Wanna Lathe?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
sarge

Wanna Lathe?

Postby sarge » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 am

A shameless plug for a BST advert I just put up but, since its something more attractive to the 2-rail side, I'll be a bit cheeky and call attention to it.

I have more machine tools than I need, especially as I no longer cut wheels and the like. It is a lovely capable machine for those who want to get into the next level of the game.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

bob turner

Re: Wanna Lathe?

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 pm

What'sa BST?

A lathe is an end in itself. It is like owning a live steamer.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 am

bob turner wrote:What'sa BST?

Buy/Sell/Trade (see the board index)

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 am

Found it. Opinion: the 9" South Bend epitomizes the mystique of the lathe. Yours got converted to V belts somewhere along the line. Leather belts are not difficult to make. Your lathe deserves a photo here.

I value my lathes as much as I value a good steam model. They will leave with my estate.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am

Actually, it is a "v" code machine that came that way. You had a choice of three-speed flatbelt or could add a little for four-speed V-belt headstocks.

(Edited to just speak to headstocks for clarity)
Last edited by sarge on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Bob,

In my opinion a South Bend 9" lathe is capable of doing any machine work required in O Scale. Sarge's lathe is a Model C and does not have a quick change gearbox or clutch drive. My SB 9" is a Model A and includes those features. You don't need them for most work that we do but they can be helpful.

I believe that the Southbend 9" lathe may be the most common quality lathe in existence. I would recommend a set of 3C collets and collet holder for precise repeatable work. I have machined O scale handrail posts on my machine using collets just to see if I could do it.

Ebay sellers are always offering tooling and parts for this machine.

A couple of years ago I picked up a Southbend Heavy 10 with the larger spindle. I use it primarily for cutting off driver tire blanks. It is more rigid than the 9" machine and has been a great addition to my shop.

Having a good metal lathe in a shop opens up a world of possibilities for a model builder.

Machining things becomes a hobby in itself.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Tail Dragger and fedex cat 011.jpg
Tail Dragger and fedex cat 011.jpg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 2988 times

Quick change - taper attachment - full collets, including square Lobaugh axle bearing collet -three jaw - two four-jaw - I cannot believe my good fortune. Born the same month as my brother - Sept 1944.

Do not use a flimsy bench. this one is Harbor Freight, much modified, and still flimsoid.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:15 pm

I'll add a photo here for Bob, since we're talking about them now.

These things came in several models and configurations. Mine is indeed a C.

The headstocks came with either a three-sheave flat belt or a four-sheave V-belt. Most commonly they came with a high/low intermediate off the motor so either six or eight speed.

Mine is a little more unusual in that it has a four-sheave intermediate so it is a #715 16-speed Model C, manual change gears, and back-geared. The cross-slide is powered and reversible in the long axis and the short axis is manual.

I do like the spindle speeds I can get, very handy range for nice finishes in brass and decent aluminium parts, yet still works steels nicely and can go even slow enough for plastics without melting.

I'm all in with Joe about collets and potchucks; this has a "short set" (not a full by 64ths range, but the common sizes with enough overlap) as well as milling cutter holders and drawbar, since it came with a milling head (third axis and rotation) for the crosslide, turning it into a pretty decent albeit rudimentary horizontal mill for small bits.

I really do like it, but I need to either sell it on or completely reconfigure my basement and bring it in there in a controlled environment. Right now its out in my car shop, and oddly enough its the winter that is hardest on it; temp cycles near freezing and the condensation is something I continually have to watch like a hawk.

So, if it doesn't sell then I'll get it rigged into the cellar this fall at the cost of some layout space and where a smaller 4" lathe sits now. For me, its overkill but delicious and fun overkill, but not much fun moving the tooling in and out over the winter and the weekly oiling the ways from mid November to mid-March.

So, here you are, Bob. Truly stout bench, BTW. Grin!

IMG_3182.JPG

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:28 pm

It's so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”