Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Old Rivets & The FOM

Postby E7 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Way back in my Hot Car days, I saw a product for balancing Mag or aluminum wheels, as in stick-on wheel weights. I've always thought they might be handy for adding weight to cars and locos. They come in strips and are segmented to break off to get the proper weight to balance the wheel. Considering that they must stay on the wheel at speed, they must obviously hold well.

Not sure how they shake up cost wise compared to other stuff, but seems like they would be quick and easy to use!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=le ... el+weights

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Nicely done exercise in problem analysis and solution Jon.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:34 pm

I've used the stick on weights for years in several scales. They have been known to come loose over time. It happened often enough to me that I started pouring glue or resin over the top of them if they were going inside a boxcar, etc. By the way, way back when I noticed that the glue stayed on the mags long after the weight had left the wheel.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 pm

The stick on weights we have today are really good. Nearly every car made that has aluminum wheels have no provision for a tack on weight on the outside (show side) of the wheel, though they may use tackons on the inside lip of the wheel. I know they're tough 'cause I use a sharp scraper and a hammer to get them off, then I have to remove the old adhesive down to metal just in case that turns out to be the light spot of the wheel and not the tire, and the new weights may need to go there.

What I don't know is if the adhesive will remain stuck indefinitely on wood or plastic in a train car, but it'd be worth a shot. We get them in strips in 1/4 oz., 1/2 oz., and 1 oz. Bend them back and forth a few times and they snap off the strip, peel the paper backing and stick.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”