Rails Unlimited Brake Shoes

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Rails Unlimited Brake Shoes

Postby up148 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am

Just installed some of Ted's new brake shoes on an Athearn truck and installed it on a tank car. Fills in the empty space on the Athearn truck nicely. Still needs some weathering and maybe even some fine tuning and shaping, but what an easy solution to dress up the truck. Tried to post some photos, but as usual the quota has been met.

Guys, you if you use the MTJ photo hosting you need to go in and purge all your old photos. I purged all my photos a month ago, so no more to purge for me.

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Rails Unlimited Brake Shoes

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:01 am

up148 wrote:Just installed some of Ted's new brake shoes on an Athearn truck and installed it on a tank car.

Which style of truck? I had difficulty fitting the brake shoe casting from Scale City into the Athearn Archbar trucks.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:32 am

Put these on the stock Athearn Bettendorf trucks Rufus. They replace the stock lower spring plank and fit nicely. Doesn't make installing the 3 springs any easier, but a piece of thread inside the spring and some strong four letter words always helps. :D

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 am

up148 wrote:Put these on the stock Athearn Bettendorf trucks Rufus. They replace the stock lower spring plank and fit nicely.

Ok, the Scale City ones worked with the stock Athearn Bettendorf trucks; have to get some of the Rails Unlimited ones to try with the Archbar - slightly different wheelbase...

Doesn't make installing the 3 springs any easier, but a piece of thread inside the spring and some strong four letter words always helps.

Always fun; I use a combination of a fine set of tweezers and a #11 scalpel, and some strong four letter words, too. :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Unlimited ones to try with the Archbar - slightly different wheelbase...

I have right at 1/16" clearance between tread and brake shoe.

This link might take you to P-48 IO group and photo of brake installed. Looks like more than 1/16" clearance in photo, but just measured it. I think the angle of the photo throws it off.

https://groups.io/g/proto48/message/23224

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”