We need an NW-2 thread, with photos

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: We need an NW-2 thread, with photos

Postby bob turner » Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 pm

calf 001.jpg
calf 001.jpg (438.66 KiB) Viewed 4326 times

Hey - I can post photos again! Does that mean that all my Lobaugh Mikes have been deleted?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm

bob turner wrote:
Hey - I can post photos again!

Hurray! Maybe that weekend host/server work added space?

Does that mean that all my Lobaugh Mikes have been deleted?

Go look.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Here is an interesting NW-2 from an eBay auction that closed early this week:

It appears to be a factory demonstrator from General Models Corporation, developer of what most O-scalers know as the All Nation NW-2. The paint and lettering are in remarkable condition for its age:

The drive is missing but original GMC drives are not hard to find (There were five listed in an auction just a few days ago). I am not a collector, but this would have made an interesting conversational item. Alas, it is a three-rail version, so I did not bid.

Finding the two-rail end pieces and then matching the paint was more work than I was willing to sign up for. It sold for $40 plus shipping.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri May 22, 2020 1:05 pm

$40 is more than I would have spent for a three-rail NW2, complete. The cost to pay that, plus shipping, plus drives, plus and electronic reversing unit ($50) makes it silly.
As you said, finding ends and matching paint, PLUS two rail drives is also a non-starter.

I have one here, recently finished, free shell, free drives, and I happened to have a new in the box QSI reversing unit I also got for free.

Still, nice paint.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 22, 2020 1:16 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:It appears to be a factory demonstrator from General Models Corporation, developer of what most O-scalers know as the All Nation NW-2. The paint and lettering are in remarkable condition for its age

Interesting - thanks - did not notice it listed, but then again just as you stated, converting it to 2-rail with the proper ends, matching paint, etc. Not worth the time - might have looked good on a shelf as a paperweight........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Gotta love Trainz descriptors.
"Custom Cast NW2"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Cast-O- ... 3597354997

Too much, but still, 8-wheel drive of unknown origin, right?

There are so many of these out there, how can they miss it like that?

Just to show you the "Custom Cast" nomenclature is not a fluke:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Cast-Pe ... 3603892616

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Can Trainz possibly get worse photos? With digital editors, train photos are now trivially easy.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri May 22, 2020 2:04 pm

I dunno Bob....I can see them just fine.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 22, 2020 2:30 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:I dunno Bob....I can see them just fine.

I can see them fine as well - they're still crappy photos, but that's normal from Trainz.

Whoever takes the photos hangs back too far. Just move the tripod 3' closer......bet some stuff just might sell better, :lol: Then again, some might not sell at all if you get a good look.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I can see them fine as well - they're still crappy photos, but that's normal from Trainz.Whoever takes the photos hangs back too far. Just move the tripod 3' closer......bet some stuff just might sell better, :lol: Then again, some might not sell at all if you get a good look.

What they really need first is better lighting. I once won four items in their ebay auctions and made arrangements to pick them up in person. I got a quick tour of the place and when I was shown the photo area I mentioned to the "photographer" that "you should move in closer to your subject and get much better lighting". The "photographer" looked at me as if I did not know anything; I guess that the approximately twenty or so year old thought that he knew all there is to know about his job. If the same person is doing the photos, he has moved in just a little; now, turn on the lights! BTW, my visit was about four yeas ago, just after I moved here.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 22, 2020 6:17 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I can see them fine as well - they're still crappy photos, but that's normal from Trainz.Whoever takes the photos hangs back too far. Just move the tripod 3' closer......bet some stuff just might sell better, :lol: Then again, some might not sell at all if you get a good look.

What they really need first is better lighting. I once won four items in their ebay auctions and made arrangements to pick them up in person. I got a quick tour of the place and when I was shown the photo area I mentioned to the "photographer" that "you should move in closer to your subject and get much better lighting". The "photographer" looked at me as if I did not know anything; I guess that the approximately twenty or so year old thought that he knew all there is to know about his job. If the same person is doing the photos, he has moved in just a little; now, turn on the lights! BTW, my visit was about four yeas ago, just after I moved here.

Clearly you need to go back and teach more effectively; perhaps a pointed stick would help...

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat May 23, 2020 1:58 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I can see them fine as well - they're still crappy photos, but that's normal from Trainz.

Their photos are semi-automated. They showed the process during the tour I took -- the photographer puts the engine/car on the center of a turntable and hits a button. The turntable starts rotating and the camera automatically fires when the turntable turns so many degrees. When the turntable is done rotating, the photographer flips the car/locomotive on its side and takes a picture of the top, then flips it on its other side and takes a picture of its bottom.

You can see the curve of the turntable in their photos.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 pm

Chris Webster wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I can see them fine as well - they're still crappy photos, but that's normal from Trainz.

Their photos are semi-automated. The photographer puts the engine/car on the center of a turntable and hits a button. The turntable starts rotating and the camera automatically fires when the turntable turns so many degrees. When the turntable is done rotating, the photographer flips the car/locomotive on its side and takes a picture of the top, then flips it on its other side and takes a picture of its bottom.

You can see the curve of the turntable in their photos.

Ok, they're still crappy photos. To far away and not lit well.

EdJakl

Postby EdJakl » Tue May 26, 2020 1:07 pm

Seems my Katy picture disappeared during the server upgrade so I'm adding it back along with a couple "cow and calfs": Belt and Belt Railway of Chicago which was owned by the late Lou Cross and an Indiana Harbor Belt.
Attachments
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG (3.11 MiB) Viewed 4168 times
IMG_2438.JPG
IMG_2438.JPG (3.3 MiB) Viewed 4168 times
MKTNW2.JPG
MKTNW2.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 4168 times

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm

Nice collection of switchers posted .
Here is a comparison photo of the die-cast GMC ...next to the bronze Adams / Bob Smith (CLW)
0521200015_HDR~2.jpg
0521200015_HDR~2.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4147 times
0521200016_HDR~2.jpg
0521200016_HDR~2.jpg (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4147 times

Cheers Carey

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”