O3R History (Bay Ridge Club)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Carey Williams

Re: For Carey Williams - O3R History (Bay Ridge Club)

Postby Carey Williams » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Great to hear the layout will be saved ... and moved to a new home ... the club says outside 3rd rail and all the mechanical/ early electric signalling will maintained and used at the new location ...... wish them much luck in the move and to attract new blood into the club to keep it rolling for many decades to come.

DaveJfr0

Re: O3R History (Bay Ridge Club)

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:31 pm

I took a portion of the photos I took and wrote up a blog post. I was originally trying to get the club published in OST and do all of the leg work for the club, but sometimes things just don't work out. No worries. My blog needs more content anyway, and it ain't getting much from my lack of modeling in my city apartment, lol.

https://davejfr0.blogspot.com/2019/12/b ... -2018.html

Enjoy.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Dave,
Thank you for posting your Blog here. The history and photos are great.
I am a 3 railer but it is that one on the inside. I remember seeing outside 3R layouts 70 years ago that were so well made I didn't notice
the third rail for some time.

Why was the switch to DC from AC made? I understand most of the wiring differences. ( I did do HO for a while, 1950-1952. )
Did it have to do with motors?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Fascinating article Dave,
The Bay State Club's trackage might be the most interesting aspect for me albeit I love heavy traction and third rail is such a natural
for modeling it. I would go nuts though having to run unfinished brass etc. but all the old school O scale locomotives/motors they have there are fascinating to me; the IMP pile, all the traction and the Adams E units on and on.
Thanks for posting, really have enjoyed your blog over the years.

Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Hal Carstens wrote about the club in an article titled "Dem Bums" in Brooklyn for the April 1949 issue of Model Railroad Craftsman.

You can see two pages of that article in a photo attached to this listing: Ebay #233171896761

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Thanks for the tip, Chris -- With the zoom feature on eBay I was able to read the article -- what there was shown!

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:37 pm

If you'd like to read the entire story there's another copy of the issue for $8.69 including shipping.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”