What am I missing here............

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
rrjjf

Re: What am I missing here............

Postby rrjjf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 am

Regarding the Lobaugh SP Switcher, with care in assembly and a little extra effort in detailing, these little locos can be made into very nice models. Mechanically they are very good and with the installation of a small can motor they are even better. I have one of these that I built with a modified tender for coal and the "Mongrel Mogul" version of this loco that Lobaugh did in the 1950s with an extended frame and pilot truck.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:25 am

This was one of the best - re-designed after the war with lost-wax details and reduced in size to exact 1/4" scale. Its major flaw is that motor - it occupies the cab. Stevenson still produces this kit, although he made many construction design changes. This was O Scale's best 0-6-0 until Westside, and even then the Lobaugh ran a lot better.

The oldies often run way better than the imports. What first attracted me was the ruggedness and precision of these models. Boilers are often almost 1/16" thick. Main frames are heavier than Max Gray. Drivers are cast iron. They have a charm. The very best O Scale model I have ever seen was a Mikado built using Lobaugh parts. You can use them as a springboard and detail them to an extreme.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Well you can't just say that without giving us more details Bob; what prototype was it specifically built to? how much of it was Lobaugh vs after market or custom fabricated? what kind motor and drive etc.
You know Inquiring minds like mine want to know further about any model you would elevate as "the very best... you've ever seen" given your own prodigious number of builds.
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

CMorrill

Postby CMorrill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 pm

This is the Stevenson version of the Lobaugh 0-6-0 kit mechanism. Certainly something like this could be adapted to that ebay item and any bits that turned out not recoverable could be purchased from Stevenson.

Charlie
Attachments
L-S 0-6-0 mechanism.jpg
L-S 0-6-0 mechanism.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 pm

I am not seeing what you all are seeing. There is a lot of rust on the right rear driver, but I bet it cleans up nicely with a wire brush. All the rest of the rust is superficial, and I don't see any missing or damaged pieces.

Pete - on the Mikado - I shall have to resurrect my Mikado thread. All the photos were Photobucket. They can keep them - I will post directly from my own files.

For now, just do a search for "O Scale lost wax SP Mikado."

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

In fact, if you change the title of this thread to ""0-6-0 switchers" I will re-post photos of both kinds of Lobaugh as well as the Stevenson display model.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:33 pm

Hello Bob and other Lobaugh fans

Are there any production records as to the number of kits ? RTR engines sold ?

In the 1953 Lobaugh catalog, Rollin states 2000 of the Berkshire engines have been sold .... in a War era ad, Rollin mentions 200 Challengers had been sold.
The Berkshire was certainly the most advertised engine in the early postwar era with a 98.00 price tag for the kit.

From your experience, which of the Lobaugh engines are the most common ....and the least common ?

You sited the change , evolution , modifications ..that occurred on the 060 from pre war to post war .... did many changes also occur on the other models ?
Thank you very much for the education
Cheers Carey

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:03 am

CMorrill wrote:This is the Stevenson version of the Lobaugh 0-6-0 kit mechanism. Certainly something like this could be adapted to that ebay item and any bits that turned out not recoverable could be purchased from Stevenson. Charlie

Considering the bidding isn't over on that rusty piece of crap, if I wanted one I would just buy the complete engine kit from Bob Stevenson at $475:

http://stevensonpreservationlines.com/p ... 2aavb59o22

Only reason I see for buying the one on Evilbate is if you are hung up on the name Lobaugh (that sort of reeks a bit of the 3 Rail orange box - purple box stuff). As in all things, it is what is your preference!

PS: Tender kits range $150 - $175

All opinion.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am

Carey Williams wrote:Wow some folks cannot see a diamond in the rough ...

Having seen the condition of the stuff this seller brings to Chicago, it's probably a lot rougher than those photos.

it's a Lobaugh ...

Big deal......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:18 pm

It is a big deal for some of us. For quality, Lobaugh ranks right up there with me. My scratch models mimic the Lobaugh pattern.

The Stevenson model is very nice, but it is "different" structurally. It takes skill to build one.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:29 pm

bob turner wrote:It is a big deal for some of us. For quality, Lobaugh ranks right up there with me. My scratch models mimic the Lobaugh pattern.

The Stevenson model is very nice, but it is "different" structurally. It takes skill to build one.

How many Lobaugh 0-6-0's have you seen and/or owned. ImageImageImage
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Seen lots. Own four. Worked on others.

Also scratchbuilt four, and assembled Bob's display model.

Not impressed with the Westside version. Have not seen the Beaver Creek. Looking forward to seeing the Sunset version.

My friend George Wilson (RIP) worked on the project in the 1950s. You can see his signature on the blueprints.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:50 pm

it's a Lobaugh ...

Big deal......

wow playing to a rough house tonight ...

I guess the death panels are fully in place ......

I'll have to keep my collection of octogenarians looking young and nibble to avoid a thumbs down from Cesar .

It would be a boring world if we all collected / built/ restored the same thing ...

Cheers Carey

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I just got suckered by YouTube into watching a film of SP trains from the 1950s. I thought it interesting (and timely) to see an 0-6-0 appear, switching what I believe to be the San Francisco terminal (please correct me if I am wrong). I was surprised that they lasted that long. Before you click on the link, be forewarned that links other SP footage appears, and if you are not careful the entire evening will be lost. The 0-6-0 appears by itself at the 5:20 mark. It can also be seen switching in the distance in the clip that follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtvuoKxJ2ak

The cab-forward running light is worth seeing too.
Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 am

Carey Williams wrote:It would be a boring world if we all collected / built/ restored the same thing ...

Cheers Carey

I don't think anyone is questioning what you like/build/restore. It's just that some of us think the particular loco in question is a piece of junk. Like beauty, TRASH is in the eye of the beholder.

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”