P&D brass GP9 kit

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
GreggL

P&D brass GP9 kit

Postby GreggL » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am

I've not seen one of these P&D brass GP9 kits before, and one is listed on eBay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DL-O-BRASS-2-RAIL-P-D-HOBBY-EMD-GP9-PHASE-II-EARLY-DELUXE-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-KIT/152639518354?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

I'm starting the build of the Red Caboose GP9 to cover a Kelly Regan chassis with Jay Criswell motors and drive. If the brass version is comparable, or better, I'd prefer that route. Thoughts?

Thanks...gregg

bob turner

Re: P&D brass GP9 kit

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Usually (opinion) a plastic model has far better detail than a similar brass model, and that is certainly true for most versions of the GP, particularly including Kemtron. That said, I choose Kemtron over plastic any time - I have traded even a perfect Weaver RS for a beat-up, barely running Kemtron.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Gregg,

Maybe do both. :D

Jay

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Regarding the P&D GP9 kit. I have had one of these awaiting my attention for several years. The detail on this model is much nicer than the earlier Kemtron unit. The outlines of the doors are reverse etched as they should be and the lost was brass trucks are excellent. I also have a Kemtron kit and have no problem with that one either. The Red Caboose kits are very nice looking but delicate and the drive they came with (the old Atlas F-9 mechanism) leaves something to be desired IMO. I built two of these units and replaced the wheelsets and gears with NWSL components made for these kits.

I guess I prefer metal locomotives.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Pros:
P&D Blomberg sideframes, presuming they are included in this deluxe kit ($135 retail I believe).
Thin walls for cab and long hood, improving appearance of glazing in the cab and possibly allowing for use of a Pittman 8724 gear motor.

Cons:
Most likely an older Pittman motor included, with traditional magnets.

My nitpick about brass versus plastic shells is usually the depth of the etchings for things like doors and latches. Plastic is often better than brass in this regard. However, it looks like the latches, if not other details, are actually separate parts in this case. So that may not be an issue. I know PSC has latches, but I also believe P&D has them available in their house line of parts. Better pictures of the kit parts would help tremendously in ascertaining the quality of the etches.

Motor choices for plastic shells aren't really a problem, especially if you are going with one of Jay's systems. He has alternatives to the standard 19.5:1 8724 Pittman now. I just doubt the motor included with this kit is anything special. Again that may be a moot point if you are usually one of the Criswell Specials.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the P&D kit. Like you, this is the first time I've seen one. But knowing the Red Caboose kit, I'm hard pressed to see any advantage in switching to the P&D kit. Especially since you apparently already have it in hand and already have addressed the drive and frame aspects, both of which are issues with the Red Caboose kit.

GreggL

Postby GreggL » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for all the thoughts. I have emailed Keith Wiseman several questions since he is the lister.

The Red Caboose is certainly fragile, but I have a bunch of P&D and DesPlaines brass parts to be used for replacement (such as the grills, steps, handrail stanchions, etc).

Jay, if I get this brass kit, I'll swap you the left over parts for a duplicate chassis with motor - deal? :D

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:21 pm

Gregg,

Rrrrriiiiggggghhhhhttt!

Jay

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”