There goes the neighborhood...

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

There goes the neighborhood...

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 pm

De Bruin

Re: There goes the neighborhood...

Postby De Bruin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 pm

yeah though a crack neighborhood not too long ago.
We saw this coming, weren't looking forward to it, parking around there is hard enough as it is, especially on weekends. On the other hand looks like we'll get more visitors even if most of them are out of towners. Then there's an inevitable increase in city taxes as the surrounding land value climbs, something we're thinking will likely happen anyway, especially if the transit authority get's its light-rail extension out to Emory University built.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:51 pm

We have a "not perfect" plan, but better than most: the city takes an interest, and allows model clubs to exist in park-like settings. I get kind of confused at times, but I am a life member of something called the San Diego Model Rail Road Museum. So is my spouse, although her interest in trains is somewhat peripheral. I did that when I was flying - thinking I was a rich airline captain. The O Scale part is a club, and my contribution to that was mostly mechanical help.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm

bob turner wrote:We have a "not perfect" plan, but better than most: the city takes an interest, and allows model clubs to exist in park-like settings. I get kind of confused at times, but I am a life member of something called the San Diego Model Rail Road Museum. So is my spouse, although her interest in trains is somewhat peripheral. I did that when I was flying - thinking I was a rich airline captain. The O Scale part is a club, and my contribution to that was mostly mechanical help.

Over at Balboa Park: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/balbo ... KFEALw_wcB
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:26 pm

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 pm

Chris Webster wrote:An article on the Railroad Model Club of Atlanta's newest neighbor:
Atlanta Business Chronicle: FlatironCity developer plans $70 million mixed-use project near Edgewood Avenue (Renderings)

Can not read without going through a paywall.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 pm

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

If only that new restaurant was there this Saturday, haha. Sounds titillating.

I hope I am still invited to your Saturday session at the club. I was planning to stop by your club starting around 10/10:30 for a little bit with my old old college buddy who now works at GaTech since he is my ride.

I was also gonna bring a GoPro on a flatcar, if you all want a video of the layout from the train. Can't remember if you all have done that before or not. Will be interesting to see if TSA wants to inspect the flatcar. I was told the layout clearances may be too narrow for it. It's 2.65" wide, centered on the flatcar. It'll be up to your all's direction. Don't worry, its 2R.

IMG-7384.JPG
GoPro Flatcar
IMG-7384.JPG (111.98 KiB) Viewed 9994 times

I'm also planning on going directly to the southeastern railway museum in Duluth as soon as I arrive down there on Thursday. Going to bring a measuring tape and a notebook with me and probably spend much of the day there filling up my iphone's memory. It's a Southern Railway mecca.

If I get extra time on Friday, maybe I'll walk over to the area that still exists that goes over the tracks roughly south of where the old Atlanta Terminal used to be in pre1972.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:21 pm

DaveJfr0 wrote: It'll be up to your all's direction. Don't worry, its 2R.

Dat's "You All's" danged Yankee anyhow! LOL :mrgreen:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 pm

The three levels.
You
y'all
all y'all.

Make a note. There will be a test.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 am

Looking forward to seeing you there Dave. We can check the clearances before running, I recall we have a loading gauge template though don't remember where I last saw it. The last loading gauge boo-boo we experienced was last year , when one of those (MTH?) double stack articulated well flat sets. The top container bit the tunnel entrance coming out of our main terminal, a mistake in judgment on the part of the operator to run before checking. Regular TOFC flat and trailer runs just fine though.

The pizza joint across the street makes tasty pies, has a variety of salads and cold adult beverages and is reasonably priced, if you're so inclined, however there are a lot of other restaurants downtown and north towards Piedmont Park.

Pete

Oh, and to be clear, SC Dave missed an important fourth derivation.....
"Ye-all"
as in "Ye-all-full-uh-shay-it"
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:48 pm

All,

You must visit this club. It was an amazing time and very great hosts. Everyone was super friendly.

Pete,

Just wanted to let you know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Between additional travel and changing jobs, I've just not had any time to look through what I took at the club. Soon, maybe tonight, maybe next week.

Feel free to pm me your email address or I can work through David Payne to keep that off the internet.

Also, does Terry Weldon do the internet at all? He mailed me a CD of Bob Jakl's layout, and I wanted to share some other YT videos and such I found online of the Jakl empire, but I am guessing snail mail may be the only way to communicate back with him.

LMK.

David
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:30 pm

From the Atlanta Fire Department's Twitter Account:
Atlanta Fire units are on scene at 483 Edgewood Ave (Edgewood Diner and the former Soundtable Bar) accessing the building for stability after a large crack appeared this afternoon. Structure has been evacuated at this time. #AFRD

The club is at 487 Edgewood; you can see its entrance door behind the police tape in the first photo (the picture that also has the "No Crusing Zone" sign in it.)

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks Chris, we would’ve found out about this Saturday when we (hopefully now) run our monthly full schedule (all-hands) operation. The pandemic shelved the mixed use hotel-retail build in the lot behind our block row after they clear cut it but we had no idea that they were going to tear up the lot in front of the western-most building. George now tells me it’s an on-going build-on to the Sound Table space, hopefully they’ll stay closed on Mondays.
Yuck.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:25 pm

De Bruin wrote:The pandemic shelved the mixed use hotel-retail build in the lot behind our block row after they clear cut it but we had no idea that they were going to tear up the lot in front of the western-most building. George now tells me it’s an on-going build-on to the Sound Table space, hopefully they’ll stay closed on Mondays.

Ok, that makes more sense -- I assumed it was construction for the hotel/retail development and so I was puzzled why they were working under the utility boxes on the side of the building. Now I'm wondering if excavating right to the edge of the brick foundation was their way of getting around city's historic preservation requirements?

Channel-2 covered the story: Old Fourth Ward building on verge of collapse after huge cracks appear

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”