Projects: Skytop, Lionel sideframes, possible 2-8-8-2

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Projects: Skytop, Lionel sideframes, possible 2-8-8-2

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:07 pm

2railjon wrote: Are copious amounts of alcohol involved?

always.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks. Looking forward to the Skytop. May have to borrow one of your models for a while.

The Lionel GG1 is a top of the line full scale model. I originally proposed using the Wolfer side frames, and that may be a partial solution. Brass is strong enough; the sideframes themselves just hang there. I actually think thin brass is stronger than thin zamac.

I am getting a good part in the mail next week - first will be a comparion to the Wolfer/Duddy castings, which I have here. I am currently thinking that we should make four castings and solder/pin them together. But shrinkage is right up there in my areas of concern.

I have plenty of good GG1s, all bronze or aluminum. I just think it is an intriguing problem. Sure, Lionel should step up. Who is going to make them? It costs $500 just to file in federal court, and with that kind of money we can have a solution tomorrow.

I am going to cheap out - I have a hundred bucks set aside to make the first set, and after that the foundry can call the shots.

Roy

Postby Roy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:03 pm

bob turner wrote:Brass is strong enough; the sideframes themselves just hang there. I actually think thin brass is stronger than thin zamac.

If you were speaking of rolled sheet, or forgings or coinings, I might agree. But, a brass investment casting will be dead soft.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Bob,

I replied to your email with my thoughts.

Jay

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 pm

This has been an informative and interesting discussion.
We need more like this on MTJ.
Thanks to all.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Really?

We just scratched the surface on two of these.

One interesting part - I was gently reminded that it is not fair to copy castings made with dies someone else paid for, even if that someone is Lionel.

I have done some casting - I have three MTH PAs in brass/nickel silver, one Atlas Erie-built, and two E7 sides from Sunset currently at the aluminum foundry. All are with the approval of the supplier.

So I contacted Lionel - "Hey guys - here is the problem. Maybe I can help you fix it? If not, can I have permission to pull molds off your defective part?" - so far, no answer.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:15 pm

bob turner wrote:One interesting part - I was gently reminded that it is not fair to copy castings made with dies someone else paid for, even if that someone is Lionel.

When you use the word "fair" do you mean legal?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Agree with Roger, most interesting thread and after reading it dawned on me with a sinking feeling that I'm indeed a proud owner of a beautiful two rail scale Lionel GG1, which is currently in the queue awaiting getting its now discontinued factory command control removed since I likely will neither find nor acquire that specific system controller and PS in working condition solely for one motor.
Sooooo, anyone know what the extent of the zinc pest is there? is there a "window" of bad production or do they eventually all go to hell? etc.
My luck. It's such a gorgeous model, incorporating that late fiftes modification for the centrifugal separator air intakes on the upper car-body ends. The only version I've seen with this (save maybe for one of the Kohs runs or some such which I'll never see or own.)
Oh well.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Roy

Postby Roy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:35 pm

bob turner wrote:...I was gently reminded that it is not fair to copy castings made with dies someone else paid for...

It's also not fair for a manufacturer to sell castings afflicted with zinc pest. How would you feel, if your child's cherished Hot Wheels car disintegrated from zinc pest? It's not fair to rapaciously profit from the work of others, but you're not coming anywhere close to doing that. You're only trying to help fellow train lovers who have been, so far, ripped off by Lionel.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 pm

I didn't. Dean Brasseur responded, and it appears I have clearance from Lionel.

I also have the Lionel part in hand. It is gorgeous. More later.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:06 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Roy

Postby Roy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:32 pm

Bob, how are those JLC GG-1 sideframes coming along?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:52 am

Came to a halt, I think. That doesn't mean I can't start it up again if a bowed part shows up, but remember, I have plenty of GG1s, and three sets of Wolfer trucks, which are way better than Lionel. This really isn't of any real benefit to me other than the satisfaction of solving a problem.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:20 pm

I was just looking for my SP Steam threads and came across this.

Henning took over the GG1 truck project and is producing urethane parts. Bob Stevenson was looking at ways to solve the problem in lifetime brass, but we cancelled the project when Henning took it up.

Reason for looking for the SP Steam thread is my recent R-90-1 tender project. It is for a 2-6-0, but it will fit my 2-8-8-2 project, and as you can see, photos of that have been purged. I will get some new photos in the next week or so.

Arnold Menke has helped me in the past. I sent him a photo of one of my completed tenders, and I think he was so turned off he just referred me to the drawing I was using in Church's book. Arnold is a good resource, even though he is not wild about dealing with those of us with inferior knowledge bases and/or inferior modeling skills. I owe him for helping with the cab forward tender tops.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”