Big engine for you BIG spenders!

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Time to step up: Big engine for you BIG spenders:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Pro ... urbine-500
"We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo Possum

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Big engine for you BIG spenders!

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 pm

Interesting, it's advertised as a custom 1 of a kind build, yet it's also listed as by Sunset Models
Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Interesting, it's advertised as a custom 1 of a kind build, yet it's also listed as by Sunset Models

I missed that....probably the fruit of a cloned listing. I could be mistaken but I think Sunset might have been fishing to see if they could get enough orders to build it a while back. The radius required for that one would preclude the CVRR. That's the bad news. The good news is you could have written out the complete name on the side!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:39 pm

The good thing is a bit of heat the plexi will melt out and you'll have usable scrap brass.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm

E7 wrote: The radius required for that one would preclude the CVRR. That's the bad news.

Its length is probably close to 1/2 the width of my entire layout, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The good news is you could have written out the complete name on the side!

Nah, the good news is that its length is probably close to 1/2 the width of my entire layout, and I'll never be tempted to put a penny towards such a bit of silliness.
Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Ya gotta admit it would be a great gag lettered up and sitting on a straight....or is it still too long? I'm not making fun....I'd rather have ANY of your locos than that mess!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Didn't Sunset do one in Half 0? Maybe they saw this one and thought, gee, maybe same company, just bigger and plexiglas.

I repaired a Big Boy once, 1:32, #1 gauge Aster, one of a handful electric rather than stem.
Bevel gearbox stripped out, no parts, so we made a new gearbox to bolt the three Cannon motors to and shaft out to drives.

8' minimum radius. Apparently they meant that.
My RR outside is 6'8" radius. Went to put it on a siding for the guys to see when they showed up (we also did radio/battery/sound), engine on he track, turned to get the tender, forgetting this was the shallow 2% grade leading to the 4%....turned back, no engine. No worms, all bevel gears and ball bearings, and it just took off....hit the 6'8" and it was all over the ties and ballast.

So, yeah, this ain't something you'll see converted to 027 Lionel.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:28 pm

E7 wrote:Ya gotta admit it would be a great gag lettered up and sitting on a straight....or is it still too long? I'm not making fun....I'd rather have ANY of your locos than that mess!

Oh, it would fit on the straight on the one side of the room, and probably move back and forth a foot or 3.....

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”