Now For Something Really Different (The P:48 Version)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Now For Something Really Different (The P:48 Version)

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Remember that title from the Rocky & Bullwinkle Show. Man, I loved that show.

Anyway, the following is a cut and paste from the OST Forum (cause I'm lazy).

When I bought a large portion of the Protocraft line, with the intent of expanding Right-O'-Way's presence in Proto48, I ended up with thousands of 36", 40", and 42" diesel wheels. It appeared to me that if sales continued at their present rate I would have enough wheels to last me 50 years. So I said to myself, self, how can I sell more of these wheels? Self said, I dunno.

Anyway, I like the diesels Sunset 3rd rail is producing (I bought the SP BW SD-9). My primary reason, I feel their drives are far superior to their competition's. Don't get me wrong, I've made a few bucks over the years replacing China drives but that's not the way to bring in new modelers to P:48. Self started thinking, if we could produce replacement axles/wheels (P:48) that could be swapped out with the original factory Ow5 (that's not an insult, I model Ow5) modelers could make their models capable of running on P:48 track. Changing nothing else on the models (side frames stay where they are would keep everything fairly simple and the model(s) could be changed back to Ow5.

Now, I had the wheels and axle material but bronze gears & bearings would probably be too expensive to make the whole thing viable. I decided to ask Scott Mann what he thought of my idea and asked if he had any extra gears and bearings. He said he didn't have the quantity I wanted in stock but like my idea. He then offered to have new gears, bearings, and thrust washers made by his builder. I jumped on the offer and he came through for me. Actually, the first batch were made to the specs for models previously produced. These gears measured 10.5mm in diameter and we needed the 10.1mm version.

About a week ago I took delivery of the correct gears. Since then I've assembled fifty, or so, axle sets. Just to make sure all of this was going to work I converted my SD-9 and it runs just as nice as it did before my modifications.

These sets will work in any of the current and future Sunset 3rd Rail diesels. This will include the second run of the EMD F-7s, the new F-3s, E5/6, RI Rocket, the PA/PB, and the SD40-2 (if Scott gets enough reservations). The larger (10.5mm) sets will work in the recent runs of E7, FL9, FT, FP7, F7 (1st run).

Oh yeah, the reservations for the SD-40-2 are way down. If you're interested in getting one (or more) and using these conversion kits I would recommend getting your reservation in.

Now the purest in P:48 may not approve but, to me, it allows people to get into P:48 and try it out. If they want out or want to sell their models they can switch them back to factory original.

Jay

bob turner

Re: Now For Something Really Different (The P:48 Version)

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 pm

That is a neat idea. May you sell thousands! I would probably be in Proto-48 if I had the patience to lay decent track.

cole7015

Postby cole7015 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:28 am

well done Jay and Scott.

Bill Basden

PRR Man

Postby PRR Man » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 am

Now that is an innovative idea. Simple and effective. Well done Jay.
I am John Galt.
Chris

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:53 am

Jay, I have told you many times that you are model railroading genius with vision and cojones. While not in P48 I applaud your efforts for those who are!

Peter

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:00 am

Congratulations Jay!!! I knew you were contemplating this product, but as always, you amaze me with the speed you accomplish your ideas. Great idea and it will help Scott as well.

As far as moving the side frames inboard, the diehards will figure out a solution and those who don't care will just run them as is. I assume these will fit the new E-8/9's?

BH

Robert

Postby Robert » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am

It's refreshing to see someone adding to the enjoyment of the hobby. Jay your hardly my idea of lazy, but certainly one of the hobby's thinkers.

Robert

sarge

Postby sarge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am

Jay, nicely done.

Regarding terminology and to clarify a misconception on the part of a few folk, I personally have no dog in the "Ow5" fight.

