Now For Something Really Different (The P:48 Version)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Re: Now For Something Really Different (The P:48 Version)

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:17 am

Will these axles 2 rail a 3 rail version?

Robert,

I'm afraid your question was lost in the mix.

I believe these would help in a conversion but. off the top of my head, I can think of three major issues;

1. Electrical pickup will be lacking if there are no wipers. This could probably be worked out
2. Control system incompatibility. Will the 3r system work with 2r? I can't answer that
3. Couplers and swinging pilots. Shoot, I don't know if these models have issues with this, or not.

Bottom line, it might be a good start but it might be easier to start with a 2r model. I simply don't know enough about 3r.

Jay

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:20 am

While driving home from the post office it occured to me, OG2 is O Gauge 2 rail. Seems simple enough.

I still like O Scale. How about OS2? Sounds like one of Uncle Bill's operating systems :lol:

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 am

Jay Criswell wrote:While driving home from the post office it occured to me, OG2 is O Gauge 2 rail. Seems simple enough.

I still like O Scale. How about OS2? Sounds like one of Uncle Bill's operating systems :lol:

Jay

Jay,

I have no real aversion to any of it, nor am I insulted by Ow5, but it just seemed to me that having an identifier to the fact that it is 2 rail as part of the term would be a good idea. A lot of people think O gauge is all 3 rail, and don't even know 2 rail exists. Scale as a descriptor has been bastardized to the extent where people use the term "semi-scale" which is bar none one of the most idiotic terms out there. OS2 works for me as long as Bill doesn't litigate! Waaaaaay too much juice there! :lol:

Rich

Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am

sarge wrote: I'd rather build things.

AMEN!

Robert

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 pm

Well, I participated here, but I too would rather have participated in a more technical discussion. Problem is, the only threads that have any life are these, when they deteriorate into meaningless nomenclature discussions.

I note that Carey, who is carrying our doorstop explorations, is not spending time here?

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Nor I, there.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm

bob turner wrote:Well, I participated here, but I too would rather have participated in a more technical discussion. Problem is, the only threads that have any life are these, when they deteriorate into meaningless nomenclature discussions.

I note that Carey, who is carrying our doorstop explorations, is not spending time here?

No one is holding a gun to your head making you read or post to any of these discussions. Don't like what you see on a topic? Real easy to move on to another or start one of your own liking. Maybe Carey is onto something!

Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:30 pm

What I meant was basically that. If the topic is one that you think not worthwhile, don't post. Let it die naturally. These are very popular diversions, especially compared to doorstop and Lobaugh threads.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:42 pm

bob turner wrote:What I meant was basically that. If the topic is one that you think not worthwhile, don't post. Let it die naturally. These are very popular diversions, especially compared to doorstop and Lobaugh threads.

Bob,
I agree but do not understand why what you suggest is so hard for some.
Aren't most topics on forums meant to be diversions?
There are some that are informational but they do serve their purpose rather quickly sometimes.
Admittedly my purposes are different from many. I want to have fun and learn a little.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello all
The gauge/ scale battle has been ranging sine the beginning of time ... or at least when Lee B Green surfaced with his push for 17/64ths in 1933, and his declaration " make it perfect or don't make it".
Minton All things 1/4" in 1937launched with his Q gauge to correct the "error".

I'm a collector ( and soon to be operator ) of doorstops ... which have been known to fall short of the perfect "scale" on a rare occasion.
As such throwing a rock would only break my window.

O gauge has been around since before 1900 in two rail with clockwork and steam, 1910 electric with center 3rd rail , mid / late 20's when the scale world placed the 3rd rail on the outside ... so pushing 120 years of historical data can not be erased.

There is enough room at the table "layout" for all ...
I'm thrilled that there is such variety in the field ... As there are not enough Pomona pieces to go around for everyone.

Buy / model what you like and like what you model / buy

Cheers Carey

PS
Jay those drop out wheel sets are great ...MTC ( Miniature Train Coporation) builders of amusement park trains were faced with a similar delima ... selling trains to parks with different gauges ...14", 15", & 16" ... their answer was to make one truck , one axle .. and three different wheels sets that could be changed out for the various locations.... three sets of holes to adjust the bracket rigging ... by offering one train to fit your existing railroad MTC was able to sell 250 trains and became the kingpin in park trains ... until 24" became the insurance company favorite for narrow trains.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:47 am

You guys are all getting lost in the minutia. We all have the nomenclature and use whatever we want. My goal or statements probably don't pertain to any of you. All of you are knowledgeable enough to know what I'm talking about when I say 2r O Scale or P:48.

What you're forgetting, or overlooking is, when I'm trying to clarify what a potential customer wants/needs it's usually very simple. Most know but problems arise when working with someone that's new to O Gauge, O Scale, P:48, call it whatever. The last thing I want to do is sell someone, especially a newbie, the wrong parts.

Jay

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Jay,
Applause, applause to the above.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Hello,
I'm not offended by 0w5. It's a pretty good zinger and really a square hit with the hammer on the nail. I like what the Proto 48ers are doing. I don't feel like a lesser person for not doing P48 or due to the 0w5 comment.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:01 am

I feel like a lesser modeler - which is ok; there are more important things.

I admit to being used to seeing too-wide wheel treads. I also admit to not being able to lay track to support anything less than .155 wheel tread. Those two are synergistic.

I am one of the very few who can actually see the wideness of our track when looking at a model from an end. So I do 1 1/8" gauge, .172 wheel tread (uses Proto-48 bolsters), and also 17/64.

But a large portion of my models are 1/4" scale on 5' gauge. I do not have the energy, desire, or time to convert them.

But I am a happy lesser modeler. Call it anything you want - just don't call 17/64 Q-Scale.

Opinion.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 am

Jay Criswell wrote:You guys are all getting lost in the minutia. We all have the nomenclature and use whatever we want. My goal or statements probably don't pertain to any of you. All of you are knowledgeable enough to know what I'm talking about when I say 2r O Scale or P:48.

What you're forgetting, or overlooking is, when I'm trying to clarify what a potential customer wants/needs it's usually very simple. Most know but problems arise when working with someone that's new to O Gauge, O Scale, P:48, call it whatever. The last thing I want to do is sell someone, especially a newbie, the wrong parts.

Jay

Exactly why I suggested adding a 2 to the description. Anything that will help the newbie or non-hobbyist understand, is in my opinion, a good thing.

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”