3rd Rail E7???

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Seaboard Air Line Fan

Re: 3rd Rail E7???

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm

bob turner wrote:sideframes that stick out too far.

I measured my Atlas and Lionel GP9s to see what the difference was.

The Atlas measured 2.21" over the bearing caps, the Lionel measured 2.26", .050" difference. That doesn't sound like much but looking at it, it appears to be much more.

I wish they could be perfect for every model for every RR that owned them, but they can't. I guess it's up to us to dig out the tools and modify to get what we want. It's funny that I don't mind cutting into a $600 engine, but I don't buy them to resell, I buy them to enjoy :D

I may take the fuel tank off the E7 to see if that's where the noise is coming from, maybe the drive shafts are rubbing.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm really not sure why I'm bothering with answering this. It's been discussed numerous times. Yes, the side frames could be brought in and that's the desired way to go. The way these models are constructed it's not easy to do. As a matter of fact, it's very difficult. Consider these parts entry level for someone wanting to get into P:48 and not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars while trying it out. If they want to go further.....great. If they want to go back to Ow5 they can without much effort. They can also convert them back for resale (if the buyer wants them that way). The bottom line they can convert a model to P:48 for far less than $100 and convert it back as they see fit.

Again, all of this was talked about and explained ad nauseum.

Jay

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:Again, all of this was talked about and explained ad nauseum.Jay

And probably will be again, and again, and again.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:
Jay Criswell wrote:Again, all of this was talked about and explained ad nauseum.Jay

And probably will be again, and again, and again.

Yep, some of us forget, some of us will be newbies, some just want to rehash events. If we didn't we'd soon run out of things to talk about if we had all the answers.

Reminds me of a list of excuses I saw for a "yardbird" (civil servant) not doing his/her job.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:25 am

Yes and on the other forum. they have hashed it for 4 trillion times, on how to mount Kadee

couples the best way to an MTF box car. After 200 reply the moderator locks thread.

Bill

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”