Heads up! Yearly MMW thread is slowly gaining speed

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Heads up! Yearly MMW thread is slowly gaining speed

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:46 pm

The photo looks quite good. The superlatives are recycled from last year - and Martin's post, while so far ignored, is the most cogent. Check it out.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/mid ... 6467458770

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Heads up! Yearly MMW thread is slowly gaining speed

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm

I do wish him the best of luck, but nothing has yet to be delivered. I have no idea how something that's not even delivered is the best model ever....

Set the bar at the highest level ever and see what happens if there is an error or whatever.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

hibar

Postby hibar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Gotta give Eric a lot of credit, his first posting on this model dates back to 12/11 and now what appears to be a pilot model shows some exceptional truck and gear box castings to go with his proven drive system, the frame appears to carry most if not all of the prototype detail, the body will be the most detailed yet for this model which has been done in past years. i believe the full lighting package is an option but the powered fans are standard, no sound system. I assume it is DCC ready but did not find a reference to that, so we are talking 6 years to date and additional time [ ? ]to get all models assembled ,painted and test run. From what I have read in the past Eric talked about final assembly by him in USA, I suppose this could change considering the scope of the project. It appears at some point in the future initial investors should get a great model for their investment later buyers not so much. JMO

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 am

One of the posters says he (Erik) is going to be doing "cowell" units....wonder if he is doing Simon???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I do wish him the best of luck, but nothing has yet to be delivered. I have no idea how something that's not even delivered is the best model ever....

Somehow, that logic has escaped most of these people. Better hope there aren't any Aw Sh*ts! :mrgreen:

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:06 am

Went to his website and looked up the proposed SD40-2 "Premium" option locomotive and it would be the most advanced production diesel model to ever be imported. All engine bay doors will open (like Lee Turner's RS model) with a full scale model of the prime mover and all engine compartment piping, wiring and details that are possible, will be added. If I was into diesels, it would be nice to own one, but the $4200 price tag is really strong. Website says only 50 "Premium" models will be built and he has 21 reservations.

He uses the same deposit and incremental payment system that KOH's uses, which turns me off completely. Although Eric is relatively a young man, anything can happen during the years it takes to deliver a model and you'll never get your money back if it does. The more I thought about it during the last couple of years waiting for my Challenger I decided I would never go there again. I hate getting screwed and even loath it more if it's my fault. :( :( :( :(

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I do wish him the best of luck, but nothing has yet to be delivered. I have no idea how something that's not even delivered is the best model ever....

Somehow, that logic has escaped most of these people. Better hope there aren't any Aw Sh*ts! :mrgreen:

Logic and rational thought are elusive and rare commodities these days. Apparently having too much money and a willingness to be parted from it remains in vogue.

6 years and counting for what has been hailed as the greatest model yet to even arrive - if it fails by the slightest to live up to that hype, well, the internet is a cruel and unrelenting mistress.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm

Since 3rd Rail isn't going to do the SD40-2 it seems, I am actually looking at these. I am trying to figure out if its worth my time to try to convert one to DCC or not. I'm worried about compatibility with my existing roster of stuff. If I get one, it will probably be the premium version. Not sure if I can justify the price tag, but if it gets done, it truly will be at the top of the model game.

I'm hoping the SD45's get done and come in before the SD40-2 reservations close up. I'd much rather see how the lighting system, and drive system work in a finished model before I place money down on a reservation, but we'll see.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:08 am

Dave - check out Martin's post directly above.

I agree - these will be spectacular if they are ever produced. If they need fifty paid reservations and only have 21 after six years . . .

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 am

bob turner wrote:Dave - check out Martin's post directly above.

I agree - these will be spectacular if they are ever produced. If they need fifty paid reservations and only have 21 after six years . . .

Actually, for clarity, the 21 reservations are for the "Premium" SD40-2, which was only announced fairly recently (I believe). The 6 years and counting is for the SD-45 project.

BH

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:38 am

DaveJfr0 wrote:Since 3rd Rail isn't going to do the SD40-2 it seems, I am actually looking at these. I am trying to figure out if its worth my time to try to convert one to DCC or not. I'm worried about compatibility with my existing roster of stuff. If I get one, it will probably be the premium version. Not sure if I can justify the price tag, but if it gets done, it truly will be at the top of the model game.

I'm hoping the SD45's get done and come in before the SD40-2 reservations close up. I'd much rather see how the lighting system, and drive system work in a finished model before I place money down on a reservation, but we'll see.

Overland did them and they show up occasionally on Ebay. I have absolutely ZERO interest in this prototype, but if I did, I'd sure give the Overland's a look. Obviously depends what you want, how fast you want it, and how much you will pay.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:57 am

And, the prices they have been bringing recently on EB (2 months ago) was in the $800-1000 range painted and nice, which is way below previous selling prices of $1500 used. Believe they are tower drives which is big improvement over the tank drive. Good alternate to these more expensive models unless you have to have a $2800 or $4200 model.

BH

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Overland would be a good backup plan. I really only need one or two as these were released at the end of my modeling era. The only thing that would even get weathered on my model would be the wheels. If I am only going to get one, might as be one that can the one showcase model I ever own.

I dunno though. I think I am in a wait and see pattern still with the SD45 before I commit a reservation. Maybe the extra income I can save up for this will disappear by that time too, who knows.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

I have a US Hobbies or KTM SD-45; all that I will ever need. it meets all of my wants; well, except for the GN lettering. And that can be patched out if I so desire.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:19 pm

These models should be done just in time for fat boy to make a wrong move. Will anybody be shipping out of a war zone?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”