Is this one of Lorenzen's?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Is this one of Lorenzen's?

Postby bob turner » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Maroon is correct. All of my FAs are stamped "Ken Kraft."

You know, with a careful re-shaping of the windshield openings, these are almost as good as All Nation! I prefer brass/bronze anyway.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:31 pm

Carey Williams wrote: ....is the Ken Kraft stamped on the roof casting and or truck castings ..like the FA's ?

Yes Carey the F3 has what appears to be a single die stamping under the roof trough that accommodates the four centered-in-line
circular cooling fans. It appears as below

"KEN KRAFT"
"MEADVILLE"

Again per Maroon's post the truck side-frames on this example are Baldwins and are mounted on what appears to be crudely fabricated brass-stock bolsters, sans any markings.

Bob, I do think these A&S/Ken Kraft F's do compare well with the All Nations but ..."whew"... do require some skillful milling to eliminate the "Frankenstein look" there around the windshield and side windows.
Crisis Consultant remediating legal-media issues; neutralizing health science academy studies, bureau findings, personal media histories etc. Dis-inform with simulated facts etc. your daily atrocity no big deal.
contact morbo@predatorsdontfeelguilt.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:45 am

I use a carbide burr, and sneak up on it. Mistakes can be fixed, but better to go slowly. Same with the Alcos.

I do use an end mill on the casting half before soldering, but just to rough it in. Final contour is by hand.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Thank you for verifying that the FA's are stamped / marked ... something to look for cheers carey

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:10 pm

And according to Maroon, via phone call, the units shown in the evilbait offering in the beginning of this thread are NOT so marked, so they could be anything after Ken Kraft.
Including Loco Workshop.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”