OST Magazine Was For Sale and Sold to WRP

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DaveJfr0

OST Magazine Was For Sale and Sold to WRP

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 pm

Edited this post.

Note that OST was been bought by White River Productions!

https://shop.whiteriverproductions.com/ ... 3819466768
Last edited by DaveJfr0 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

up148

Re: OST Magazine For Sale

Postby up148 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am

Very sad, as it became the "go to" magazine in the 2000's for O Scale information and had some excellent articles. Joe had a passion for it that is hard to match. But, as the owner/editors get older and other interests enter there lives, I can see where it would become less enjoyable or even impossible to pursue. Pretty hard to compete with "free" digital magazines too. Let's hope Dan and Amy can continue on with OSR for many, many years.

BH

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 am

It's very sad news for any 2 Rail enthusiasts especially, and anyone who enjoyed holding a magazine in their hands and reading about the hobby. I think it could be a worthwhile pursuit for an interested publisher. I have no idea who that might be.

Brian and Marty were a capable pairing for sure...but it is hard to keep marching forward once the leader decides to stop.

Fingers crossed for a resurrection of a new OST.

Robert

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:18 pm

A group want to go in on it? I’d be game to help and help produce it.

I hope it can keep going. Yes Rufus and gang has done a great job keeping it rolling since Joe passed away.

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm

This is sad news.

I don't have the clout to take on the business of running a magazine.

If the concern were one of just designing, laying out the magazine and preparing it for the printer I'd be willing to look into getting involved.
I do this for 2 magazines per month now and have done so for the past 20 years, so I know what is required in this regard.

I am not actively looking for more work and I am very busy with what I have now. If someone like Erik who has an eye for art and design could get involved, and who I think knows about printing, that would be great.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Other than OST, the only other mag I get is the quarterly mag LINES SOUTH from the ACL/SAL Historical Society. If true, now I'm down to one :(

It's getting difficult to find things that interest me, don't care for the "Let's form a band/give a show" mentality of the 3-rail stuff or the nostalgic "My toy is older than your toy" 2-rail stuff. Especially since I've converted to BPRC (and that circle is VERY small).

I guess I can consider the online forums as the next best choice, but again I only read what interests ME (and try not to comment negatively on things that don't).

Anyway, thanks to Martin, Gene, and all the rest that have contributed to OST, truly a worthy cause :D
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

PRR Man

Postby PRR Man » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 pm

to Erik's query about gathering a group to continue publishing OST.

on Joe's passing I had been asked about getting involved with the magazine. I ran a 60+ year old publishing company that produced a newspaper every week, knew the people involved and am an ardent O scaler. fortunately OST was in a position to continue on it's own. The trick is, as it was for my business, is to gather enough revenue to be able to afford the printing and distribution cost, and still have a bit left over for the tax man, payroll and a meal. not unlike many businesses.

with this news, the idea crossed my mind whether to reach out. I just sold my business. (we just could not afford to continue supporting the sheer volume of copies delivered every week). After 35 years in the business, I surely have the acumen to operate such an endeavor, the salesman's gift to attract valued advertisers, and the eye to produce a great looking piece. but sorry, I've been down that road already.

however, anyone giving thought to taking this on had better realize fast that you better be part of an outfit with the resources to support an enterprise that may break even if lucky, or operate in the red, for some time. and bust your butt doing it.

some have suggested a larger hobby related publisher take over the title and market segment. this is where the best chance for continuation lies. the enterprise that purchased our publication was such an outfit, with resources to weather the ebb and flow of revenue. the same model applies in this case. or at the very least, someone(s) who doesn't mind spending money.
I am John Galt.
Chris

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Someone suggested White River Publications on another forum and they seem like a good fit, especially since the owner is the son of Jim Eudaly and has lots of O scale experience growing up with and working on Jim's layout. Being the publisher of numerous other train magazines, he already has the overhead and staff, so doing another magazine should cost him less than a start up.

BH

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

A small dose of levity towards a serious subject.
Could we increase readership with a fold out centerfold in Rufus's favorite vinyl clad vixen of the month? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 pm

OGR has the circulation. The new editor is once again suggesting that they are open to 2-rail content. From a standpoint of reaching more folks, this would be the best option. Unfortunately, I am not sure they understand 2-railers and what we like. They may turn their noses up at, say, doorstop articles. But we could try.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

bob turner wrote:OGR has the circulation. The new editor is once again suggesting that they are open to 2-rail content.

My past interaction with him indicates the converse and that articles such as those in OST would be "too complicated" (his words...) for their readership. He has a rather low opinion of his own subscribers; sad commentary on both OGR and its editor.

Unfortunately, I am not sure they understand 2-railers and what we like. They may turn their noses up at, say, doorstop articles. But we could try.

If it's not RTR box collecting, it's not for OGR.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

That's pretty much what the non 2 rail OGR readership is about. I read their stuff on the chance someone will actually deliver something seriously interesting....that is a rare occurrence unfortunately. Sure OGR would like to pickup a free lunch here, but I seriously doubt they are about to give us what OST provided. We all have opinions...I'm much more interested in OST reestablishing itself with a dedicated 2rail publisher if that is possible.

Robert

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 am

TG for OSR. I only hope Dan and Amy continue to have good health and want to continue with their fine e-zine.

I prefer a hard copy for reference and just like holding something in my hands when I read (my grown kids [avid readers] have gone back to hard copy instead of their kindles and fires), but I understand I'm a minority in my preference and hard copy anything is becoming a dinosaur in today's world. :(

BH

PRR Man

Postby PRR Man » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Butch, you are not in the minority when it comes to wanting to hold a publication rather than view it on a screen.
Industry studies show a reversing trend from just a couple years ago. A greater percentage of people prefer to hold a publication, than those who'd rather look at pixels. Especially when the subject is important to the reader.

it'll take some time for that dynamic to become profitable to publishers again.
I am John Galt.
Chris

G3750

Postby G3750 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:OGR has the circulation. The new editor is once again suggesting that they are open to 2-rail content.

My past interaction with him indicates the converse and that articles such as those in OST would be "too complicated" (his words...) for their readership. He has a rather low opinion of his own subscribers; sad commentary on both OGR and its editor.

Unfortunately, I am not sure they understand 2-railers and what we like. They may turn their noses up at, say, doorstop articles. But we could try.

My past observations don't give me much hope that 2-Rail articles would appear in OGR.

George
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”