IMP Gondola Project

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Robert

IMP Gondola Project

Postby Robert » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 am

I know there is occasional interest in old kits here. Well here is one I bought off eBay several years ago. It was already built, and has a coat of awful black paint applied. I finally dug it out and plan to add it to my roster. My idea was to upgrade it with better details, give it a proper paint job, lettering etc.

Before an old model can interact with more current ones it needs a minimum of proper height Kadee couplers and decent trucks. I spent a few hours altering this car to include those two needs.

After handling it and dragging it along behind a freight to make certain it was going to at least operate nice, I am now wondering if newer details like PSC are worth the effort. As it sits now It is complete and properly assembled and with the fresh paint and accurate lettering it would blend in with everything else.

Those 1950 detail parts are all simple brass stampings, soldered in place. Question is...Do I owe this old car some respect...as in leave it be an old model as build by whoever wrote that note (bought and built all in one day) on the backside of the one sheet drawing? Or do I start ripping off all those bits, and make it more like what we are use to with todays model?

Pictures attached to give visual reference. Opinions are solicited and encouraged.

Robert

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6189.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

IMG_6191.JPG

J. S. Bach

Re: IMP Gondola Project

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:52 am

I would leave it as it is. Once on the layout and running around, you really will not see all of the extra stuff; especially on the underside. Also, I agree with the thought of leaving it as the original builder (who probably did his best) completed it. As an aside: too bad the purchaser/builder did not put the times down too. It would have been interesting to see how long ot took him to build it.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

Go for it.....add the extra detail.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Your model, your standards.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I seriously upgrade some models, and leave others as they were in 1940. I hate to see vintage Lobaugh or Linel scale cars cut up for Kadees, but I don't think an IMP gon is a significant historical piece. Go for it!

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Does it have the correct shape/size/color/lettering? Are you going to run it in a train? Are you going to take loving Eric Lindgren photographs? Were it mine, to be run on the club layout, I'd leave it be (except for KD's) (I do have one BTW).
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:53 am

Well with the few responders so far I see two (2) say go for the rebuild to a higher standard. Two (2) say leave it as is. and one (1) seamed indifferent. So I will give it time to soak and perhaps more of the regulars will chime in with more words of wisdom.

Thanks

Robert

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 pm

With the documentation included I would leave it just as it is. In some regards a piece of history. Even if you detail the hell out of and put a $5000.00 :mrgreen: paint job on it, so what, it's still just and IMP. Appreciate what it is. You know, the sow's ear vs. the silk purse. All that plus, it looks pretty good just like it is.

My 1 1/2 cents,

Jay

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Clean it and leave it alone & use it.

If it were a raw brass one, then I'd redetail it, etc.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 pm

I'd have said strip and have at it, however, the note and the history becomes meaningless once you do that.

Without the document, its a model of a piece of history. With the document, it is history.

So, I say keep it as it is and find another one (easy enough) to detail up.

Just my two-pennorth...
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”