SD7/SD9 fuel tank breather parts

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DaveJfr0

SD7/SD9 fuel tank breather parts

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Do any of you guys know if anyone has 4 spare of these…Scott Mann did not include them in his models, but I know quite a few roads had them. I think OMI may have put them on their rendition however many decades ago they did theirs…but maybe I can get lucky and there are spares floating around someone's basement.

I have reached out to Bill Davis and Pat Mucci. Will be interesting to see what they say. I am not opposed to making them, but if someone has them built, I'd rather just pay the monies on this one.

SD9 fuel tank breather.jpg
SD9 fuel tank breather.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

sarge

Re: SD7/SD9 fuel tank breather parts

Postby sarge » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:15 pm

I remember it was actually PSC that did the SD7/9 in brass a decade or so ago.

If my memory isn't faulty, then give them an email.

If not, looks like not much more than pipe and a check-valve...
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:22 pm

My resident expert says OMI did them with their SD24s.

Is this correct? I haven't a clue.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:20 am

I could well be mistaken when it comes to matters of memory, Jay. :D

Still, didn't PSC do them, perhaps before OMI from the sound of it? If so, they might have done the breather as a casting and worth the ask.

If not though, chalk it up to faulty "old guy" memory failings, and Dave gets to make 'em, which wouldn't be a bad thing after all. Grin!
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 am

Hey Sarge,

You could very well be correct. I'm no expert, nor really that knowledgeable on diesel parts. What I did do is ask a friend that's extremely knowledgeable and he told me about the OMI SD24. Could he be mistaken? Sure.

I also went through my PSC catalogs, and the current online version (pdf) as well, and could find nothing. Does this mean PSC never did them? Not necessarily. As we all know, their catalogs are a crap shoot, at best. Don't get me wrong, I love PSC and what they do but experience shows us, just because it's in their catalog doesn't mean it's really available so, I suppose, the inverse could be true also.

If Dave doesn't come up with something maybe someone could create a master and have new parts cast up.

My 1.5 cents worth,

Jay

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks Brian. I have reached out to PSC as well. I originally didn't see it in the PSC catalog when I first looked up what this part was, but you never know. Maybe they have something uncatalogued. Really hoping Bill has some of these stashed away and not on his website. Otherwise I'll spend the time to build 4, hopefully identical, facsimiles. I don't have drawings, so pictures will have to do.

I've quickly learned about time over the past 2 years. While I can build anything, some things are just worth it "in time" to buy.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

CMorrill

Postby CMorrill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:59 pm

quote >> Don't get me wrong, I love PSC and what they do but experience shows us, just because it's in their catalog doesn't mean it's really available so, I suppose, the inverse could be true also.<< I agree with Jay on that statement as well.

The builders of locos for PSC may use castings from other sources besides PSC. This fitting pictured here is on about all the prototype SP steam locomotives and both PSC and GPM applied this casting to their models. But, I've been unable to find it in the PSC catalog. And not knowing what they call it complicates matters.

Charlie
Attachments
SP pipe fitting.jpg
SP pipe fitting.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 5584 times

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Charlie,

When PSC imports a model the castings are done overseas. The parts rarely become available here. Didn't used to be the case but it's the norm now.

Which model did GP apply that part? I have a bunch of their overrun parts and may actually have some of those.

Jay

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:My resident expert says OMI did them with their SD24s.

I think I remember seeing those parts installed on a custom-painted Southern SD24 that sold on Feebay.... but seeing those parts installed on a locomotive doesn't actually mean OMI shipped the locomotives with those parts in the box.

CMorrill

Postby CMorrill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Jay,

Whatever that part is called, it should be on the smokebox. Normally on left side. My GPM mike has it. The other GPM SP locos should also have it, but I don't have the models or photos to verify it.

I started looking for the fitting while assembling a 4-8-0. Didn't find it in the kit and or in the PSC catalog.

Charlie

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Charlie,

Like this?

Scratch built SP F5 (2-10-2). Casting came from PSC.

Jay

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Looks like a black pipe wye to me, perhaps in their sundries catalog.

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

I owned a PSC SD-7/9 back in the mid 90's. Bought it new from Terry Paige. I heard OMI imported them later, but didn't buy one so can't say for sure.

BH

CMorrill

Postby CMorrill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Jay,

That would be it! Although it is not the identical casting as on the Pacific, it would certainly do. You say it came from PSC, do you recall a name, p.n., or what section of the catalog you found it in?

Charlie

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:57 pm

You are holding out on us. How about a photo of that Deck? What we can see is exquisite.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”