The Big Bambu!

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Wolf

Re: The Big Bambu!

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:24 am

I came across the load for this thing (at Strassburg, I think), and took it home.
But I am still at a loss as to what it really is. For a generator or turbine, that
off-center driveshaft puzzles me. Most of the real-life turbogenerators I have
seen are cylindrical... So, the question is, does anyone have an idea as to
what this gray blob actually is?

Nice car, BTW...but may be limited as to what layouts it can run on! :lol: :lol:
Take care,
Wolfgang

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

Wolf wrote:I came across the load for this thing (at Strassburg, I think), and took it home.
But I am still at a loss as to what it really is. For a generator or turbine, that
off-center driveshaft puzzles me. Most of the real-life turbogenerators I have
seen are cylindrical... So, the question is, does anyone have an idea as to
what this gray blob actually is?

http://www.kohs.com/PRR_Flat_Car_Pages/ ... Intro.html

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 pm

You have seen all my models, but I cannot resist re-posting this one. All brass, with heavy brass bar underframe components and sheet brass top. I had a cache of those neat Kemtron Buckeyes, and not enough small tenders for them.

The attachment 12 axle flat 2.JPG is no longer available
12 axle flat.JPG
12 axle flat.JPG (198.23 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Having a penchant for well type flats, I have accumulated almost too many of the aluminum AN type. Herewith:

8 axle #2.jpg
8 axle #2.jpg (994.07 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

I have since improved the photo backdrop. There is another 8-axle around here somewhere.

All Nation expanded.jpg
All Nation expanded.jpg (605.85 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:20 pm

This one is wood (Walnut). The load is a steam-driven model feedwater pump. It has worked on live steam.
steam pump on flat.jpg
steam pump on flat.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:33 pm

bob turner wrote:Having a penchant for well type flats, I have accumulated almost too many of the aluminum AN type.

Is there such a thing as too many depressed-center flatcars??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the link to the load E7, very interesting!
Take care,
Wolfgang

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Wolf wrote:Is there such a thing as too many depressed-center flatcars???

NO!!

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:15 pm

up148 wrote:Ouch! I'm afraid GK's life might have changed had he done that to me. As stated, I'm not positive how many models didn't get delivered and Bill's comment is the 1st actual name I've heard. I was told in a phone conversation with GK, in November of 2013, my chosen road number didn't make it on the 1st shipment. Lots of reasons and/or justifications why, but, upon furthering questioning I was offer a different road number (in stock) and took it. By this time I was completed spooked by GK :shock: :shock: as his stories and excuses in previous conversations, although plausible, just didn't make sense and I didn't want to be caught holding the proverbial bag. Tainted me completely on this type of ordering. BH

Butch, Can't say that I blame you. It's a major crap shoot, particularly thinking about the time period these projects take and the age of some of the Importers. Different builders do things different ways, and things don't always come out the same from one run to another. Stuff sometimes comes in damaged and models within the same run vary in quality, because of the human factor in hand assembled production. I've always thought "Pecos" John Smith's column "Crapola from The Cupola" column in early issues of O Scale Trains was/is a great tutorial for anyone interested in buying brass. I think those columns give a relatively unbiased view of things from both sides (importer and builder). I think what may ultimately save brass is tech advances like 3D printing. It will be interesting to see how things "shake out". Man, if we could just get a hold of that Star Trek replicator. :mrgreen:

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 am

Car ended up selling for just over 1K.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 am

E7 wrote:I think what may ultimately save brass is tech advances like 3D printing.

It won't save brass; it will replace it.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:I think what may ultimately save brass is tech advances like 3D printing.

Probably should have said: make production of brass economically competitive, as in print the parts in plastic, burn out the plastic, and assemble. Pretty certain there will always be a market for brass if the price is right.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:38 am

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Probably should have said: make production of brass economically competitive, as in print the parts in plastic, burn out the plastic, and assemble. Pretty certain there will always be a market for brass if the price is right.

Eventually this infatuation with brass will fade along with the worship of the alter, too. What will be a good market will be the coding and plans for the 3D printers so that you can use a printer at home to make what you want. Those items that are going to always interest single digits of buyers will become available via a licensed fee download of the cope to your printer and away you go. Basic mechanisms will slowly follow as the resistance inertial of the herd fades.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Eventually this infatuation with brass will fade along with the worship of the alter, too. What will be a good market will be the coding and plans for the 3D printers so that you can use a printer at home to make what you want. Those items that are going to always interest single digits of buyers will become available via a licensed fee download of the cope to your printer and away you go. Basic mechanisms will slowly follow as the resistance inertial of the herd fades.

I'm not brash enough to say you're wrong (particularly since my crystal ball is out for repairs :mrgreen: ), but I think as long as the hobby is in existence, the brass buffs will be around. With ALL things being equal other than the material the item is made from, I'm guessing most would opt for a brass version over plastic version. I say MOST based on the generally cantankerous disposition of the denizens of this hobby, in that there will never be 100% agreement on anything.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:35 pm

Plastic is a wonderful medium - you should see the crispness of detail on the few plastic models I have. My hobby will never be plastic models, and I neither have nor need rational reasons for that.

But I agree - small shops that can do lost plastic will be the future of short-run brass parts. There will still ba assembly, and it may not continue at slave labor prices.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Eventually this infatuation with brass will fade along with the worship of the alter, too. What will be a good market will be the coding and plans for the 3D printers so that you can use a printer at home to make what you want. Those items that are going to always interest single digits of buyers will become available via a licensed fee download of the cope to your printer and away you go. Basic mechanisms will slowly follow as the resistance inertial of the herd fades.

I'm not brash enough to say you're wrong (particularly since my crystal ball is out for repairs :mrgreen: ), but I think as long as the hobby is in existence, the brass buffs will be around. With ALL things being equal other than the material the item is made from, I'm guessing most would opt for a brass version over plastic version. I say MOST based on the generally cantankerous disposition of the denizens of this hobby, in that there will never be 100% agreement on anything.

The infatuation with brass in 2 rail is analogous to the that of the 3 rail with die cast and sadly both are self-limiting.

I never said anything about plastic - 3D printing in metal has been around quite a while -- just expensive now, but that will change. All of this technology continues to drop in price and there are already shops that let you share the use of current technology.

20 years from now, most of the brass buffs will be gone.....and yo can see the effect of their estates on prices as the market slowly gluts while very little is actually being imported; that's not going to improve given costs.

If you want to put brass into an artisan class models, then they have even less relevance to the model RR'ing hobby and more to the collectables world of stuff in a display case.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”