The PECKING order

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: The PECKING order

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:
Moral of the story is don't send me pass car ends to make copies of for you!

Or don't die before you get a chance to use them :wink:

Maybe you should put in a "PRECAUTION" notice in your mailings :!: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Well, I did get paid and I still have the molds so I'm free & clear on that project......

But, they sold on eBay for about double what I charged for them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 pm

sarge wrote:I guess today is my day to take the opposing viewpoint in many discussions, so why not.

I'm odd man out again, but I love proto-modelling. I build just about everything from photos of a particular prototype at a particular time. Love doing it. In 7mm, locos, coaching stock, wagons, the research is as much fun as the building. In US O, I've been having a ball doing the same, though this time of the railroads I remember from youth and early working life. Far from being a pain, I find it worthwhile.

One thing that is a cardinal rule for me, though. I only count my own rivets.

But, count them I do! :D

Sarge,

I seriously doubt ANYONE here questions ANYBODY'S right to do whatever. I think (because I can't speak for the other guys) that we were detailing our own personal preferences, and most certainly not casting any aspersions on anyone else, or what they do. You're NOT the odd man out, you're just someone doing things differently. Time to get over it.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:23 pm

I don't know, he seems pretty sketchy to me! :P

Jay

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 pm

That’s great to know, Sarge! I’ll hit you up on your offer in about 6 months when I have my ducks in a row if your friend still has them! Nothing will look right behind the Dreyfuss until it’s pulling those cars! But for now the MTH set will fill the void.

My hats off to the kit builders who have the patience and attention to detail to bring these cars alive from the ground up with correct window placement and interiors! Not slighting anyone’s work at all, it’s above my amateur modelers pay grade!
Running that red block Charlie.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Prewar vestibule doors followed by Post War. Prewar is a stamping done with dies. Postwar is a lost wax casting.

2018-01-28 015.JPG
2018-01-28 015.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 3683 times

Jay
Attachments
2018-01-28 014.JPG
2018-01-28 014.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 3683 times

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:41 pm

The MTH cars are horrible at best, but at least the Dreyfuss isn’t pulling a freight train! :mrgreen:

I have a set of GGD 1938 cars but I honestly can’t find them. :? :lol:
Last edited by 2railjon on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh, and this post brings back fond memories of when the “other” forum went into an absolute tail spin when Lionel introduced their N&W passenger cars where the plastic windows protruded from the car shell! :lol: Good Times!! :mrgreen:

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:48 pm

E7 wrote:Time to get over it.

No "it" to get over.

You are the one generalising that most here don't care beyond "good enough". I stated I do, followed by a caveat that says I don't judge others who don't. Simples.

Too testy and too testy a subject for my liking, so off I go.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Then there was the (probably late) Wally Swanson....used to run on the 0 modular group...the great "Undec Railroad"...put up a string of 20+ tank cars.....wood dowels...I think wood frames...no handrails, no grabs, no steps, no brakewheels, painted but no lettering...whatever floats yer submarine....
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm

I do that! No steps, but yes handrails and ladders. Handrail posts are very small aviation cotter pins. I even did a magazine article. I better get a photo . . .

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Boy, the rivet work is really nice on those car ends, Jay!

BH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Those doors impress me. If I were on top of the pecking order I would put those on all my passenger cars, right after Santiago does all my interiors. And speaking of pecking order, my current Berkshire production is getting ready for an "almost finished" set of shots. Not only are there pipes that end nowhere, but also one of the Berks is a "make believe!"

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 pm

aterry11 wrote:I have also adopted the Dan Pantera model of if you cant readily see it why bother. Speeds up builds.

Interesting statement coming from a guy who takes what is arguably one of the finest detailed and correctly built model passengers cars ever to hit O scale (Wasatch) and then adds exquisite interiors, trims the windows in silver, adds car numbers and other details not offered on factory painted models. I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but have spoken by phone and had him super detail some Wasatch cars for me once upon a time. He seemed very detail conscience at the time.

BH

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Butch,

Yeah, I didn't quite get that one either but decided to just shrug> :D :D

Jay

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Doesn't matter what you build or model. The only one you need to please is you! I know I can get downright anal about the way I rebuild a car or truck engine at my job; and I'm really anal about my woodworking at home. I can't fault Sarge for his adherence and fidelity to a prototype. That's his thing; that's who he is. He likes it, and that's all that counts. He ain't pushin' it on everyone else. :wink:
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”