Manufacturer I.D.

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
big bad jim

Manufacturer I.D.

Postby big bad jim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm

What is the name of the manufacturer that used brads through the car sides to hold the floor and body together? I've seen it discussed here before, I think usually in the context of passenger cars. Did this manufacturer also produce freight car kits?

Thanks,
Jim

aterry11

Re: Manufacturer I.D.

Postby aterry11 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Walthers . Crestline, or JC Silversides and in the ancient instructions I have the brads are called Bankers pins. Any body shed light on that one I have always wondered what a banker needs a pin for? :?

I'm not a freight car guy but I believe all 3 mentioned also made freight car kits

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:01 pm

big bad jim wrote:What is the name of the manufacturer that used brads through the car sides to hold the floor and body together? I've seen it discussed here before, I think usually in the context of passenger cars. Did this manufacturer also produce freight car kits?

All Nation cars both freight and passenger cars called for the sides (and ends on the freight cars) to be pinned or nailed and the nails were supplied in the kits.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 pm

The use of pins to hold sheet-metal sides on cars was widely used before WWII and for a long while afterward. Note that Crestline was the brand name of Walthers cars at first. I believe Walthers dropped the Crestline name just before the war. Silversides was the brand name of the metal-sided cars introduced by J.C. Models sometime after the war (before and right after the war the car sides were cardstock). All Nation picked up the Silverside line but dropped the Silverside name. Lobaugh also had sheet-metal sides for their passenger cars. Other examples seen with pinned sides include Woodson (heavyweights) and Chester (streamlined). As to freight cars, Lobaugh and Faber had metal-side cars before the war (and Lobaugh afterward). Athearn was the big name after the war, at least until All Nation caught up. Any of these cars are often or usually seen with pins. Note also the the cast metal sided passenger cars (Alexander) and freight cars (Megow) were designed to be pinned. I have not heard the term "bankers pin" before but escutcheon pin is a popular term.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Huh. I didn't realize the practice was so common. I had the distinct memory that it was a hallmark of a certain manufacturer. Perhaps I should start doing some memory exercises :roll: . I'll see if I can get a picture of the car(s) in question to narrow down the possibilities. Thanks to all for your replies.

Jim

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:......... but escutcheon pin........

I've got jars of the things and every so often someone wants the blasted things for building their All-Nation kit.....and somewhere a few bags of the ones that Kemtron used to sell, too.... :roll:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

stephen neill

Postby stephen neill » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Before staples came into wide use, small pins were used to hold papers together. A lot of industries used them, but perhaps the banks were the ones the general public came in contact with the most. As others have mentioned, a lot of MR companies supplied pins with their freight and passenger car kits.
Steve

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Pins are now incredibly difficult to buy. I have some Vince Robinson pins that are super small, and found a dollhouse place in Massachusetts that sells the pins I use for valve gear. I have found nothing in between - nothing that will work for smoke box rivets, so have two locomotives with rows of drilled holes.

The Walthers cars? I won't go near one with nailed-on sides. Yuk!

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Bob,

I have the small Grandt plastics burned out and cast in brass. I think the head is .013". They have larger also. Costs about $3 to $4 have the entire sprue cast. Might even get David down to $2.50.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I need to do some measuring. I have one Challenger boiler and one Scalecraft Mt. The holes will fake your eye out - I don't even notice. Photo soon.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:03 am

Hello Brad / pin / nail counters
Time for a Jim like quiz ... who made the car?

Cheers Carey

IMG_5930.JPG
IMG_5930.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 4205 times

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:48 am

Regarding very small pins, a company called "Houseworks" sells many doll house related items. One is a small package of very small brass round head pins that I have used for rivet heads on models. Check them out.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

aterry11

Postby aterry11 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 am

Starting top left and going counterclockwise.
First is a BC model, second is a Crestline based on folded tin vestibule steps, third is a JC models based on the ends of the cars are one solid block of angle sawn wood and foul the Vestibule door windows, also sides appear to be warpy so they might be paper. Last is a cast Mi loco judging by the cast vestibule steps and the attempt to hide the screw heads with putty.
These are my guesses based on observation and watching around here. Did I get em Right? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Also micro mark used to carry the brass pins in 2 sizes you just have to ask for them.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 am

I may need to clarify my post concerning the casting of Grandt (or any plastic parts). The price I quoted does not include the cost of the plastic. You either have to supply the plastic parts or have me obtain them. Their cost would be added to the cost of casting them in brass or nickel silver.

Terry,

Yes, I buy those and use them frequently but not to attach sides.

Personally, I always felt like using the pins on the sides of the cars ruins the look. The models have great rivet detail with scale to semi-scale rivets and by installing the rivets you now have a rivet that's at least twice as big as the surrounding rivets. For me, it ruins the whole thing.

Jay

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

You can buy brass pins for chandelier repairs. They are used to hold crystal on. Look around you'll you'll find in boxes of 100-1000. Also in many sizes
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”