The PECKING order

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: The PECKING order

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi Mitch. I missed you. As a card-carrying liberal, I can assure you my reality has dramatically changed. As a guy who does not go to the nth with detail, I appreciate those who do.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Mitch wrote:Doesn't matter what you build or model. The only one you need to please is you! I know I can get downright anal about the way I rebuild a car or truck engine at my job; and I'm really anal about my woodworking at home. I can't fault Sarge for his adherence and fidelity to a prototype. That's his thing; that's who he is. He likes it, and that's all that counts. He ain't pushin' it on everyone else. :wink:

I agree, and I don't think ANYONE else here, including myself said other wise, even though it may have been perceived that way. I've always thought his (Sarge) stuff, be it American or British was/is first rate, as in VERY WELL DONE and still do.

As for being accurate to the prototype, I may question WHY some folks do this or that, but I do not, under any circumstances question their right to model things in ANY manner they prefer!

Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Me too, with both of those. I do openly question strange things like absolutely perfect layouts with wide sweeping curves and passenger cars with correct windows, interior, and underbody rolling on 3-rail track, but only as an incongruity. They are just as free to enjoy their end of the hobby as I am, with my sand-cast Diesels on scale track.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

bob turner wrote:Me too, with both of those. I do openly question strange things like absolutely perfect layouts with wide sweeping curves and passenger cars with correct windows, interior, and underbody rolling on 3-rail track, but only as an incongruity. They are just as free to enjoy their end of the hobby as I am, with my sand-cast Diesels on scale track.

If you look back to my initial post, it says : "What we like is what we like" meaning I have no issue with what others like, even though I might not understand why, or even think it's silly. Bottom line: Their dollar, their preference.

The purpose of the thread (which went terribly astray, and that was undoubtedly my fault) was to establish what element of this hobby was at the apex of your "gotte be prototypically correct list", if in fact you care how correct to real life things are.

By element I mean:

Locomotives, Freight cars, Passenger cars, Buildings, Track, etc. etc.

My personal priority is that my Locos be accurate with all else secondary. Number two would be cabooses, or tail end cars like observations, business cars, solariums

Is all my junk perfect? Not by a long shot, but I know what I like.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm

E7 wrote:The purpose of the thread was to establish what element of this hobby was at the apex of your "gotte be prototypically correct list": Locomotives, Freight cars, Passenger cars, Buildings, Track, etc. etc.

OK, here is my list:

1) The model has to have enough fidelity to the proportions of the prototype to not set off the abomination alarm on first glance. Models that past this test almost always look perfectly good going by at speed, which is how I prefer to view them.

2) Trains should have a certain consistency front to back. Specifically:
a) A caboose should match the locomotive in road name and era
b) Passenger cars should match the locomotive in road name and era
c) A freight consist should match the locomotive and caboose in era and region

3) No fantasy schemes, especially on locomotives

4) Colors should be close, especially when the color is well known (like GN's Empire Builder colors).

I like getting other details right, like having the correct trucks to match the prototype, and do so as long as it does not involve the Bataan Death March.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Here's my take on having things correct:

I'd rather the manufacturer leave detail off, than put it on in the wrong place. I can add on a detail, but it's sometimes impossible to correct detail that is wrong.

And I understand why manufacturers offer items that are incorrect for certain RRs, they have to make/sell a certain number of them to make a profit. What I don't understand is when they offer items that start out being touted as made for a certain RR and get them wrong, especially after asking/receiving input from a variety of sources.

Sometimes I wish I had decided to model a fantasy RR, instead of wanting my models to represent the Seaboard Air Line. I've had to hack, modify, and cobble probably 90% of the models I have to get them close to what the SAL owned.
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:53 pm

E7 wrote:.................. and that was undoubtedly my fault)

Yes - all your fault! We've got our eye on you now!

My personal priority is that my Locos be accurate with all else secondary. Number two would be cabooses, or tail end cars like observations, business cars, solarium.

I don't believe that I "prioritize", but just try to achieve my personal level of acceptable in all things - just getting to that stage of adequate works for me.

Back to work!

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
I don't believe that I "prioritize", but just try to achieve my personal level of acceptable in all things - just getting to that stage of adequate works for me.Back to work!

That approach works for me as well.

Robert

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:04 pm

Maroon will probably not forgive my blue paint on the MoPac and IGN models. And my SP Berk is pure fantasy, as is my Log Mallet and SP 2-10-0.

Some of these doorstops are a lot closer to fantasy than we would like to admit.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:31 pm

All excellent responses, and Rufus, I will try and repent in the future........maybe! :mrgreen: :lol:

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:04 am

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:And I understand why manufacturers offer items that are incorrect for certain RRs, they have to make/sell a certain number of them to make a profit. What I don't understand is when they offer items that start out being touted as made for a certain RR and get them wrong, especially after asking/receiving input from a variety of sources.

When I think about this kind of stuff, I always recall the late Henry Bultmannn who was a one man show, but always managed to do a pretty darn good job getting stuff correct. Considering how MUCH information is out there on the NET, I don't see a lot of excuses for egregious errors. Add to that, the many Historical Societies out there that possess piles of info., and I'm even less forgiving. I completely understand from whence you are coming!

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:Sometimes I wish I had decided to model a fantasy RR, instead of wanting my models to represent the Seaboard Air Line. I've had to hack, modify, and cobble probably 90% of the models I have to get them close to what the SAL owned.

One of the unfortunate factors of liking a road with a smaller following. I am lucky in that I have long followed the PRR and NYC. I also did a serious study of what was "out there" in "O" scale before I went that way. I do not envy your plight. The fantasy thing has never been a consideration for me.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:36 am

I ran into the same problem ( no SAL stuff) when I was in HO, as soon as I got out of it Seaboard items erupted from everywhere...maybe I need to quit O and see what happens :lol:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”