Penn Erie (LWS)

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Penn Erie (LWS)

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Some of you may recall Maroon posting a picture of this (maybe “doorstop of the week”?) here last fall. I bought it because it appeared to be largely complete, unusually well built (so far) and had a single All Nation drive in it, snagging it off E-Bay for around $120 on a mid-week close as I recall. Surprised that I was the only bidder. caution-glass of cheap lager my appear closer in photo than in real life
As a bonus, it ran out of the box upon arrival; inspection of the casting showed it had been assembled after some extensive milling including most of the fan openings and the inside of the cab windows (a trick that reduces the “Frankenstein” aspect of the thick casting and somewhat eases the chore of fitting-gluing the glazing) Additional bonus included the installation of side walkway railings (albeit EMD GP style stanchions) and fan screens etc. Apparently though, some excessive fragmenting off the edges around the large rear roof and side fan areas occurred during milling and the builder compensated with applying a thin brass wrapper around the screening. Here’s a comparison with a similar U25B that now resides in Jim’s roster (I bought it at Chicago last year as mate for it but after de-greasing the grimy car body decided it was to too nicely done) note the top rear of the respective units though. If you look at lower left corner of the side fan you can see an example of the same kind of damage. The casting halves themselves were epoxied together, and attached from the inside with a pair of brass plates screw mounted through the car body roofs with the excess ground flush and puttied though visible above if you look closely. As Turner will tell you this method can produce a very clean external seam.
So not a bad deal for all the very clever work already put into it, especially given that I wasn't in the same zip code skill or tool-wise to the original builder. To finish it though meant acquiring a drill press, which I did, and so made it a resolution to complete it this year. It’s been a learning experience.
First task was to complete the carbody details, specifically the end platform railings. I rigged up the drill press to swivel out past the edge the bench and drilled the car body ends vertically while secured in a work mate. Then fashioned the railings out of rod and L channel. Ok, but not terribly sturdy.
Likewise, as the original builder had drilled out two small headlight holes for the gyrating light and emergency light nose pack these sported on the SCL, I molded on a housing-sconce out of marine putty for the twin beam plate.
Next, the chassis. The builder built this clever inverted sub frame for the motor and bolsters, weighting it with bundled arc weld rod stubs.
I discarded the weight and added a second matching All Nation drive. Likewise after some lengthy discussion with Jim in determining the most appropriate the kind of light harness; he supplied a very nifty eight diode board to drive a Circuitron flasher for the nose and the headlight leds.
Here’s the result; the Penn Erie aluminum casting has an odd porous quality to it so I employed an aluminum auto body primer that filled over the coarse surface sufficiently to wet sand smooth. The final coat is gloss black Krylon, I do intend to dull coat the roof area as well, but will leave the sides gloss. I’m happy with the results, it runs well so far and has a batmobile like quality to it. I’m pretty sure it will go over well with the “blue team” (CSX vs NS) at the downtown club. Given that “service,” going with Seaboard Coast Line was a fairly easy decision; my only other realistic choices were Auto Train, Family Lines and Conrail and an appropriate SCL Micro Scale set was readily available.
BTW I always use prototype photos for lettering, appliance details etc. when available and located this suitable candidate on George Elwood’s excellent Fallen Flags site before starting this, having it really helps in some of the step-by decision making.
Pete
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Re: Penn Erie (LWS)

Postby bob turner » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Gorgeous!

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 am

I'll second Turner! Then a bit of chastisement for taunting Bob D. with that road name! :mrgreen:

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 am

Very nice indeed!

Dan Weinhold

herronpeter

Postby herronpeter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 am

A "door stop" lives!! Outstanding..................

Peter

rrjjf

Postby rrjjf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:17 am

Jim,

You did an outstanding job on this cast aluminum model. It shows what can be done with patience and effort to these older O scale models. I am currently re-detailing the mechanism of the Scalecraft K-4s that you sent to me. Going through my collection of lost wax castings I have everything I need to upgrade this model. It will still be a Scalecraft K-4s but perhaps the most detailed one in existence when I am finished with it. Bob Turner's riveted K-4 tender that came with the loco inspired me to upgrade this model. I will send you some photos. I look forward to seeing you at the O Scale convention in Enfield CT later this month.

Joe
Joe Foehrkolb

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Joe --

I truly wish I could take credit for the U-boat, but my brother Pete is the modeler here and all accolades go to him. My only contribution to the project was providing a spare All Nation drive and building a constant, directional lighting setup for the headlights and Mars lights. Here it is in a test on the workbench:

Lighting Module -- Constant Directional Headlights with Mars Light.JPG
Lighting Module -- Constant Directional Headlights with Mars Light.JPG (110.65 KiB) Viewed 8187 times

As Pete mentioned, it took ten diodes (five each way in parallel) -- four to get the voltage needed for the Circuitron Mars Light module and the Richmond "Golden Yellow" LED headlights and one more to get directional isolation. It's a great setup (and one I know you are familiar with, Joe). There is a slight loss of top speed and theoretical maximum drawbar pull with this setup, but unless you run at Lionel speeds or like to lug your locomotives it is not noticeable. However, if you want to MU a unit like this it's best that the other units be set up the same way.

By the way, the presence of a cast Penn-Erie U-boat in the photo is a bit of a coincidence. It's a U25C. Pete's SCL model is a U36B. The U25C is in the queue to get completed as a mate to the U36B, but for now it just holds down the back of my workbench.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 am

Another bump of an old thread. I like Penn Erie models a lot and have plans for an article on these. I recall that there is a Squaw Creek thread somewhere but since the model is a Penn Erie it is also appropriate here:

This model was started by Allan Wehrle and finished by Bob Turner. Note that the high-nose is a customization. The standard Penn Erie casting set is low nose.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

2railjon

Postby 2railjon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Beautiful work!!!!!
Running that red block Charlie.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:51 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:Another bump of an old thread.
I assume this is another Penn Erie model: Ebay #282964724946, O Scale 2 Raill Unpowered Erie Lackawanna U33C

Clicking on the link will probably load a different ebay item -- if it does, look for the sentences "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you." The word "listing" should be a clickable link to the item I'm trying to show you.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:34 pm

I got the Diesel on the first click, but it had been sold. The "click on original listing" button sent me to a trolley.

EBay can be strange . . .

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Penn-Erie, I think, includes the E44, a Shark A unit, and very nice FA models in lifetime brass. You have seen the photos, but if there is current interest, happy to post them again.

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:39 pm

The SCL engine looks like a miraculous recovery.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Chris Rock wrote:The SCL engine looks like a miraculous recovery.

A lump of coal into a diamond!

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:17 pm

I agree with all of the accolades given to this fine model and would like, no, will add my own,
To me it is a stunning model.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”