Mikado thread

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
CMorrill

Re: Mikado thread

Postby CMorrill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:47 pm

Since Glacier Park Models' mike was not mentioned, here is a photo of that assembly and a photo of the Stevenson/Lobaugh tailbeam casting for comparison.

Charlie
Attachments
S-L tailbeam.jpg
S-L tailbeam.jpg (191.64 KiB) Viewed 5167 times
GPM tailbeam.jpg
GPM tailbeam.jpg (232.19 KiB) Viewed 5167 times

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Charlie,

You beat me to it.

Both of these are from Glacier Park. The painted one may get the Stevenson mike substructure. The other.....to be determined.

Jay

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:45 pm

SWEET!!! Thanks men.

Looks like I need a mini-mill, just don't know how many more engines I have a want for :roll:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks Jay! Ugh!

The Stevenson parts are correct, but if you need to go around corners you can tie the two halves together in back. You cannot tell from the side. Also, while the Glacier model looks quite well detailed, they seem to have left off the equalizer bars.

Bob Smith also made an exquisite Hodges truck, and I bet Lou still has some.

My first scratchbuilt - an MM-2 - has a Hodges lead truck. That is when I became a tailbeam fanatic.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

Bob,

Yeah, the equalizer bar would be simple enough to fabricate or add Bob's. I have one of Bob's kits but the castings were done by our friend Dennis. Don't tell anybody but I have some extras. I'm not sure why Jimmy removed so much material. I may try to adapt one of Bob's trailing trucks and frame bits to the unpainted GP frame.

I have more GP drivers, rods, gearboxes, etc so it really might be the way to go.

Jay

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Just a little cutting and splicing.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Mike - unpowered.JPG
Mike - unpowered.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 5093 times
Mike - scratch, powered.JPG
Mike - scratch, powered.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5093 times
Mike - powered with adams tender.JPG
Mike - powered with adams tender.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 5093 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Note that these need equalizer bars too (and graphite, and decals, and insignia red injectors and valves, and paint on drivers, and maybe a re-railer).

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

bob turner wrote:Note that these need equalizer bars too (and graphite, and decals, and insignia red injectors and valves, and paint on drivers, and maybe a re-railer).

If it's EsPee, TWO rerailers.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 am

Jay Criswell wrote:Just a little cutting and splicing.

Jay

Beautiful frames and model Jay. Is that some type of torque or spring loaded coupler between the motor and gearbox? I've never seen that before and it looks like a modernized spring coupling device from days gone by.

How come the loco is apart. Repowering?

BH

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am

Hey Butch,

Whenever possible, I try to buy or trade with Jimmy Booth (owner of Glacier Park) for the overrun or extra parts he gets when he brings in a new model. What you seeing are parts I assembled from his SP Mikado run. I ended up with a bunch of Mogul parts too.

I didn't like the 30v Maxon motor he used (yeah, I got some of those too). So I've been experimenting with 12 and 18 volt Fauhabers. The 30v motors just didn't provide enough RPMs to allow the model to double head with other models.The gear ratio is somewhere around 6:1 so 12 volt is a little too fast. The 18v seems about right......to me.

The couplings are used in the drive industry to connect servo motors to drive mechanisms. Don't get me wrong, I still use rubber tubing at times but the coupling you see in the photo is far more elegant and never needs to be replaced. Not cheap though.

Clear as mud, huh?

Jay

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Jay, sorry for the slow reply but missed the thread. Thanks for the information. Those couplers are pretty darn nice. Your parts stash must be fabulous.

Butch

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 pm

BH,

Shhhhh! Don't tell!

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Hot digs - there is life on the Mikado thread. Guess I'd better dig up another . . .

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 am

I'll sneak one in here while Bob T is looking for another Mike to post:

Somebody put a fair amount of work into this model. It's a GMC/All Nation USRA Pacific boiler atop a Hines USRA Mikado chassis. The original lettering (now mostly flaked off) was for SP, and a few SP details have been added, such as the oil bunker in the tender and the step-platform on top of the pilot. The solid pilot itself is a Ray Waller casting (the Waller name is cast into the back). A sheet metal boiler skirt has been added. In a broad sense it seems reasonably close USRA Light Mikado. I am not an SP expert but the boilers on the SP Mikes seem to have little or no taper compared to this one, so I am not sure how good a match to any SP this might be.

I am not sure what I want to do with this. I may clean it up and leave it SP, but I have seen some Rock Island Mikes with solid pilots and I would think the RI in Texas used oil burners, so I may investigate that some more. Other suggestions are welcome.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”