As a business, I do realise the term will always carry with it a stigma of condescension with some erstwhile customers given its origin. Since O gauge is defined (and for over a century), a further term to differentiate between it and P48 just isn't required. That said, with flaws and emotions and pride of place aside, it simply is O gauge and P48 (just as we had O gauge and Q gauge at one point). Simples. Now, maybe in the future the next guy in my shoes will feel differently, but there is no need as a business just because it really is a redundant term that (right or wrong) annoys some folk.

Back to the important bit, regarding the same sort of product that brings P48 closer to hand for the "average joe", I have a question to pose to you. Since it would involve the future and product lines, I won't ask it here but perhaps you might shoot a PM my way?
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 am

Jay Criswell wrote:Anyway, the following is a cut and paste from the OST Forum (cause I'm lazy).

I do not equate being efficient with laziness, :wink: :wink:

Although, I was expecting you to pull a rabbit out of your hat! :mrgreen:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

Sarge,

Great points and I won't split hairs...too much.

I've always used the following;
O gauge = 3 rail
O Scale = 2 rail
P:48 = Somewhat self explanatory

Ow5 may have started out as some form of insult but it describes the gauge and all that entails. Similar to On2, On2 1/2, On3, etc. it gives a more clarification. Now all of this may seem to take all this further than it needs to be but I've seen modelers purchase P:48 parts when then needed regular O Scale (Ow5) and vice versa. Bottom line, I'm striving for clarity. I want modelers to get the correct items for their needs. Too many people looking to be insulted or offended these days.

PM will be sent shortly.

Jay
Last edited by Jay Criswell on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:30 am

Wow, thanks to all of you for your compliments and kind words. I showed this to my wife, hoping she would be impressed and become more tolerant of my modeling endeavors. Didn't work out....she reminded me of chores still not accomplished.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 am

sarge wrote:Regarding terminology and to clarify a misconception on the part of a few folk, I personally have no dog in the "Ow5" fight. As a business, I do realize the term will always carry with it a stigma of condescension with some erstwhile customers given its origin. Since O gauge is defined (and for over a century), a further term to differentiate between it and P48 just isn't required.

Sarge, Not trying to pick a fight here, but the problem with just calling it "O gauge" is that term does not account for the number of rails. Pick up a copy of "O Gauge Railroading" and you will get "O gauge", but it ain't the O gauge you and I want to read about.

sarge wrote:As a business, I do realize the term will always carry with it a stigma of condescension with some erstwhile customers given its origin. Since O gauge is defined (and for over a century), a further term to differentiate between it and P48 just isn't required. That said, with flaws and emotions and pride of place aside, it simply is O gauge and P48 (just as we had O gauge and Q gauge at one point). Simple. Now, maybe in the future the next guy in my shoes will feel differently, but there is no need as a business just because it really is a redundant term that (right or wrong) annoys some folk.

Under O gauge you have 3 rail, 3 rail scale, 2 rail which used to be O Scale....best to have something to differentiate among them. My thought would be O gauge2, short form OG2. Problem solved.

sarge wrote:Back to the important bit, regarding the same sort of product that brings P48 closer to hand for the "average Joe"

The difficulty with that is, if the "average Joe" runs steam, he's going to have problems, unless his last name is Foehrkolb (not to infer that Joe is in any way average).

Rich

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 am

Jay Criswell wrote:....she reminded me of chores still not accomplished.

Of course she did - it's genetically encoded and linked. :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am

Perhaps Ow5 will alert newcomers to the inaccuracy, thus adding some impetus to the Proto-48 movement? Or less likely, to the 17/64 crowd (ten more would double our numbers)?

Most of my equipment and track is indeed Ow5. I have never regarded its inaccuracy as an insult to anybody, let alone me.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

Bob,

It's not the actual gauge but, in fact, the term Ow5 that was used by some P:48 modelers when talking about O Scale. I've been told it was meant as an insult. Again, too many people looking to be offended.

I'm thinking about doing a copy & paste on the OGR Forum just to see how long it takes to be deleted. I don't think the powers that be will like a non sponsor posting something like this. Could be entertaining.

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”