in the truck and drove off.

This engine...get in the truck and drive off.

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Last one I sold was for 75 I think, complete unpainted. And the guy got to look at the8 wheel ddrive!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Somewhere in here is a picture of my NP NW2. While I like it, I am sure you would appreciate it more. Its history includes Seacrest. Look around for an NW 2 body in similar condition, with paint you don't like. Or better yet, a brass body.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:00 pm

I have six, counting the 600HP unit.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Going to try a photo post.
"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Maybe NK has an NW2 thread? I'll go look.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Yeah. Go there. My paint is a lot better than the one you cite. Keeping the trucks.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Here's the deal. I have a three rail shell (wide coupler slots), painted black.
You send me yours, I'll swap the ends, mail you back this blank shell for your trucks.

That way I don't have to paint this shell. Also, anybody have a standard A-N power truck with tinplate wheels? Have one in a box, no power truck, two dummys, thinking horizontal AC motor like one of the ones I have.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:23 pm

Okay. Same handrails?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

I just closed the OGR thread that showed it. End rails are attached to the ends, you want those back on your end beams? What I figured. Not sure I am enamored of gold sideframes. Keep your trucks and screws to hold them in unless you have this wired up to run headlights in a dummy. Then send the whole thing and I'll swap it all out.
You'll get a black shell and gold sideframes back with 2-rail end beams unless you want something different. I can swap out end railings if you want.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 am

How do you close out an NK thread? By insulting Rich and Arnold in the same sentence? No intention of sending my bronze trucks. Zamac would be different. What I meant was - you can have the paint job, but I want similar handrails.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:38 am

bob turner wrote:How do you close out an NK thread? By insulting Rich and Arnold in the same sentence? No intention of sending my bronze trucks. Zamac would be different. What I meant was - you can have the paint job, but I want similar handrails.

You close it by hitting the "X". I do NOT have anything 0GeR bookmarked. Any time someone says "over there" I have to go searching, and never know which forum or thread or even subforum.
Links always help, like this:
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/all ... elp-needed
And right click on photo, copy image location, come here, click the "img" button and paste that URL for the image in:

End railings part of end beams. The little side railings near the radiator, no. Not sure if I can get them out without destroying them.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”