Aluminium engines of Ohio Acme, Mi-Loco, & Blum

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Carey Williams

Aluminium engines of Ohio Acme, Mi-Loco, & Blum

Postby Carey Williams » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Hello all you door stop collectors and purveyors of bricks ( lighter bricks ..this time)

Ohio seems to have been a magnate of aluminum early O scale engine manufactures . (Yes I know a magnate does attract aluminum)

Acme Model Locomotives of Hamden , Ohio was advertising June 1932 in Model Maker ... , articles appeared about their Hudson and P5 electric . 1933 a Acme catalog ( courtesy of the TCA library) was issued listing :Hudson, Mikado, Pacific , P5 , passenger and freight cars ...all of aluminum castings , all 1/4" scale . Acme sold the raw castings and suggested you contact Icken about a motor . Acme listed in catalog a ready to run version of the P5 ....$75.00 ( any takers?)

MM June 1932.jpg
MM June 1932.jpg (891.82 KiB) Viewed 5282 times

Catalog TCA better.jpg
Catalog TCA better.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 5282 times

catalog pages better.jpg
catalog pages better.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 5282 times

Lee B Green of Cleveland , Ohio was at the Chicago World's Fair running his Aluminum cast K4 and Hudson with passenger and freight cars. October 1934 is the first ad (I've found so far) for Miloco with a plea to send for a catalog . Only Miloco catalog ( so far) is dated 1935 promoting a Hudson, K4 ( both in O and 1 gauges) , passenger and 3 freight cars ..... Lee B Green was a big promoter of O gauge true scale 17/64ths and he was happy to mention it in all his ads.
colored ad.jpg
colored ad.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5282 times

Leonard Blum , attorney , hobby shop owner, and big collector/ dealer of O scale, in 1949 advertises ( MR January ) a Pennsylvania M1-A with cast aluminum boiler and tender.

IMG_6791.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG (2.9 MiB) Viewed 5282 times

Miloco is a bit thin on the ground these days .... but seek and you'll find ..... can the same be said about Acme and Blum's engine ? ....does anyone have any examples of Acme or the Blum engine to share a photo or two ?

Thank you
Cheers Carey

bob turner

Re: Aluminium engines of Ohio Acme, Mi-Loco, & Blum

Postby bob turner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 pm

I have seen two Blum M1a models. Never heard of Acme.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:24 pm

All I ever got from Acme was an anvil.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:38 pm

This O-1 was sold on eBay a few years back:

Acme O-1_01.jpg
Acme O-1_01.jpg (155.26 KiB) Viewed 5255 times

It was listed as an Icken but I don't believe it matches the Icken casting. Bob Turner has an Icken and can comment on this. The shell on this model is cast though so it might be an Acme. However, the casting looks like it's brass or bronze to me so maybe not.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:19 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:All I ever got from Acme was an anvil.

What??????!!!!! No instant boulder????? :mrgreen:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 pm

This is what an Icken looks like - French sand casting; almost as good as lost wax:

Icken O1.jpg
Icken O1.jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 5193 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 pm

That is low resolution - I will try to get a better shot next time the sun comes out.

Arthur P. Bloom

Postby Arthur P. Bloom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:57 pm

(Yes I know a magnate does attract aluminum)

No, a magnate DOES NOT attract aluminum.

Neither does a MAGNET attract aluminum.

A MAGNATE, if he is so desirous, and if he wishes to use his wealth therefor, may collect aluminum, or he may collect magnets, or he may collect anvils, either made of aluminum or of other metals. He may be attracted to aluminum, either in its basic or refined state, or he may be attracted to items made of aluminum such as doorstops. He may be attracted to aluminum in blooms, or doorstops made by Blum.
"I'll have the roast duck...with the mango salsa."

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you Jim for posting the ebay electric ..it does look brass under the paint .....

Thank you Bob for posting the nice photo of your Icken ..... looking forward to the day the sun come out myself ...here in Chicago the sun's next appearance is scheduled for May .

Cheers Carey

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Not sure this shows the detail in those Icken sand castings any better - maybe I should dust it with some chalk:

DSC02534.JPG
DSC02534.JPG (892.95 KiB) Viewed 5097 times

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 am

Looks like a few of the windows were never opened up on the Icken casting. Did you open those that are there, Bob, or was that done already when you obtained the model?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:28 pm

I have seen photos of the O1 that look like the middle two openings were windows. But then there are a lot that look like Bob's:

PRR O1a.JPG
PRR O1a.JPG (102.5 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

Maybe it's the difference between the O1 and the O1a. Or maybe it's a modification made at some point in the life of the locomotive. Or...
Slow progress is better than no progress

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:22 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:Maybe it's the difference between the O1 and the O1a.

The difference between the O1 and the a, b, and c was hp in the motors

Or maybe it's a modification made at some point in the life of the locomotive. Or...

I'm going with the latter "Or..."

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Well, after very limited research, I find my model is more or less correct. You cannot see them, but each "filled" window has exquisitely cast vertical slats, in what appears to be an O1a configuration. You can see those slats on #7853 in the Morning Sun book on PRR electrics.

Others appear in various configurations, with and without slats, and some apparently just open. Common photos show white shades. Bet that didn't last long.

We will need a genuine SPF to opine further. I need one more Icken like this, and a P5 to complete my PRR stable. I may at some point add a J1 - in fact I would trade an L1 in really good shape (USH) for a reasonably good J1 needing work.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:12 am

bob turner wrote:Well, after very limited research, I find my model is more or less correct. You cannot see them, but each "filled" window has exquisitely cast vertical slats, in what appears to be an O1a configuration. You can see those slats on #7853 in the Morning Sun book on PRR electrics.

Maybe you could take a better photo or a close up of them -- that they are there is very hard to see, but that would make them correct. I was thinking that maybe the casting just left those vent grills to be added separately.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”