Whats it?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
aterry11

Whats it?

Postby aterry11 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Somebody here will know.
It's too early for Russ Briggs. It's going to be one of the 4 coaches NP bought from the CNW for use on the North Coast Limited.
I believe it was an ACF built car. My soldering sucks, on one interior side wall is a badge with the initials D B dated 8, 86.
Any Ideas?
Attachments
db 86 whats it 006.JPG
db 86 whats it 006.JPG (388.27 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
db 86 whats it 003.JPG
db 86 whats it 003.JPG (436.1 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

Jay Criswell

Re: Whats it?

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Dick Bregler

Jay

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 am

Looks like a Kemtron coach to me UP vintage.

Bill Basden Delta Models www.deltamodelsusa.com

aterry11 wrote:Somebody here will know.
It's too early for Russ Briggs. It's going to be one of the 4 coaches NP bought from the CNW for use on the North Coast Limited.
I believe it was an ACF built car. My soldering sucks, on one interior side wall is a badge with the initials D B dated 8, 86.
Any Ideas?

sarge

Postby sarge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:02 am

Memory test, but I have to go with Dick Bregler as well if it says DB inside.

What hasy memory brings to the table would be Briggs etches not being "too early" in 86. I can ask him if you'd like.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

sarge

Postby sarge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:23 am

Didn't take long.

In '80, Railtex held the parts and patterns of the Kemtron cars, Russ did from the mid-late 80s, then to Des Plaines.

Dick used to crank these out in batches and trains along with his own stuff in that era so, while of Kemtron heritage, I would guess he bought in quantity from Railtex or Russ if dated mid-80s. I never knew him to be one to buy in ones and twos then leave them sit. This last bit is unsubstantiated guessing, of course, but under the Kemtron, Railtex, or Briggs name is indeed possible in '86.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am

Nice coach car body Terry, UP for sure though as has had been pointed out. Have you considered an Eddy Weichman kit for your ex-C&NW coach? His kits have the correct PS window plans for the single level 1940 400 cars. We've recently picked up some of them and they're very similar to garden variety BC-Models or Walthers composite kits. I think the coach in particular would be an exact match for the cars the NP, CB&Q and SP bought from C&NW once you remove the as-delivered skirt. I can post a photo of the kit sides if your curious.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4419768
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Thanks for all the info fellas.
About five years ago I became aware of the CNW guy through this forum and the march meet. I was interested in the blunt end for the 49 Broadway I was pursuing at the time, but it was almost impossible to contact him. I purchased a set from Scott Mann and then scored brass sides from Lou Cross finished that one and sold the GGD cars. I did score the trucks, twin diner unit diaphragms, and the plastic underbodies from Scott.
Does any body have contact info For this gentleman? I have 3 American standard core kits just waiting for sides and Union station has the proper duplex sleeper sides and the coach would put me closer to the end of the North Coast build. I believe Marty at Scale city still sells the Boat tail observation roof and I see Union Station now sells the Observation sides as well.

Now what to do with this UP car anybody got need? Will Trade.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:44 pm

It is my impression (someone please set me straight here if you know otherwise) that Mr. Wichman stopped advertising some time ago, at least the last adverts I recall seeing were in OSN 1to the 48 and I don't recall seeing them in OGR or OST though again I may be wrong there.
In addition I don't know if he's ever posted an htp or email address either.
He was at the Chicago March meet in 2016 with a table of full of kits, so perhaps the Des Planes folks or meet organizers would have fresh contact info for him. Sorry but the most recent ad I have for him from OSN is twenty years old.
Eddy Wichman
"401" models
128 S. 2nd St
Delavan, WI 53115
LSSAE for list
I should mention that unlike BC-M or Walthers, his kits have ICC style injection molded plastic roofs.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:10 pm

Terry,

Just for my own knowledge, are you looking for cars for the NP North Coast Limited? Prior to his passing Lou & I were building 9 trains (13 cars each, I think). One set for me, one for Lou, one for David Nadeau (both Lou & David have passed away) and 6 trains for Dan Pantera.

Many of the cars have been built and all of the sides punched out.

Jay

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Mr. Jay,
I am always interested in the North Coast cars still need to get rid of the weaver stand ins and find the oddball duplex sleepers.
What you got? could swap some brass if interested?

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Russ Briggs offered some very nicely built-up car bodies with brass floors in the 90's. Superior to any of the Kemtron cars I owned or saw available and I had quite a few at one time. Briggs bodies were a really Pro assembling job, with no solder joints showing and the roofs looked great, which can always be a problem with these cars. They still needed underbody details, trucks, interior and glazing, but they were a magnificent start if you wanted to go that way. I think I sold mine for $200 or $250 each back in the day.

BH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”